• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trivia Question
1 1

42 posts in this topic

There is a fairly recent (this century) U.S. coin that can be acquired as a reverse proof, but has never been available ANYWHERE as a standard “regular” proof. Name that coin. And I’m not talking a mint mark difference either. 

On 4/30/2022 at 2:38 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Its not the 2006 $50 gold eagle is it?

I don’t think so. At any rate, it’s not the one I was thinking of. Think much cheaper. 

On 4/30/2022 at 4:00 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

How about this one.

75EF5315-26B9-4FA2-8575-15C7753C9127.jpeg

That’s why I said it’s not a mint mark difference. Good job though. There ARE 2014 Kennedy halves in regular proof, in both silver and clad. The one I’m thinking of does not exist as a regular proof AT ALL, any mint, but it does as a reverse proof. Hint: you can’t buy the reverse proof by itself from the Mint. 

Another hint: a space for the non-existent regular proof DOES EXIST in the relevant Dansco album. Mind blown yet? Kinda like my old Jefferson Nickel Whitman folder with a marked space for a 1965-D nickel. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 4/30/2022 at 5:20 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Ok one more try

78B275AF-799C-4372-8EC7-E983EBD5868F.jpeg

They have those in regular proofs also. I got a set of each still in the packs and also bought a set graded. All in 69. Pf69, ms69, and rp69

At first I was thinking 2019 palladium eagle, but there are 2 proof versions and not all that much cheaper than the gold piece mentioned above. Becoming stumped. 

Could we be reading the question incorrectly? Did the OP really intend to say "proof reverse" rather than "reverse proof" or possibly "80 proof?"

The George H.W. Bush dollar was released as a reverse proof only in the coin and chronicles set, never as a regular finish proof. Uncirculated examples can be obtained from the Philadelphia and Denver mints in special mint offerings (not issued for circulation). 

On 5/1/2022 at 3:33 AM, l.cutler said:

George H. W. Bush Presidential dollar?

THAT’S THE ONE!!!!’

DING! DING! DING!

No regular proof ever made, only the “blackface” reverse proof in the C&C set. 

Edited by VKurtB

I don't know why they did this, and the Unc. version was not offered as a set in P & D. To get P and D coins you are expected to buy rolls I guess. I have always been interested in the presidents and this is the ONLY modern series I have collected!

How many times over the years on this Forum have we asked the question:  "Why did the United States Mint do that?"  I, and it's just my opinion, say that the Mint has rarely had a valid reason for doing the absurd.

On 5/3/2022 at 8:25 AM, Alex in PA. said:

How many times over the years on this Forum have we asked the question:  "Why did the United States Mint do that?"  I, and it's just my opinion, say that the Mint has rarely had a valid reason for doing the absurd.

Attend ANY event at which U.S. Mint personnel are present. They really are dumb as a bag of hammers, both management and front line staffers. They are some of the most clueless people you’ll ever encounter in numismatics. They. Understand. Nothing. This includes Directors, and Acting Directors of the Mint just as much, if not more so, than any other level of staff. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/3/2022 at 12:56 PM, VKurtB said:

They really are dumb as a bag of hammers, both management and front line staffers

I have to agree with you.  Just look at the resurgence of the Morgan/Peace Dollar fiasco.  That's just one incident in a long list of numismatic disasters.  It's almost a crying shame that, under at least one administration, the United States Mint can't have a decent showing and give it's customers better service.  But then; my opinion is biased.

On 5/3/2022 at 12:56 PM, VKurtB said:

Attend ANY event at which U.S. Mint personnel are present. They really are dumb as a bag of hammers, both management and front line staffers. They are some of the most clueless people you’ll ever encounter in numismatics. They. Understand. Nothing. This includes Directors, and Acting Directors of the Mint just as much, if not more so, than any other level of staff. 

Great argument for moving Mint HQ to Alabama, Mississippi, or Arkansas. That will make hiring incompetents much easier, and cheaper -- especially the legal staff. :)

As usual VKurtB's comments represent his prevailing ignorance and inability to look beyond superficiality. Nothing new except the label. And remember, your ANA gives awards to those who "are dumb as a bag of hammers." ;)

Edited by RWB

On 5/3/2022 at 2:22 PM, RWB said:

Great argument for moving Mint HQ to Alabama, Mississippi, or Arkansas. That will make hiring incompetents much easier, and cheaper -- especially the legal staff. :)

As usual VKurtB's comments represent his prevailing ignorance and inability to look beyond superficiality. Nothing new except the label. And remember, your ANA gives awards to those who "are dumb as a bag of hammers." ;)

Well, they already moved the fulfillment center for Mint products to the Deep South. And the Charlotte, Dahlonega, and New Orleans mints were in the south, too. 

