• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1901P morgan unfiltered photo

22 posts in this topic

I prevouisly sent filtered photos of my 1901P Morgan thinking that the black mirror back ground shouldn’t show black every time I took a photo not knowing it was 7DC8A29F-70D9-455C-B790-CB6C49BCD49C.thumb.jpeg.6e54e36304557f712db6173000d36571.jpeg1FCD246E-85A5-4EA3-B00C-AF8761EE5E1D.thumb.jpeg.bcdaa58d12fd69f5fe7761b3edfde719.jpegsuppose to do that due to mirror surface on the coin. There has to many people that say  they are nnb by collectors but over I’ve figured out they only have coins they only collect an have veer littte working knowledge . This why have coins come to people as you that have the experience an knowledge. And I’m sorry about the filtered photo on the 1901 Morgan

This one may actually be plated. Fair to say it isn’t natural. Don’t overthink the pics. With cell phones these days it’s not hard to get a picture plenty good enough for our purposes. Take them straight on from above. Add some decent lighting. Don’t mess with changing any levels. Then crop it to fill the majority of the screen, but not so much you lose sharpness. Do that and I think we can tell you more. 

On 5/7/2022 at 5:40 PM, Woods020 said:

These pics still aren’t worthwhile, but I do believe a decent picture will show this coin has been wizzed/polished. 

FrWell l really have know knowledge of tha this coin as stated before been in bank lockbox for 94 years an I’m 75 an it had to done  in its first 50 years an I dont know what whizzing is

On 5/7/2022 at 7:22 PM, Woods020 said:

This one may actually be plated. Fair to say it isn’t natural. Don’t overthink the pics. With cell phones these days it’s not hard to get a picture plenty good enough for our purposes. Take them straight on from above. Add some decent lighting. Don’t mess with changing any levels. Then crop it to fill the majority of the screen, but not so much you lose sharpness. Do that and I think we can tell you more. 

Ok have friend that’s really good with camera will update photo asap

On 5/7/2022 at 7:35 PM, N H Ourso said:

FrWell l really have know knowledge of tha this coin as stated before been in bank lockbox for 94 years an I’m 75 an it had to done  in its first 50 years an I dont know what whizzing is

Ok have friend that’s really good with camera will update photo asap

Whizzing is what many people call using a rotary wheel to polish a coin. The coin is ruined as said. The extra pics would only be to determine more about how. It has the look of possibly having been Mercury plated. Either way it’s polished to death or plated, the end result of either is a ruined coin

I’m trying to take pictures of the coin but the mirror finish reflect any light an pick it up it even get my reflection  did know taking a picture was so hard to do on silver coins so I’m sending photo of coin without filter an filtered phots in matte form not reflecting with blk mirror background ok a piece string or thread sho in one picture my shadow is on libertys face I just can’t seem to get photo correct but the filtered photo shows her cheek All my rev photo say to large on upload i will try to compress them but will send these now to

3D81CB72-309D-4307-9B24-13D6BFFC7E16.jpeg

D4CA7616-D124-460E-8AC1-38DA0A84ED3E.jpeg

BA4058A6-C462-4A5D-B06B-D8FFB2E58577.jpeg

F910BFFD-9AB8-4891-A3B5-B0AE89DDBBFB.jpeg

Both coins are ruined and only worth base silver content. Shame someone felt the need to “improve” them. 

It’s just one coin it was my grandmother’s an wasn’t planning on  selling it had it in our possession for 94 years an it always look like that since I was a child  But I have been offered some pretty real money for it  though. I know all collectors look at the coin being ruin. But to me it’s a very beautiful coin look much better than my photos my photography sucks  But thank you for your opinion. Can you answer one question why? Is the coin hurt it looks so much better than a dirty one but that’s me I’m not a collector. But I do have another coin 1920S  lincoln cent that’s on a Argentina 10 centavo planchette I will post very soon

On 5/8/2022 at 11:08 AM, Alex in PA. said:

1901 = plated.  1878 = buillion only.

