• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1920S Wheat Cent

37 posts in this topic

I’ve got what I believe to be a 1920S wheat penny on$.10 centavos Argentina copper/Nickel planchette. It weighs 2.9 grams,1.25 mm thick 19.00 mm diameter.Has the Super Worn Red/Brown look with the Reverse side barely visiable. And to my research on the internet there is only 15 known

E2AA4F28-9164-42A1-BFF3-AAA9D3B866E8.jpeg

71851D22-CC74-4EE8-B655-A69824FF5413.jpeg

9884622C-6742-4150-ADE2-068CE1739717.jpeg

870E231D-97AD-4603-BA91-A773B41273F0.jpeg

FF398E5D-5D67-47F1-B114-F184F89F3D65.jpeg

646BC237-94CC-4E02-AA8C-911DA1A529B2.jpeg

E5C30B5A-5668-4960-89E4-7B973F9284DD.jpeg

Edited by JKK
well, I can see that was pointless

To measure diameter with calipers (nylon is best for coins - not steel), place the coin flat then hold the caliper flat and measure. If the coin and caliper are perpendicular, you will likely get an incorrect measurement due to difficulty in measuring across the exact diameter.

PS: You cent is a beat-up 1920, worth 1-cent.

Edited by RWB

NGC GRADED 1just like this number 3467:309-009 heritage auctions I’d lot 9588 June 1.2016 The coin in articles about it it’s supposed to look well worn 

On 5/8/2022 at 6:39 PM, N H Ourso said:

NGC GRADED 1just like this number 3467:309-009 heritage auctions I’d lot 9588 June 1.2016 The coin in articles about it it’s supposed to look well worn 

The coin you referenced doesn't look anything like yours.  Take a look at the color.  Notice how it's silver like a nickel and not copper colored like yours.

I don't understand your comment about being well worn.  The coin in the auction graded Fine.  The condition of that coin has no bearing on the condition of your coin.

None of your data is convincing.  Until you have some compositional data to prove it's 75Cu/25Ni alloy, all you have is a corroded cent.

I hope washing the coin in dawn dishwashing detergent is ok to get all the grime an contamination off coin I’m sending you pictures it doesn’t look like copper 

C91DC519-F597-4A1D-842F-716E9F14E8ED.jpeg

BFED7A85-E206-4634-8DF2-DE14BA356B1E.jpeg

On 5/8/2022 at 6:06 PM, Alex in PA. said:

Back again I see.  Looks like your 'professional' photography hasn't improved.  If NGC graded show us the slab or is this another one of your con jobs?

Why are u so rude I’m not jerking anyone chain an I know that y’all see all types of people but can tell you that I’m honest person an total disabled veteran trying to only have a hobby an not looking to deceive anyone for profit. I may be going at it wrong but got try because I do like the coin hobby an I’m sorry that you have made wrongful judgment of me

On 5/8/2022 at 1:32 PM, Oldhoopster said:

Your coin matches the tolerances for a normal 1920 cent (2.9 grams can be in spec since you're using a scale with only 0.1 gram resolution).  Sorry, but it just looks like a worn, corroded cent

Do you have any compositional analysis?  An Argentina 10 centavo used a 75Cu/25Ni planchet.  This is the same composition as a US nickel.  Your coin is copper colored, not silver like a nickel.  

Unless you can get some data from a handheld XRF that shows the coin has the same comp as a nickel, you don't have anything, since all of your data matches a US cent

Chk photo again I wash coin in dawn detergent for a few hours to remove dir grime an years of contaminants 

On 5/8/2022 at 6:13 PM, Oldhoopster said:

The coin you referenced doesn't look anything like yours.  Take a look at the color.  Notice how it's silver like a nickel and not copper colored like yours.

I don't understand your comment about being well worn.  The coin in the auction graded Fine.  The condition of that coin has no bearing on the condition of your coin.

None of your data is convincing.  Until you have some compositional data to prove it's 75Cu/25Ni alloy, all you have is a corroded cent.

That’s the same coin I just wash it in a jewelry cleaner with detergent dawn for 3 hr an now it look not copper not magnetic 

On 5/8/2022 at 7:31 PM, N H Ourso said:

That’s the same coin I just wash it in a jewelry cleaner with detergent dawn for 3 hr an now it look not copper not magnetic 

That’s what another person told it was supposed to nickel look to be Argentina planchette hope I didn’t ruin it

On 5/8/2022 at 8:06 PM, N H Ourso said:

Chk photo again I wash coin in dawn detergent for a few hours to remove dir grime an years of contaminants 

I give up.  You need proof that the composition is 75% copper and 25% nickel.  Additional pics with manipulated lighting isn't proof.  Weights and dimensions aren't proof, especially since they meet the specs for a cent.  Do you want us to trust your opinion and say "congrats, you found a rare error"?

Believe what you want, but until you show some XRF data or have it authenticated by a TPG, you still only have a corroded cent.

On 5/8/2022 at 7:34 PM, Oldhoopster said:

I give up.  You need proof that the composition is 75% copper and 25% nickel.  Additional pics with manipulated lighting isn't proof.  Weights and dimensions aren't proof, especially since they meet the specs for a cent.  Do you want us to trust your opinion and say "congrats, you found a rare error"?

