• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guess the grade
2 2

28 posts in this topic

Man....it's been a while with me and grading Washingtons!!!  But let's see here....my first instinct is MS63.  I'll go with it and likely be wrong, but MS63.

I always think the hair shows signs of circulation and that they are worse than they are. These are tough. So I go higher than I think with my MS 65. I am always wrong on the lower end it seems if I go with my gut. 

Hmmm toughie, what appears to be a touch of friction on the upper cheekbone and hairline may just be slightly darker toning.   But I'll go with my gut and say MS65. 

For reasons only a psychiatrist would understand, I take all GTG posts as a personal challenge. Fortunately, for me, my standing on the Board is so low, I have nothing to lose. First things first: who posted this?  (🐓 : Why, the OP, of course!)  Very funny. Secondly, check to see who weighed in on this. And finally, render an opinion... Problem is, this is a trick question. The viewer is being asked to ignore the wear on the hair behind the ear, the suggestion of wear on the 🎀 and, on the reverse, what appears to be wear on the feathers 🪶 more evident on those closest to the rim.  Accordingly, I cannot in good conscience assign a grade within the Mint State range. (🐓 : Why is it so difficult for you to say AU, then?)  Well, for the same reason no medical doctor has ever determined a woman to be AP, i.e., Almost Pregnant. To the OP:  Having delivered my statement, I am now prepared to receive your judgment. Your humble, obedient servant, etc.

Edit:  FWIW, I think it very telling that of the roughly dozen opinions rendered, NO member has elected to endorse another member's opinion.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Therein lies the rub...

On 1/9/2022 at 6:55 PM, MarkFeld said:

I’ll go with MS64.

Thank you, Mark!  You're making old Quintus look mighty good right about now.  👍 

It’s so funny you posted one previously that looked identical to me. I went AU and it was MS 65. So I flipped my guess and darned if it wasn’t the opposite. The hair on every Washington Type 1 looks circulated to me, and most seem to be MS. I don’t see a job grading Washington’s in my future 😂

Edited by Woods020

On 1/10/2022 at 5:25 PM, Woods020 said:

It’s so funny you posted one previously that looked identical to me. I went AU and it was MS 65. So I flipped my guess and darned if it wasn’t the opposite. The hair on every Washington Type 1 looks circulated to me, and most seem to be MS. I don’t see a job grading Washington’s in my future 😂

Same here ol buddy. Im not worth MAC sticker 4 step nickel at it. 

On 1/10/2022 at 4:34 PM, Hoghead515 said:

My friend @zadokwas the first to nail it. It was graded AU55 by our host. Although the reverse is beautiful old Georges cheek has been rubbed raw. Also wear on the hair area. I figured this would be a great coin to have a guess at. All fun guesses and thank you everyone for participating. I got that coin for nearly nothing a while back. Around $7 I think. I know it was less than $10 and I bought another nicer one at the time and done combined shipping so I wasnt hurt any. It has a very low value to it according to NGC priceguide.  Whoever had it slabbed probably went in the hole big time. Unless it was sent in a bulk submission or something like that. Not sure how that works. Most Ive ever sent in was 2 coins at one time.  Its more of an album coin. Got an album from 1932 to 1998. Been thinking bout cracking it out to put in the album. I may not either. May just leave it in the slab. 

I knew I'd screw it up!! I'm way out of practice grading Washingtons lol  Great GTG though, my friend!

Legitimate inquiry... I don't know the formal numismatic term used to describe it, but there appears to be a suggestion of asbestosis on the obverse:  a light 🤔 white dusting of "snow" bracketing the silhouette and legends, IGWT, LIBERTY, and a comet transiting thru the date, SW to NE, none of which is evident on the reverse. Great coin, 👍 Hog!  Carry on, 🚹 gentlemen.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Additional gratuitous commentary.

On 1/10/2022 at 9:57 PM, Coinbuf said:

Should have gone with my head not my gut.  :roflmao:

It's okay.  It is not easy passing judgment on another member's coin. Kudos to Hog for being an honorable, gracious and thoughtfully accommodating gentleman!  (thumbsu

On 1/10/2022 at 10:22 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

It's okay.  It is not easy passing judgment on another member's coin. Kudos to Hog for being an honorable, gracious and thoughtfully accommodating gentleman!  (thumbsu

Im the type of person im not gonna get offend if you judge my coin harshly. I like to hear honest opinions. Theres not much that bothers me at all. Judge however you want my friend. I dont get my feelings hurt very easily at all.