• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

sorry forgot to post the nickels

33 posts in this topic

thanks Neophyte Numismatist....I am a bit confused about how people sell coins....I see coins for sale on places like EBay and Etsy etc and they are loose coins and do not seem to be graded in any way and sometimes they are being sold for very high prices....thanks for the excellent advice

I agree. Those are heavily circulated. You can buy one in mint shape already graded around $20 or so if you shop around. It would cost you close to $100 to get one graded shipping, insurance and all. Those are no where near good enough shape to justify grading. 

On 4/16/2022 at 9:24 PM, Bill Wynn said:

thanks for the advice Hoghead515

You are very welcome my friend. You can shop around on Ebay and find some great deals. Just watch what sellers you deal with. Some are way over priced. I always read their feedback also. Good luck and happy collecting. 

On 4/16/2022 at 8:22 PM, Bill Wynn said:

I see coins for sale on places like EBay and Etsy etc and they are loose coins and do not seem to be graded in any way and sometimes they are being sold for very high prices.

I would like to repeat what others have said, just for emphasis. Just because a seller lists a coin for a very high price does not mean that the coin is worth what they are asking. It also does not mean that they are actually selling any coins at that price. (hopefully not). Etsy is probably the worst place on the web to buy coins. For every legitimate seller, there are hundreds of scammers and thieves who are hoping to make a big score off some unknowing newcomer. My advice: stay away from Etsy and other similar places when looking for coins to buy, or when trying to determine the true value of your coins. Use patience, and do some diligent research before trying to buy or sell anything. The coins posted above would be fun pocket change finds, considering that they have been around for more than half a century, but honestly, they are only worth face value. 

And if I haven't already said so, "Welcome to the forum."

Just a thought to keep in mind, just because someone is asking high prices for a coin, doesn't mean it is selling for that price. Good idea to check by "sold/completed listings" to get an average value for the specific coin you are looking for. 

You beat me to the punchline JustBob! Lol

Edited by bsshog40

thank you all for the excellent advice....I have noticed a wild range of prices for the same coin on different occasions and I know there are conmen out there looking for heavy bucks for not so heavy coins...I am still in the process of researching how coins are valued and I really appreciate all your inputs and advice...thanks to all of you, Bill

The pictured coins are worth face value, that is all. If you see someone offering to sell them for more than 5-cents each, ask them what they will pay. You will likely not hear from them. They are either crooks or incredibly ignorant people looking for a sucker to cheat.

That is the blunt, factual response. ;)

On 4/17/2022 at 2:41 PM, Bill Wynn said:

thanks for all your replies....I thought 1965 & 1966 nickels were fairly rare

No sir.  They are very commonly found in change.  The toughest Jefferson nickels to find in change are the 30% silver "War Nickels" (1942-45).  Even nickels from 1938-41 will turn-up as you go through your change or rolls at the bank.  I save every nickel I find prior to 1959 (just for fun).  

As others have said, Jefferson nickels generally have to be in mint state to drive value.  Jeffersons are very fun to collect, because there are not really any "stopper" key dates, and there are many fun errors and varieties.  It's a big set, but it can be broken into several short sets to make it manageable.  Whether mint state or circulated, you can have lots of fun with this series... I just didn't want to build your hopes up about building wealth from circulated Jefferson nickels (it just isn't possible). 

There are a few folks on the boards who are complete experts in this series (I am not one of them).  Feel free to ask questions, post one coin per post... 

On 4/17/2022 at 1:41 PM, Bill Wynn said:

thanks for all your replies....I thought 1965 & 1966 nickels were fairly rare

Not even a little bit rare. 

On 4/17/2022 at 5:53 PM, Bill Wynn said:

thanks VKurtB....saw them shown on the internet as rare

Be VERRRRRY leery of the Internet generally. 

Another place to stay away from is YouTube videos. Some are ok but most spread the most redicilous information there ever was. Some people get on there and make very untrue videos that have people that dont know any better believing their crazy claims. Good luck. 

On 4/17/2022 at 8:27 PM, Bill Wynn said:

thanks Hoghead515....I have seen some wild claims on the internet and youtube also....I also see a lot of coins for sale or auction on EBay that seem way out of whack too....I am wary of those

It’s possible to ASK any price, and do they ever! 

On 4/17/2022 at 9:26 PM, Bill Wynn said:

yes they do...but what happens when an unwary buyer finds out his $1000 nickel is really only worth $4? Do they have legal recourse?

No, probably not, which is why the FIRST step is getting educated, BEFORE putting currency to use. 

On 4/17/2022 at 11:35 PM, VKurtB said:

No, probably not, which is why the FIRST step is getting educated, BEFORE putting currency to use. 

If you are new to collecting post your questions and we will try to help out. My opinion for what it is worth. I would not buy ungraded coins on line! Only in hand, at shows or in a coin shop and I would still be carful when doing that until you get to know your coins. The NGC and PCGS grading charts help a lot.  If you want try to buy a few graded coins that are ln holders like NGC or PCGS you can get some cheap Low MS coins then it will  give you something to go buy. Good luck on your collecting it can be a fun journey.  

On 4/17/2022 at 10:26 PM, Bill Wynn said:

yes they do...but what happens when an unwary buyer finds out his $1000 nickel is really only worth $4? Do they have legal recourse?

I agree with Kurt on that one. Its hard telling how many people get scammed everyday not knowing it. And they get away with it. Very sad and wish more could be done but we try to educate people on here to try to keep from being scammed. Thats why everyone is saying to educate yourself before making a purchace. Its the only defence we have aginst counterfeits, price gougers, and other problem coins for now.  Also gotta watch because counterfeits are being sold around every corner. Its aginst Ebays rules to post counterfeits but people still do. They cant keep up with what every seller puts on there. Usually if people spot them and report them they will take them down. A few of us on here report them when we spot them. They counterfeit about every type of coin but be wary of key dates and rare coins. Just from my experience, dont know from others, seems like I mostly see Morgan Dollars. Not saying they are the most counterfeited, they may be, but its mostly what I encounter. Those and draped bust dollars. But theres several others I dont usually look at and thats probably why. Im just focusing my interest in certain types of coins for now. I will probably encounter several other types when I start expanding into other areas. Also beware of people selling Doubled Die coins raw. Ive seen several selling strike doubling coins as true ddo coins for a hefty premium. If you get into buying errors then you better really study the differance in dd and md. Md is worthless doubling and we see it on here almost everyday. Not knowing no better its hard to tell the difference until you educate yourself well in that area. Good luck and hope this helps.

Edited by Hoghead515