• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DDO 1990-D NICKEL. I wish I was joking

36 posts in this topic

Has anyone come across a 1990-D Nickel that has been designated by Variety Vista Catalog?I went there and only saw one for S mint. Because after spending nearly an hour photographing and looking at it through a Loop I know the lines and dimples the surrounding area make if it's a true DDO. A big factor is the hairbow doubling.

I'm looking to know how to price it. But for know I would to know if anyone has seen a 1990-D 5c DDO?

Transfered the pics from the Canon to the phone. So here they are! You can really see the doubling on the some of Jefferson Memorial. As you all know angles and lighting are important in seeing features that show specifications for a DDO/DDR.

20220308_075356.jpg

_MG_0060.JPG

20220308_074724.jpg

20220308_074808.jpg

Edited by Joseph Franklin

On 3/8/2022 at 7:57 AM, Joseph Franklin said:

Transfered the pics from the Canon to the phone. So here they are! You can really see the doubling on the some of Jefferson Memorial. As you all know angles and lighting are important in seeing features that show specifications for a DDO/DDR.

20220308_075356.jpg

_MG_0060.JPG

20220308_074724.jpg

20220308_074808.jpg

You say you have a ddo, but your pics focus on the reverse? Do you think the doubling is on the reverse or obverse?

Can you get well focused pics where the coin fills most of the screen? We need to see detail. Lay the coin down and get a straight on shot. Then crop to fill the screen.

Also it’s not good practice to hold the coin like that. Hold it by the rim only if possible.  

Edited by Woods020

Thanks Joe, Like everything Woods said if you are looking at the reverse it is called a DDR . Also if you can get a better shot with your phone I use a couple of books or something to lay the phone on to get a close shot. I did look up the 1990-D DDR and there is no reference ,not to say it is not a DDR but without better close ups it may be what we call ( DD ) Die Deterioration or ( MD ) Mechanical doubling, both of these happen in the minting of a coin and can fool the best of us without a good look. 

Edited by J P Mashoke

Yes agreed to all of the above, and yes both sides have doubling, so we're looking at both sides for examination. Whew....and yes, a macro lens is the best way to get in close, but that's not always the case.... I'll use my phone and get back. Thank you for your input and newness of eyes. After spending hours looking and this stuff daily. Yike....

The angled pictures are to show the doubling outline around the bust and the bow on the back of his head. You can see the original strike area. From my investigations thus far, within my own doubled die collection; this feature of a "double outline"  spills out across all denominations using our mint machines.

It's cool to hopefully share with y'all something unique and exciting to research and discuss. 

Thank you again everyone who has taken their time to participate, no one had too, but you did and that warms my heart. 

Obviously not. JKK, that's why I'm here to get more opinions because this one's got me scratching my head. The profile of the dome, and his face, and the typical spot on the bow is all there. But you said it best there are some inconsistencies. 

It's seeing the double profile with the naked eye that has me puzzled. Lol...because the top of his head grows like an alien when you change the perspective. Just isn't your typical strike. I wish you could see with a loupe what I see. That subtle little break on the devices to show more evidence of the 2nd strike. 

It's tough to see clearly, but I don't seeing any evidence of split serifs/notching, which are characteristics of hub doubling.  The dome doubling looks flat which is a characteristic of mechanical doubling. 

If you disagree with the opinions, you can always send it to a TPG or CONECA for authentication.

On 3/8/2022 at 2:42 PM, Joseph Franklin said:

It's seeing the double profile with the naked eye that has me puzzled. Lol...because the top of his head grows like an alien when you change the perspective. Just isn't your typical strike. I wish you could see with a loupe what I see. That subtle little break on the devices to show more evidence of the 2nd strike. 

I agree with all of the very knowledgeable members who have chimed in. The only addition is you now refer to a second strike. You are aware that a coin with multiple strikes is a different animal than a doubled die right? One happens on the coin and the other on the die. 

Sorry to say Joe I do not see doubling other than maybe on the last shot some MD by the ponytail on the obverse. The coin is quite beat up also so it will cast strange reflections of light. Even if it was a major DD it would have to be a extra special quality coin to be worth anything. But it is always a welcome site to see new members asking questions and this place has many qualified people to help you out. So keep looking and you never know what you may find. Like I said I roll hunt all the time and see many coins that a lot of times are not what they seam to be. 

Lovely answers and profound amount of knowledge given by everyone! The coin hunting will continue. What I appreciate is the stricter I have become in labeling my own collection. This Nickel is one that won't be going into my DDO/DDR collection.  Oldhoopster's comment, thank you for the specific information. 

Blessings and peace to all for your kindnesses and patience. Thank you for willing to reach, cause I'm listening with ears wide open and mouth shut. 

