• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Ebay a good site to base coin worth off of?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

On 3/30/2022 at 1:37 AM, Ethan Stallings said:

I have seen coins in the thousands on Ebay that does not seem right.

eBay is my first go-to site for current and fair market values.  Keep in mind, there are legitimate coins that do sell for thousands on eBay

Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 9.22.40 AM.png

Edited by tj96

On 3/30/2022 at 1:37 AM, Ethan Stallings said:

I have seen coins in the thousands on Ebay that does not seem right.

Heritage and Great Collections are better.  I would be wary of Ebay listings, even sold items, unless there was active bidding.

On 3/30/2022 at 9:59 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Heritage and Great Collections are better.  I would be wary of Ebay listings, even sold items, unless there was active bidding.

Totally agree that HA will give you much more competitive comps on coins.  eBay has a lot of volume, but for whatever reason the buyers do not seem as educated and tend to pay well above established averages.  That said, all the advice on eBay (looking at sold only, remove anomalies, etc) is spot on!

Short answer no, you will get much better data looking at recent auction sites like Heritage, Stacks, and Great Collections.   These are more "real" numbers without all the low grade junk and shilling.   However the auction sites do not seem to handle as much of the modern material, so for that ebay closed sales can be slightly better, all of these are infinitely better than using sites like etsy or fakebook for pricing.