• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1996 American Silver Eagle toning on Edge
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Just purchased a tube of 1996 American Silver Eagles. Of the 20 bullion coins one (1) is toned/tarnished along the entire edge.  No other coins were effected. The outlier was located in the middle of the tube, obviously the tube had been opened at some point and the coins randomly replaced in tube. To what extent does  this alter value?  Is cleaning an option, perhaps dipping in xylene? 32376D8C-8B33-4373-AD24-F8094AF24D96.thumb.jpeg.5bb14bb6d0c2b738561b3b564e34865f.jpeg

D9D0A315-1831-446F-A7C9-22C8AA57035D.jpeg

On 3/3/2022 at 7:45 PM, bsshog40 said:

If I'm not mistaken, the 96' bullion eagle have a little more value over most the other years. Mintage maybe? 

96 was the lowest mintage of all the bullion eagles.

On 3/3/2022 at 8:57 PM, Lem E said:

96 was the lowest mintage of all the bullion eagles.

Yes, that’s my concern the 1996 ASE is the key date. It’s not just bullion as the retail cost is approximately silver spot price plus $52 premium. The toning bothers me. 

On 3/3/2022 at 8:27 PM, Walter Holmes said:

Yes, that’s my concern the 1996 ASE is the key date. It’s not just bullion as the retail cost is approximately silver spot price plus $52 premium. The toning bothers me. 

Milk spots are also a major issue with the 96s. 

On 3/3/2022 at 12:16 PM, Walter Holmes said:

Just purchased a tube of 1996 American Silver Eagles. Of the 20 bullion coins one (1) is toned/tarnished along the entire edge.  No other coins were effected. The outlier was located in the middle of the tube, obviously the tube had been opened at some point and the coins randomly replaced in tube. To what extent does  this alter value?  Is cleaning an option, perhaps dipping in xylene? 

Xylene and acetone are organic solvents.  They will have no effect on toning.

Edited by Oldhoopster