• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found quarter

17 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forums, you have a coin with a counter stamp on the obverse side.  I have no clue who stamped the coin or why it was done, this has been done for lots of reasons throughout the years.  There are a very few collectors that like to collect oddities like this, however it has a very small value, perhaps worth $1-$2 to the right person.

On 2/14/2022 at 10:43 AM, JT2 said:

what a man can do with a good punch set and a hammer :)   I think those NRA ones were done by Hog........  :) 

Id sure like to find a couple. Ive not seen any yet. Id like to have a couple for my collection. I save stamped coins when I come across them even though they are just damage. Some are pretty cool. Espically the masonic and NRA. 

That just means someone put it on a counter and stamped it.....or maybe that glued a postage stamp to it.... (PS: People have rights  - and responsibilities - not guns. People have to exercise their rights responsibly; guns just sit around waiting for the next irresponsible person.)

:)

On 2/14/2022 at 11:20 PM, Just Bob said:

Additionally, in America, they are much more likely to be handled by a responsible person than an irresponsible one,

In 1956, when I was just a child, my dad sent me to the local NRA Safe Hunter Couse.  It taught how to properly and safely handle a firearm at home or in the woods.  All of the male kids my age went to it because you couldn't get a Hunting License without it.  It lasted two days and we really came out knowing how to safely handle firearms.  They don't offer that course anymore which is a shame.  However, I passed that knowledge on to my boys.

On 2/15/2022 at 8:02 AM, Alex in PA. said:

They don't offer that course anymore which is a shame.  However, I passed that knowledge on to my boys.

This is not really a good place for non-coin discussions. I'll contribute only the following bits and be done with it.

Most coin collectors treat their coins responsibly and understand they are temporary stewards. So it is with most other things. As the potential for harm to ourselves and others increases with the kinds of things we own, so do our individual and social responsibilities in the use and preservation of those things. To hold something in your hands that can instantly kill almost any living thing, is a very high responsibility - one which we daily trivialize in reduction of deaths by firearm, to lists of numbers. Driving a car is similar although not so portable or convenient, and we all have seen the "crazys" on our highways; these people exist with every other kind of object we own.

RE: Alex's comment. I took a similar course plus we had a rifle club and target range in my high school in Maryland. My Dad was also adamant about safety and appropriate use of a firearm. They were also very concerned about indiscriminate proliferation of hand guns and other weapons intended only to kill other people. In America, there are so many hand guns and "assault" weapons - good for nothing but killing people - that the irresponsible, unstable, criminal and seditious can easily intimidate and harm others. In that respect, America has among the world's worst record for weapons safety in the world. For a snapshot, look back at the musical "West Side Story" from the mid-1950s -- gang weapons were knives, short swords, chains, all hand-to-hand combat. That one gang member showed up with a "zip gun" was a shock to all, and also indicative of the overall view that there was no place for a hand gun (or 1920s mob automatic weapons) except by legitimate police....where their holding could be tightly controlled.

That NRA in it's greed and spinelessness fails to offer "Safe Hunter Courses," and that such formal and cooperative training is no longer required to get a Hunting License, is an indicator of the failure of once-responsible organizations to face the overall harm of their actions. There is no historical or modern record of more non-hunting types of weapons making society safer -- our own American society included. Deaths, intentional and accidental, by handguns or assault-type weapons have risen almost every year since the 1950s --- despite great medical advances that save many who would have died. Hunting accidents remain low: good hunters seem to understand and respect the power they hold in their hands -- they act deliberately with great discrimination -- and nearly all follow-up with proper field-dressing of their targets and use of the meat. Bad hunters usually get bored and look for something more to their attention level -- such as shooting glass bottles.

No one can reasonably argue that "guns kill" by themselves - they are inanimate objects. However, the promiscuous access to non-hunting types of guns by anyone, for almost any reason, in almost any place, gives some individuals and deviant groups of social failures the ability to harm others at long range. They want to hide their cowardice behind a thoughtless machine and thus endanger everyone.