Sidebar comment...I sent off my 1968-D DDR quarter to get graded by PCGS and for them to check the Obverse for doubling as well. I did my research before I asked them to check for the Obverse doubling.

On 3/9/2022 at 11:49 AM, Joseph Franklin said:

Sidebar comment...I sent off my 1968-D DDR quarter to get graded by PCGS and for them to check the Obverse for doubling as well. I did my research before I asked them to check for the Obverse doubling.

How did that submission turn out?

Lol 🤣 you mean this one? Oooo.... It's gonna be...what, 50 BUSINESS DAYS! But I get it. So much change, cost going up on everything! Ugh! And I have a '76 Bicentennial DDR getting Certified. I only submitted what I thought was the most cost productive means. If It comes back a grade or 2 on any of those coins I'll be above board. My favorite out of the bunch....that '66 SMS DCAM. I couldn't quite except what I had for a few days. Plus with the Reverse-side being absolutely unremarkable and untoned...I had to pull the trigger. This one little SMS set that I had never examined up until a month ago. Wow. I've had the set for 25+ years! I love it. Oh dude! And....the SMS Cameo Penny I submitted was a DDR. I asked them in the notes area to pay special attention to the reverse side for a Doubled Die. Crazy. It would be interesting to see the type of labeling they put on it. 

Screenshot_20220309-185218_My Account.jpg

Edited by Joseph Franklin
Typos. Didn't make sense

On 3/9/2022 at 7:47 PM, Joseph Franklin said:

Lol 🤣 you mean this one? Oooo.... It's gonna be...what, 50 BUSINESS DAYS! But I get it. So much change, cost going up on everything! Ugh! And I have a '76 Bicentennial DDR getting Certified. I only submitted what I thought was the most cost productive means. If It comes back a grade or 2 on any of those coins I'll be above board. My favorite out of the bunch....that '66 SMS DCAM. I couldn't quite except what I had for a few days. Plus with the Reverse-side being absolutely unremarkable and untoned...I had to pull the trigger. This one little SMS set that I had never examined up until a month ago. Wow. I've had the set for 25+ years! I love it. Oh dude! And....the SMS Cameo Penny I submitted was a DDR. I asked them in the notes area to pay special attention to the reverse side for a Doubled Die. Crazy. It would be interesting to see the type of labeling they put on it. 

Screenshot_20220309-185218_My Account.jpg

Do you have pics of the 66 SMS DCAM? I’d love to see it. Actually I would love to see all of this amazing SMS set. It’s going to be an interesting experience. I’m guessing this is your first submission to get graded? 

Edited by Woods020

On 3/9/2022 at 6:47 PM, Joseph Franklin said:

Good luck on the submission please update once you have the grades, curious why you sent these to PCGS rather than NGC.

Good luck with your submissions Joe. Most SMS coins do not grade to high. I have quite a few 76er's and if you have a 1976 DDR I can't wait to see that one, that may cover the cost of submission.  

On 3/10/2022 at 7:24 AM, J P Mashoke said:

Good luck with your submissions Joe. Most SMS coins do not grade to high. I have quite a few 76er's and if you have a 1976 DDR I can't wait to see that one, that may cover the cost of submission.  

Definitely agree on that it will cover the cost! So hey here's some of the pictures that I took of the SMS Nickel before sending it off.

I took tons of pictures of the coins and are posted on my Shopify website. Ian and Eve Antiques. That's all I'll say because I'm not here to promote or sell anything, but that's where the best pictures are of each coin.

On 3/9/2022 at 10:01 PM, Coinbuf said:

Good luck on the submission please update once you have the grades, curious why you sent these to PCGS rather than NGC.

20220301_200120.jpg

20220301_200539.jpg

20220224_055155.jpg

On 3/9/2022 at 10:01 PM, Coinbuf said:

Didn't answer your question....Er, umm....sheer stupidity. No bull. But now that I'm in the system and seeing how the pieces move around and who has more authority in grading say so. Stuff like that.

Like, right now I'm stuck on 2 coins and how to proceed. I have 2 MS68+ 1993-D, 1997-D DDO's. Do I send them to a pre-atrributionist first to get labeled DDO/DDR, because both of them are, or do you include your own dictations and research on the coin and supply that info with your submission? And after 20 years of grandma giving me pennies that 90% are Doubled Died.....It makes your brains hurt a lot!!!! So much research. But how did she know way back when what would explode? Incredible. I would love more than anything than to sell my coin set and build a community orphanage built on the gospel. That's my dream brother!

On 3/10/2022 at 11:54 AM, Just Bob said:

Even though you didn't say this was a "guess the grade," I'm going to toss my opinion out there. I think the nickel will come back as a 66, maybe a 67, no cameo.

Right on. Not all the pictures highlight that. But appreciate your opinion.

20220224_041150.jpg

20220224_053623.jpg

20220224_041051.jpg