• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

conservation,is it worth it? will it get that 1 point that could change my life
1 1

21 posts in this topic

so the 1886-o morgan dollar is most likely going to be my 1st coin to have graded and want to do the conservation. if it helps it, in grade/value. based on my research and photo comparisons(not 100% accurate, I already know) im pretty confident it will grade at, at least MS 64 but most likel;y higher, but the cost of conservation is causing me to not send it in so my ? is, since there is a price min. of $25 is there a price cap on this service? this would be NGC 1st to grade at MS65(should it get that grade.) the most recent sold as a MS65 at heritage for $156,000 in feb so is that  what they would base fair market value at which would be $6,000 at 4% plus all the other fees i cant afford that! how would you handle this?

032.jpeg

032a.jpeg

Edited by Shawn11
Grammer

Conservation does not automatically mean that you are going to get a point added to your grade.  the coin will still be the same grade it will just be.  professonally cleaned and stablized.

On 5/5/2022 at 5:25 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Let NGC tell you if it's worth conserving, as long as you don't check "Decline Conservation" on the submission form they will typically recommend conservation if they feel the coin would benefit from it. That's been my experience at any rate. 

I don't think the coin will grade high enough to sniff 65 but it's hard to give an accurate evaluation of where it may fall on the grading scale based on those pictures.

so they will contact you and ask

On 5/5/2022 at 8:06 AM, Shawn11 said:

so they will contact you and ask

yes they will send you an email.. and say tht this coin is a good candidate for conservation would you like it. and you would have to answer them

On 5/5/2022 at 9:06 AM, bsshog40 said:

I'm not seeing a 65 on that. Some pretty good nics on the face and neck. 

Absolutely NOT a 65. No chance whatsoever. 

The photos do not seem to indicate a gem level coin, maybe with better photos the opinions would be different.   I would not be shocked if it came back details ex-jewelry, the obv rim looks pretty chewed up from 4 to 6 o'clock.   Also what do you see that you think needs conserving?   The TPG's only use the conservation process when there is something on the coin like active PVC or haze on a proof, I do not see anything in your photos to suggest any foreign substances on the surfaces.

Edited by Coinbuf

I’m with Coinbuf I don’t see anything that conserving would impact. I don’t believe NGC would in any way say this is a candidate. 

I also agree that this is not a 65 coin. I believe these pictures actually show the coin better than it is. 

Reverse photo suggests the coin is not Uncirculated, although some TPG will claim an AU is "MS-63."

"Conservation" will stabilize the surface and remove most extraneous debris, but nothing will "restore" the coin.

Edited by RWB

@Shawn11 can you post more pics? No editing just straight on pics with decent lighting? Don’t worry about putting circle cropping into a background. In the current pictures we can’t see a lot of fine detail particularly in the fields or fine lines. It’s too smoothed in these pics if that makes any sense. We can give you a much better idea if you can do that. 

On 5/5/2022 at 1:56 PM, RWB said:

Reverse photo suggests the coin is not Uncirculated, although some TPG will claim an AU is "MS-63."

"Conservation" will stabilize the surface and remove most extraneous debris, but nothing will "restore" the coin.

Extraneous debris typically means organic shmutz. 

It is not likely it will get a 65. I think maybe 64 if you get someone grading on a good day but most likely a 63. Alex said it looks like it was in a bezel. I think that may be the ring look I see on the reverse.

And there are the cleaning signs I was fairly certain weren’t coming though on the processed pics. I’m confident it won’t straight grade. And conservation can do nothing to reverse that. 

Aside from the cleaning it still wouldn’t be a 64 or 65 coin. 

Edited by Woods020

Shawn11 -- New photos are much better at showing the coin as-is. Clearly AU and cleaned. I agree with Woods020 and FlyingAl.

Arrows point to the "halo" of  abrasion and field disturbance that separate a circulated from Uncirculated coin. On your coin these areas also have evidence of cleaning/chemical dipping. The obverse has similar indicators to left of Liberty's profile.

IMG_20220506_085616270_HDR.jpg.616f728851f7232cf1159c3453db75d6.thumb.jpg.68a835bb369258ea1604ebb3b614c424.jpg

Edited by RWB

Yes those new photos tell the story, you would be wasting your money to send this coin to any TPG for any type of service.   That does not mean that you cannot still enjoy the coin just that it will not benefit from conservation and has an almost 0% chance to straight grade.   Get a Kointane type of holder and just enjoy it for what it is