• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mint Error Attribution on NGC Graded Coin
2 2

21 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am trying to figure out how to have a mint error added to an NGC graded coin. Specifically, I'd like to have rotated dies (hopefully medallic alignment) added to an MS63 2 cent piece. I know it's sort of an obvious error to spot, but I'd rather have NGC attribute the MA and not have to argue with people about whether or not it is. How do I go about requesting this service? I cannot choose the Mint Error service without checking a grading tier on the online form. If I select the grading tier, will NGC only charge for the Mint Error, or should I expect to pay for a grading tier and the Mint Error Attribution. I figure its worth it for $18, but likely not if the grading tier fee also applies. Thanks in advance!

Well, it's an obvious error.  I would think the$18 error fee plus maybe a re-holder fee, not sure.

Someone from NGC will chime in here I'm sure to help you.  @LISA B

Or post your question here:

Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 10.14.40 AM.png

That is a good looking cent. I am not sure if you will get a error on that piece. I agree it is off center but not enough for a error. That is just my opinion I am not a coin grader just a collector.

Edited by J P Mashoke

On 5/8/2022 at 1:12 PM, J P Mashoke said:

That is a good looking cent. I am not sure if you will get a error on that piece. I agree it is off center but not enough for a error. That is just my opinion I am not a coin grader just a collector.

It's a 180 rotation.  

On 5/8/2022 at 2:04 PM, Oldhoopster said:

It's a 180 rotation.  

This illustration should help. Notice the labels at top. The coin is "medal turn." If it were normal "coin turn" the "2 cents" would be upside down.

8687A0BB-5E07-4347-B9D6-E53EFC54EA83.jpeg.2dc98c6610110b5f8b8b06d0f0f12bb1.thumb.jpg.73f987bebf5b032a3ce7f0f56319268f.jpg

Edited by RWB

Thank you, I really lucked out with this! I bought it locally on fb marketplace. I don’t think the seller knew it was an error, they had it pictured so you couldn’t see the orientation in the slab. When I saw it in person I knew I needed it!

On 5/8/2022 at 2:10 PM, FrankIII said:

Thank you, I really lucked out with this! I bought it locally on fb marketplace. I don’t think the seller knew it was an error, they had it pictured so you couldn’t see the orientation in the slab. When I saw it in person I knew I needed it!

Nice find, but understand this era was the zenith of frequency of rotated dies. Not terribly rare. 

Nice find. I like the woodgrain toning. I think it’s worth noting, and I don’t usually feel many errors are worth it. 180 degree rotation is very interesting. Great two cent piece!

On 5/8/2022 at 2:04 PM, Oldhoopster said:

It's a 180 rotation.  

LoL Silly me, I needed a cup of coffee before commenting on that :whistle:

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

NGC will most definitely denote the rotated dies. Submit it for just Mint Error attribution at $18. You don't need to pay for a grading fee.

• Administrator

Hello,

Yes, send this as a mint error.  It will be designated as Medallic Alignment.

Thanks,

Lisa

Maybe they'll accept my "Double 180 Degree Rotation" coin....? ;)

Checking to see if I have any documents mentioning this for 1864 2-cent pieces.

Don't get too excited over the 180 degree rotation.  There is at least one common1864 variety where all or almost all of the coins have a 180 degree rotated reverse.

On 5/13/2022 at 8:35 PM, Conder101 said:

Don't get too excited over the 180 degree rotation.  There is at least one common1864 variety where all or almost all of the coins have a 180 degree rotated reverse.

When I look at my 2-cent and 3-cent nickel Dansco album, and flip the pages and look at the reverses, it’s amazing how few of them are the perfect alignment. 

On 5/13/2022 at 9:35 PM, Conder101 said:

Excited? Of course I'm excited. I accidentally stumbled on something I wasn't expecting. Do I think it's worth $500? No, but it is exciting, and one of the best parts of the hobby - you really never truly know what you're going to get!

On 5/8/2022 at 7:41 PM, DWLange said:

NGC will most definitely denote the rotated dies. Submit it for just Mint Error attribution at $18. You don't need to pay for a grading fee.

Thank you! I suppose I have to do a paper form? The online form does not allow selecting only Mint Error service.