They must’ve given you one then?

Ahhh...the Smedley award, once an honor for positive service, now given for running ANA into the sewer and fixing its place as "clueless" in Colorado Springs.

On 5/3/2022 at 2:38 PM, RWB said:

Ahhh...the Smedley award, once an honor for positive service, now given for running ANA into the sewer and fixing its place as "clueless" in Colorado Springs.

So we’ll have the Smedley in common then. Look, the ANA shouldn’t be in Colorado Springs, but it is. Colorado Springs shouldn’t be the quasi-permanent home of the March show, but it looks like it’s gonna be. Rosemont shouldn’t be the quasi-permanent home of the World’s Fair of Money, but it is. People who are on the Board apparently want things this way. 

Edited by VKurtB

As compared to the brain trust in the DC general area? I wouldn't be so quick to throw rocks at the south when you live in the quintessential glass house.

Look at the education, income, social and civil rights equality, and almost any other measure of a positive society - the named states are at or near the bottom, and show no sign of changing. Failure = is institutionalized and politicized. Outside of the Federally funded facilities, and small university campuses, there is a vast waste of human talent and resources. Much like the Taliban in Afghanistan, who have discarded the talent of half their population, the named states and a couple of others destroy their futures by coordinated and calculated ignorance and social/economic blindness. Every locality has some portion of this -- so those named places are not alone - but most other places are more diverse and do not have the success-stifling approach change.

There is no "...brain trust in the DC general area?" any more than the result of a positive approach to education, ideas, economics, individual talent, and tolerance for differing ideas over the broader region. Beneficial change is not easy, and many mistakes are made and will continue to be made. But unless a large jurisdiction, such as a state tries, it will never give its residents the same opportunity to succeed that exist elsewhere in the country.

On 5/4/2022 at 9:02 PM, RWB said:

Look at the education, income, social and civil rights equality, and almost any other measure of a positive society - the named states are at or near the bottom, and show no sign of changing. Failure = is institutionalized and politicized. Outside of the Federally funded facilities, and small university campuses, there is a vast waste of human talent and resources. Much like the Taliban in Afghanistan, who have discarded the talent of half their population, the named states and a couple of others destroy their futures by coordinated and calculated ignorance and social/economic blindness. Every locality has some portion of this -- so those named places are not alone - but most other places are more diverse and do not have the success-stifling approach change.

There is no "...brain trust in the DC general area?" any more than the result of a positive approach to education, ideas, economics, individual talent, and tolerance for differing ideas over the broader region. Beneficial change is not easy, and many mistakes are made and will continue to be made. But unless a large jurisdiction, such as a state tries, it will never give its residents the same opportunity to succeed that exist elsewhere in the country.

Not the time or the place but I would disagree largely. I have lived in many parts of the country, and simple statistics never tell a full story. For example the farmers producing the food you eat I personally would not consider a "vast waste of human talent and resources", but that isn't accounted for in the statistics you reference. I do agree the populations are largely different in many areas, including percentage of college education and career. I just fundamentally disagree it means it is a failure. I also recognize this is a coin forum and not the place for the debate.

Edited by Woods020

On 5/4/2022 at 9:47 PM, Woods020 said:

Not the time or the place but I would disagree largely. I have lived in many parts of the country, and simple statistics never tell a full story. For example the farmers producing the food you eat I personally would not consider a "vast waste of human talent and resources", but that isn't accounted for in the statistics you reference. I do agree the populations are largely different in many areas, including percentage of college education and career. I just fundamentally agree it means it is a failure. I also recognize this is a coin forum and not the place for the debate.

But this is ALWAYS the appropriate place for RWB to present his ill-informed opinions as tortured “facts”, (as if…), am I right?  By the way, I’ll put my formal south central Pennsylvania based education up against anyone’s anywhere, and that includes the Ivy League and the schools in Oxford and Cambridge in England. My school is every bit as hard to get into. 

Edited by VKurtB