• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gold Plated 1879 CC Morgan Silver Dollar

14 posts in this topic

I have just come into the possession of a CC Morgan silver dollar that has been locked away on a glass broach for a long time. It is in fantastic condition, and seems to check out as genuine.

The problem is, it has been gold plated for the broach.

Should I look at getting the gold plating removed somehow? Will having it on or off effect the value of the coin?

I wish to get it certified by NGC but not sure if it should have to gold plating removed, or is it intrinsically devalued because of the gold plating?

The ring you can see in the head shot photo is a small ring holding the coin in the broach.

Thanks for any advice

CC Morgan 1.jpg

CC Morgan 2.jpg

Welcome to the forum. I would say this would not be a good candidate to be graded. It may have damage from being placed in the broach or removing it. It looks to already have damage around the rim on the reverse. The gold plating would be another issue. As a plated coin it won’t grade. Removing the plating may damage it even more. I don’t think it has a very good chance of coming back with a straight grade, but let some of the others chime in and tell you what they think.

Edited by Lem E

Thanks LemE, the rim you are looking at is not part of the coin, but part of the broach surround that is holding the coin in place. 

Maybe I should have removed it from the broach before taking the pictures, but was eager to know if it is worth trying to restore the coin to an original condition. 

this coin would not be graded by NGC.. if they holder it at all it will say removed from jewlery. details 

Everyone is correct, the bezel has likely left marks on the edge of the coin and if submitted that alone will result in a details grade.   And even if by some miracle it came out of the bezel unharmed there is the issue of the plating which again would result in a details grade.

However, even a details 1879-CC has significant value so depending on how much it cost to acquire this coin it may well be worth it to submit it.

On 4/21/2022 at 6:09 AM, Undergruff said:

Thanks LemE, the rim you are looking at is not part of the coin, but part of the broach surround that is holding the coin in place. 

From the pictures, I can see that there is obvious damage to the rim and denticles on the reverse.

It's a rare date/mint in damaged condition. It will be of significant value only to a limited type of buyer. Most Morgan dollar collectors willing to buy a 79-CC will not want a damaged coin. Note that hundreds of MS63 and MS64 coins have been authenticated. Your coin is about Extremely Fine for wear and would be worth around $1,200 undamaged.

The advantage of running it through NGC is authentication, not "grading." At the least, you will know it is not a counterfeit and can attempt to sell it in its present condition. Have a jeweler remove it from the broach and insist on not damaging the coin any further.

Edited by RWB

Thanks everyone for the advise. I paid about $120 for the broach so was hoping to make a bit of money from the coin.

Is the option to chemically strip the gold off by taking it to an electroplating shop feasible? It seems to be the only way the gold  old be removed cleanly. 

On 4/21/2022 at 6:22 PM, Undergruff said:

Thanks everyone for the advise. I paid about $120 for the broach so was hoping to make a bit of money from the coin.

Is the option to chemically strip the gold off by taking it to an electroplating shop feasible? It seems to be the only way the gold  old be removed cleanly. 

@RWB provides sound advice above.  Any attempt to restore the coin and remove the plating will only do more damage to the coin.  You are best to proceed in the fashion above, or simply have it removed from the bezel and leave it raw.  I wish you luck.

Leave it. Why chance damaging it further by trying to remove the bezel, and since the bezel has already damaged the coin why risk further damage by messing around with the plating. What's done is done at this point. You still stand to make a nice profit, I'd save myself the aggravation, trouble and added cost and sell it as is to a good home. Other option would be to do as Roger suggests and have the bezel removed by a jeweler then send to NGC for authentication. I would also contact NGC prior to any of this and see if they will actually slab it with the gold plating. Good Luck.(thumbsu

On 4/21/2022 at 5:22 PM, Undergruff said:

I frankly don’t believe what has been done to this coin even is reversible. I don’t believe “the gold  old be removed cleanly” is even a thing.