• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Settle for ANACS ?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Hello fellow collectors, I know this is another Newbie question and I remember all the helpful advice about prices, grading fees, and patience LOL :) But I'm in a dilemma - I am 3 coins from a 30 coin commemorative set and I've search HA, GC, Ebay, Collector's Universe and the grading companies chat boards for quite a while, but can't find year, mint mark and grade needed. I've found 2 of the 3 but in ANACS slabs (all other coins are NGC/PCGS). Considering the market when I find coins - I'm tempted to settle for ANACS slabs - thoughts  ??? 

A call only you can make, if you want them for a registry set then you will have to crack and send to NGC (or attempt a cross at PCGS) so in that case you will have a lot of additional costs and time to invest.   If the set is just for your personal enjoyment and viewing and the ANACS coins are eye appealing coins to you then I see no reason you could not.

On 3/24/2022 at 6:37 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

It's all about the coin. (thumbsu Nothing wrong with an ANACS slabbed coin

Listen to the Fenntucky!!  the pioece of plastic means nothing if the coin inside is substandard!!  I have many coins in differnt slabs just becasue the coin inside was better than the one i saw in a PCGS or NGC slab.  ALWAYS collect the coin. who gives a about the reg sets if the coin in the slab is not desirable just becasue they put one of their arbitray grades on the plastic.

LOL Thanx for all of the input. Yes as a Newbie, I get caught up in the holder LOL ;  I realize the coin eye appeal is the key but I'm at mercy of the camera :)  I think I will be patient and watch. If my grading eye was better, I could eliminate the slab doing my work for me LOL Thanx again for advice and conversation. 

On 3/24/2022 at 8:38 PM, Six Mile Rick said:

:screwy:  Buy the coin ----- Not the plastic!!!

ANACS is a great place to send some things, like VAM silver dollars. But their reputation for consistent quality grading is below both NGC and those P—- guys. In addition, I think their slab was designed by Bud Tugly. 

If I were 3 coins away from completing a set of 30 and couldn't find them, I would take them in ANACS holders if they met the minimum grade I wanted and if they looked it. 

Then the debate would be whether to cross them over or to keep looking for them after that in the TPG holder you really want. You can then sell the ANACS. Ir really depends on hard they are to obtain and how bad you want them.