Believe what you want, but until you show some XRF data or have it authenticated by a TPG, you still only have a corroded cent.

Dang you hard how do I do this I live in a small co town I’ll be glad to send it somewhere 

What chemical did you put this poor cent in? I don’t think Dawn dish soap would turn a coin that black in a few hours. 

I’m case you have any other coins please please please never try and clean them. You clearly haven’t grasped this yet, and I truly want to do you a favor. You asked on the dollar posts why the coins were ruined when they looked better than dirty ones. The whole point is preservation. Coin collecting isn’t an arts and crafts hobby where you make them into something neat. The whole point is how good the coin has been preserved since the day it left the mint. Doing anything to it is a big no no. There are a very few cases where a knowledgeable chemical soak may help, but only after you learn how and when to do it properly. Do yourself a favor and do not clean coins. You may think you are helping but you are not. 

On 5/8/2022 at 7:41 PM, N H Ourso said:

Dang you hard how do I do this I live in a small co town I’ll be glad to send it somewhere 

He is trying to tell you that color isn’t indicative of anything. Metals can turn many colors for many reasons. Everything you have shown so far says this is a common as dirt cent in poor condition. It goes back to the old adage of when you hear hoof beats you should assume horses not zebras. The logical answer is it’s just a normal cent, and it’s unclear why you would assume otherwise. It’s within all tolerances as stated. Why would you assume it’s something else?

On 5/8/2022 at 7:49 PM, N H Ourso said:

Dawn dish liquid in one of those jewelry vibrating machines for 3 hr

Well you have completely ruined it for sure now. 

I didn’t answer your question earlier. If you are still convinced it’s something special you can send it to NGC. They do offer XRF analysis, and I’m sure it isn’t cheap. You can waste $100 on the coin if you want. They won’t slab it now because of the damage your cleaning did. But you can be assured it’s just a common wheat cent if you want to blow the money. 

On 5/8/2022 at 7:44 PM, Woods020 said:

He is trying to tell you that color isn’t indicative of anything. Metals can turn many colors for many reasons. Everything you have shown so far says this is a common as dirt cent in poor condition. It goes back to the old adage of when you hear hoof beats you should assume horses not zebras. The logical answer is it’s just a normal cent, and it’s unclear why you would assume otherwise. It’s within all tolerances as stated. Why would you assume it’s something else?

Because it’s Dufy in weight and it was shined metal color  it’s thinner than my other  1920 cent on rev side worn smooth with no rim an obverse still has complete rim San just minimal surface wear on Lincoln then started reading about the 1920s lincoln cent  it went to Argentina planchette I started chk weight dia thickness an color an to me all matched up so that’s the reason  And coin isn’t as dark as photo it’s dried out now I’ll send photos 

6702F13E-D38B-447C-BD08-F71F54721288.jpeg

B1B15073-1E97-4524-8DB7-1C17301DB51B.jpeg

The new photos are much better. Aim for at least this photo quality in future posts. They clearly show it is a damaged, corroded 1920 cent. Doesn't matter if it had rainbow-skittle stripes and polka dots; it is what it is.

You asked for opinions from experienced collectors and that is what they provided.

There is absolutely nothing here to indicate anything other than a normal corroded Lincoln cent. The weight is normal and it is copper colored. You can spend the money to pursue it, just make sure it is money you are willing to lose.

Hey, maybe the guy’s beat to death corroded 1920 cent “identifies as” some Argentine whatever. It is a new era after all in which facts are what we wish them to be and “pregnant man” emojis are okay. 

On 5/9/2022 at 7:48 PM, VKurtB said:

Hey @Woods020, “No step too high fo’ a high steppah”. Am I right?

I get so sick of hearing grannie's campaign ads :juggle:

On 5/9/2022 at 8:03 PM, Woods020 said:

I get so sick of hearing grannie's campaign ads :juggle:

Lots of money, I guess. 

On 5/9/2022 at 8:09 PM, VKurtB said:

Lots of money, I guess. 

One of my undergraduate degrees is in political science yet I have grown to be sickened by the whole process. I did pre-law hence that degree, but changed course after a semester in law school. Totally distinct from views and political beliefs the process, from any party, is theater at best and words the moderators won't allow in reality. As if any of them are going to accomplish 1/5 of what they claim in their campaign..... And it all devolves into hit pieces against their competition very quickly. 

On 5/9/2022 at 8:14 PM, Woods020 said:

One of my undergraduate degrees is in political science yet I have grown to be sickened by the whole process. I did pre-law hence that degree, but changed course after a semester in law school. Totally distinct from views and political beliefs the process, from any party, is theater at best and words the moderators won't allow in reality. As if any of them are going to accomplish 1/5 of what they claim in their campaign..... And it all devolves into hit pieces against their competition very quickly. 

With fields THIS full, it is amazing. I think I’ve caught EVERY major candidate lying his or her butt off. I can only imagine what PA has been like this cycle. I know most of the best PA consultants personally, and they have no familiarity with truth, nor do they care.