• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GOLD in the pocket change!!!!
1 1

46 posts in this topic

On 11/30/2021 at 6:25 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Negative.  She did not take it and would not allow me to take it.  (Her father (deceased) was a pastor and she is religious.  (She prays to God before we leave the house, has virtually memorized the Bible which she studies daily and prays again at nite, in excess of 10 minutes -- all in her native language, French.) The station clerks in subway stations refuse to accept lost items and will direct you to the only Lost & Found in the system located underground at 34th Street and 8th Avenue, which uses the same antiquated system which facilitated the theft of the French Connection drugs worth $73 M from the police property clerk's office in 1972. Sadly, her mother "left" i.e., passed away yesterday morning.

Very sorry to hear that my friend. Tell your wife I send my condolences. Tell her I send prayers for you all also as you all go through this hard time. Its rough losing a parent. My mother is still living but I lost my dad almost 2 years ago and Im still grieving.  Your wife reminds me of myself. If its not mine then I dont want it. Ive been in those situations before finding wallets full of money and other things and not touch a dime of it. In instance of the wallet I tracked down the very grateful owner who couldnt believe he got it back with the money still in there. I wouldnt even take the reward he tried to give me. I just see it as my duty as a God fearing man to do the right thing. 

On 12/1/2021 at 4:34 AM, Conder101 said:

But at many places the cashier is under orders to make regular deposits into a safe they can't open to keep the amount of cash in the drawer at a low level. (To limit losses in case of robbery.) so even later in the day they often can't accept a $100 without wiping out a good deal of their cash.  SO they still don't accept them.

No, which is why a cashier might pass them along as quickly as possible to get them OUT of their till (thinking they are foreign coins)  But the odds of getting a gold coin in the till is astronomical.  Getting TWO gold coins at the same time???

Here around the house they will take larger bills later in the day. We live out in a sparsly populated area where everyone knows everyone. I got some good friends who work at the small stores around here. They will take them if they made enough to still have change. The only time they deposit the money in the safe at these 2 particular stores is at shift change.  My wife worked at the one store for a while before she became a nurse. I know another store here close where the owner stays there all day long. She has access to the safe. She will take large bills anytime of the day. Ive broke 100s there early in the morning and just bought a sausage bisquit and pack of smokes. But she has access to the safe. I know her really well. She only keeps a certain amount in the register just like you said in case of robbery. Ive seen her open the safe in front of me before. She keeps good size stacks of small bills in it. More than i probably would. But robberies around here are almost unheard of. One store got robbed in the next town over bout 20 years ago was the last one. 

On 12/1/2021 at 4:51 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Here around the house they will take larger bills later in the day. We live out in a sparsly populated area where everyone knows everyone. I got some good friends who work at the small stores around here. They will take them if they made enough to still have change. The only time they deposit the money in the safe at these 2 particular stores is at shift change.  My wife worked at the one store for a while before she became a nurse. I know another store here close where the owner stays there all day long. She has access to the safe. She will take large bills anytime of the day. Ive broke 100s there early in the morning and just bought a sausage bisquit and pack of smokes. But she has access to the safe. I know her really well. She only keeps a certain amount in the register just like you said in case of robbery. Ive seen her open the safe in front of me before. She keeps good size stacks of small bills in it. More than i probably would. But robberies around here are almost unheard of. One store got robbed in the next town over bout 20 years ago was the last one. 

Hoghead515 makes an excellent observation with implications well beyond small towns. FBI and state crime statistics consistently rate small towns “safer” than larger communities. This also applies to various ethnic communities within large cities, such a “Little Italy” or “China Town.”

The reasons are societal. Small town residents are not more honest or less violent in themselves; they are within a community where recognition is routine and performance of non-standard social behavior is easily identified. That is, a small community enacts a restraining force on the population.

As population grows, this social restraint diminishes: anonymity supports animosity; there is only individual restraint to control actions. We’ve seen the growth of this divisive and destructive behavior with the internet and especially “social media” outlets. The perpetrators begin no differently than the small town residents, but without social restraint and “generally accepted community standards” they self-approve their words and actions. (Chemically, self-approval increases the level of endorphins making individuals feel good and thus validating their actions. This is similar to the action of opiates, and some consider it equally addicting.)

Edited by RWB

On 12/1/2021 at 10:13 AM, RWB said:

a small community enacts a restraining force on the population.

PS: It can also do the opposite by validating and encouraging destructive behavior. This is often thought of as "extremist" but can become "normal" within small groups - even of well-meaning individuals.

On 11/29/2021 at 10:01 AM, Oldhoopster said:

Which normal coins in the change were these substituted?

The OP cannot answer this question (and neither I, you, or anyone else can) because if he knew he'd know which of the two establishments he had patronized had given them to him.

Which normal coins in the change were these substituted?

You would have to base it on size  They are quarter eagles so 18 mm in diameter.  So they would have had to have been substituted for either cents 19 mm, or dimes 17.9 mm.  Too small to have passed for nickels (21 mm) or any larger denomination.

On 12/3/2021 at 11:37 PM, Conder101 said:

You would have to base it on size  They are quarter eagles so 18 mm in diameter.  So they would have had to have been substituted for either cents 19 mm, or dimes 17.9 mm.  Too small to have passed for nickels (21 mm) or any larger denomination.

I was hoping the OP would respond in order to provide a little credibility to the story.  Even though the the story sounds fabricated,  I didn't want to call them out immediately. Sometimes strange things do happen.

However, since there has been no follow up, I feel that the original post is a fake.

On 11/30/2021 at 4:35 AM, Morpheus1967 said:

Zero chance this happened.  

Actually, as reported on a news wire years ago, six consecutive spins of a roulette table produced the same numbered ball, so this is possible however unlikely.  The only mystery here is why the OP has chosen to remain mute. Despite @RWB's helpful contribution in providing a contrasting coin for comparison, no comment issues.

Before zadok dismisses the controversy as a Moot Point, I'd like to try a different, decidedly impertinent approach sure to elicit a response:

To the OP:  WHY DID YOU THINK CLEANING THE COINS WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA?

On 12/3/2021 at 10:37 PM, Conder101 said:

Most likely cents I would think if this were real. The gold color might night seem as funky among shiny pennies and not white dimes. But I still don't buy it.

On 12/4/2021 at 3:27 PM, numisport said:

No I dont buy this either. Kind of like the metal detectorists not too long ago that found handfuls of Seated and Bust coins. Do ya think ?

No, afraid not.  The OP, like Ratzie, et al., is fixated on errors.  The only errors they seem to come up with is a plausible story line to go with their various relics.  This wouldn't have gotten by Stevie Wonder and it wouldn't have gotten by me -- and I have cataracts. (Incidentally, 🐓 are commonly described in specs as 21mm but they are factually a tenth or two-tenths wider in diameter, but their rich golden color would be a dead giveaway.)

The OP’s story, and his subsequent behavior, both fail the “smell test”. They instead smell like male bovine feces. 

The OP has been a member here since 2019. Does anyone stand so gullible to believe he would not recognize one of the most unique of U.S. coins, the Indian with sunken (technically NOT incuse) devices? Nope, no chance the story is true.

Also, his continued use of Automatic White Balance in photographing non-white coins reveals he does not “learn well”.

Edited by VKurtB