Sir your wrong on both not being disrespectful 1878 is 7TF REV79 an is certified as aPL I was just playing  with it under different lighting  also you can do the ruler an readrule out to 12 inch you can read wording on paper without no problem And the 1901 conclusion was it was polished in the first 40years the past 94 years it’s been in lock box at bank

On 5/8/2022 at 12:49 PM, N H Ourso said:

Sir your wrong on both not being disrespectful 1878 is 7TF REV79 an is certified as aPL I was just playing  with it under different lighting  also you can do the ruler an readrule out to 12 inch you can read wording on paper without no problem And the 1901 conclusion was it was polished in the first 40years the past 94 years it’s been in lock box at bank

No legitimate authentication service or coin seller would: a) authenticate either coin, and b) designate either "proof like."  Variety of your 1878 dollar is immaterial - the coin was ruined long ago. Woods Alex and the others are entirely correct.

Well it doesn’t Matt to me because I can’t undo what someone did over a 100 years ago an they where my grandmother  an  pass them on to my grandchildren I knot that you guys are professional an l really respect your answers .The only one I can seen to understand is why a clean or polish coin is ruined to me they look great the next coin I post isn’t pretty but I think it’s very rare an vey few of them

I have a 3 or 4 Morgan's that have been handed down through the years and all of them have been polished. One with a wheel like yours and others that were maybe just a shirt tail wipe. It still comes down to the fact that the natural patina from when the coin was struck has been removed. I happens a lot and most people cant see it ,once you know how to look for the small lines it will be forever in the back of you mind if you collect coins.  

To build on what @J P Mashoke said, collectors prefer original surfaces. Polishing, abrasive cleaning, and chemical dipping remove the original surfaces and leave an unnatural appearance. That's why the collector value of such coins is heavily discounted.  

Even though the coins have strong sentimental value, please be aware the reality is that these coins will have a reduced value if they ever come to market.  What's been done to the coin can't be undone.  Sorry

Long ago my grandmother gave me a silver dollar on my birthday for each year of my age. If not bright and new, her way of making them "better" was to shine them with pot cleaner, or wipe them vigorously on her kitchen apron with stone ground flour. Back then it didn't matter - silver dollars were available at any bank, saloon, or cat-house.

Edited by RWB

On 5/8/2022 at 12:12 PM, N H Ourso said:

Well it doesn’t Matt to me because I can’t undo what someone did over a 100 years ago an they where my grandmother  an  pass them on to my grandchildren I knot that you guys are professional an l really respect your answers .The only one I can seen to understand is why a clean or polish coin is ruined to me they look great the next coin I post isn’t pretty but I think it’s very rare an vey few of them

I apologize if my answers were offensive. I understand the sentimental value and that is priceless. I have two Morgan dollars from my grandfather that mean the world to me, but they are common dates in circulated condition. The condition of the two coins versus their value to you are very different things. The coins have been ruined from a numismatic standpoint. I know that’s tough to hear but true. They aren’t proof like or anything else other than altered beyond collectibility. Now putting them in a nice holder and enjoying them for what they are, sentimental items, will bring you a lot of personal value. 

Edited by Woods020

I was just playing  with it under different lighting

So, you admit you're a fraud.  So, put up or git.  Lets see full shots of these A Number One slabs.  :devil:

Sir your wrong on both not being disrespectful 1878 is 7TF REV79 an is certified as aPL

Certified by who?  It isn't in a recognized TPG holder so it is raw and not certified.  If it was in a holder at one time once it was removed it is no longer certified.

On 5/8/2022 at 1:12 PM, N H Ourso said:

they where my grandmother  an  pass them on to my grandchildren

And that gives them sentimental value that will always trump, at least for you, whatever retail or wholesale value they might have.

On 5/8/2022 at 1:12 PM, N H Ourso said:

The only one I can seen to understand is why a clean or polish coin is ruined to me they look great the next coin I post isn’t pretty but I think it’s very rare an vey few of them

Because to a coin collector, of which you are not, they have been unnaturally altered and ruined. Your silver dollar is not "rare" in any condition, but with polishing it has been totally wrecked. Collectors want coins that are as close as possible to their original condition.