• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Toned coins

18 posts in this topic

Still been creating my collection and I keep coming across people selling toned coins at a premium. Coins that would normally be $50-60 bucks based off of red book, going for 3x that price because of the Coloring of the coin.

Maybe it’s just my preference but I prefer coins to look as close to the original state as I can afford. 

Why are toned silver coins so valued? Am I missing something? 

Just trying to understand better. Thanks! 

Some people think that blast white or mint red coins are boring, some just like the pretty colors, and some just follow what their heroes do, not overly complicated.

A large proportion of the "toned" coins you see offered have been artificially colored, then priced as if they were natural products. Visually appealing toning on circulated coins is especially unusual and is one sign of a coin having been cleaned then artificially colored to hide the mess. If you buy from reputable coin dealers and auction companies you will be in a better position to acquire nice coins for your collection. In the price range mentioned, you can find some nice coins in NGC, PCGS and ANACS holders.

What RWB said.  The Coin Doctors, aka 'Shake and Bake' artists churn toned Morgans out by the dozen on a daily basis.  Pretty ain't always good.

On 4/21/2022 at 12:08 PM, Alex in PA. said:

What RWB said.  The Coin Doctors, aka 'Shake and Bake' artists churn toned Morgans out by the dozen on a daily basis.  Pretty ain't always good.

So I'm not particularly interested in the toned coins. Just my personal preference to have them look like they came from the mint. 

But would NGC certify a toned coin if it's been toned artificially? 

Also good to know from fellow collectors that it's just a preference thing and not necessarily a more valuable coin just because it's got toning. 

On 4/21/2022 at 9:11 AM, SirDubre said:

So I'm not particularly interested in the toned coins. Just my personal preference to have them look like they came from the mint. 

But would NGC certify a toned coin if it's been toned artificially? 

Also good to know from fellow collectors that it's just a preference thing and not necessarily a more valuable coin just because it's got toning. 

Yes every TPG has slabbed coins that have been "helped" in one way or the other, the term you need to become comfortable with is "market acceptable".   Even some natural ways of toning can be accelerated so what would take decades can be achieved in months, and it is very difficult to differentiate.   I can without a doubt say this because there are multiple examples of AT coins in straight graded slabs from every TPG.

Value is a function of demand, any item be it a coin or a sofa is worth what someone is willing to buy/sell it for.   In todays coin market toned coins (legit or AT) are in high demand so most of the time a toned coin will have a higher value vs a blast white coin of the same date/mm.   So no, coins with color are valued higher simply because of the color, and yes that is because a high percentage of the market prefers it right now.   What the market will want in ten or twenty years is anybody's guess.

I agree with what was stated above... some people just like "rainbow coins".  I admit, I like toned coins, but I cannot have a 3x cost basis to acquire them.  If you are picky and patient, a collector can find toned coins with very little premium over white coins.

Personally, when I see a classic coin that is blast white, I assume that the coin has been dipped (I am not saying that dipping is always a bad thing).  I am always trying to see some level on toning consistent with the age.  This is particularly true of silver coins.  I am not saying that my coins are all "rainbow toned", some are frosty battleship grey toning, and I do have a few blast white coins.  But, as I have learned to identify "original skin" on a coin, I am trying to concentrate on those coins.

In my opinion - PCGS is the absolute toughest on rainbow toned coins.  I have seen more coins come back "questionable color" from PCGS than any other TPG.  

On 4/21/2022 at 5:23 PM, VKurtB said:

I also prefer white coins, or coins that are obviously NATURALLY toned due to a history that is understandable. Rainbow toning holds ZERO appeal for me. But I am the minority. 

I also agree. Not big on rainbows. Im a blast white and lightly natural toning. 

The toned coin market is insanely hot. If there is rainbow to any degree it’s 3x the coin value and up depending on color. I sold an $80 merc dime for $500 last week and it was far from rainbow. It had nice rim coloring. I wasn’t going to sell it and a guy offered me $500 for it when I said I was just putting it in my collection. I couldn’t refuse that and I would have never thought to price the coin at that. If the taste of the market decides to change and view toning more negatively a lot of collectors will be very upside down in a lot of the common date Morgans. 

Edited by Woods020

Generally speaking, isn't toning really just another name for tarnished? From what I've observed it seems many dealers want to sell less attractive coins  by extolling the dirt to be some form of unique attractiveness. I'm OK with people liking the colors if that suits there fancy, but as a collector of "shining" silver, not grayed or iridescent, I'm finding far fewer instances with full original mint luster being available, than I am those with some form of discoloration on them. Talking about US coins dated 1930 and earlier... I know lesser mintage numbers factor in as well, but still.... 

On 5/2/2022 at 9:09 PM, Lem E said:

I’ll bet it is a looker in hand. I like it. FS?

I just got it in the mail today, and can't put it down.  It is a 64(5FS) - I appreciate your attention to nickels. :bigsmile:

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

On 4/20/2022 at 9:33 PM, SirDubre said:

Why are toned silver coins so valued? Am I missing something? 

The same way crows and octopuses like shiny stuff.

On 5/2/2022 at 9:24 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I just got it in the mail today, and can't put it down.  It is a 64(5FS) - I appreciate your attention to nickels. :bigsmile:

That is a very nice looking MS 64.  Congrats the rainbow color looks nice on it.