Every right come with associated responsibilities. Free speech is not the license to yell "Fire!" in a theater; freedom of your person is not the license to barrel through a red stop light or over a kid crossing the street; a right to keep and bear arms is not license to kill with those arms.

Likewise, every right is exercised by the individual, and ONLY at the individual's choice. No one can be required by any government or other person to exercise their rights of free speech or assembly; no one can be required to own or use a gun; no one can be required to be a parent or not be a parent; or to incriminate themselves.

The ultimate shame is that responsible people - people with otherwise sound judgement - enable and facilitate the irresponsible, criminal, and mentally unstable, thereby costing lives that might otherwise have been spared and possibly contributed to future society.

Edited by RWB

On 2/15/2022 at 12:54 PM, RWB said:

This is not really a good place for non-coin discussions.

Agreed.  You are correct and have my apologies.  Won't happen again.

Edited by Alex in PA.

On 2/15/2022 at 10:54 PM, Just Bob said:

Interesting comment from a man who frequently sneaks in politically motivated comments, and very often makes non-coin related comments, but that is a discussion for another day.

And I will contribute my comments, as well.

Handguns are used for hunting, competition shooting, personal protection against dangerous animals, and recreational shooting. To say that they are good only for killing people is untrue and shows definite bias.

Mentioning "assault" weapons shows the same bias. Surprising, since you said you took a gun safety course. (You didn't actually say that you were in the rifle club or participated in target shooting.) Aside from having a higher capacity magazine, the only differences in what the media and others call "assault rifles" and   regular rifles used for hunting are purely cosmetic, or to make the weapon easier to handle or control. They are no more powerful or deadly than a target rifle or "hunting" rifle of the same caliber.

It seems very odd that you would cite a fictional musical as evidence, and even more odd that you would claim that "the overall view was that there was no place for a hand gun" (sic). That view may have been true for this work of fiction, but it definitely was not the view of the majority of the country in the 1950s.

I am neither a member nor a supporter of the NRA, but this statement is also false. The NRA does, in fact, offer a hunter safety course. They also offer other courses; among them are firearms training courses and safety courses for children. 

This is an intentionally misleading statement. The NRA does not issue hunting licenses. The states issue licenses. You are intelligent enough to know this, so I assume you are implying it to prove your point.

I could continue, but I will probably be reported to the moderators for what I have already written, and I don't really wish to be banned,

The bottom line: The Second Amendment was not written to protect my right to hunt, or even my right to protect myself. It was written to protect against an overbearing government that would try to take away my freedom.

Thank you. Said better than I ever could. 

I used to shoot a little competitively (not a contender with the real pros) and my 600 yard gun is built off an AR platform. It’s heavy as heck for an “assault rifle” but it was built by JP Precision who also makes military sniper rifles of the same caliber. If I was going to kill someone that would be one of the last guns I would pick up unless they were 600 yards and not in a hurry for me to prop it up. And to be completely clear I did not intend that to in any way imply I am shooting anyone. Just making a point. 

Edited by Woods020

About the hunting licenses. Our state requires you to take a safety course before you can buy them. If you pass the training they will issue a card and you have to provide the card before they will sell you a license. Also if the game warden checks you you must also show your card to him or you will get a hefty fine. Its a state law. Nothing to do with the NRA. It is heavily enforced. Trust me. I got checked by the warden this past deer season and the first thing he asked for was my license and safety card. Im one who can tell you with 100% certainty that you do have to have a safety course to get a hunting license. At least in Ky. I dont want to say for sure about other states. Ive not fact checked them, which I like to do on sensitive subjects such as this one. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 2/15/2022 at 11:54 PM, Just Bob said:

The NRA does, in fact, offer a hunter safety course.

Thanks.  This I did not know.  It isn't, nor has been for decades, offered here in Clinton County, Pennsylvania.  I am a Life Member of that organization and have been for 30 years.  I am sorry for the wrongs, the bad publicity and the bad name it has gotten by the politicos.  Nothing I can do about it and I do get a nice magazine in the mail.  Over the years I have got SOME good things from it.