• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GOLD in the pocket change!!!!
1 1

46 posts in this topic

On 11/29/2021 at 4:31 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Are they genuine? If so that would be some awsome change to get back. If it were me though I would try to find the original owner and return them. It would eat at my concience.  Someone made a major mistake if they are real. 

Me too, Hog.  This was not a simple mistake, something that you really couldn't trace or something that may have been in circulation through non-nefarious means, like a rare Lincoln Cent or a rare old small sized currency note..  Something's up here and I don't know if we're getting the full, true story.  This whole situation smells bad enough to attract my alpha-scavenger friend here:

Waikīkī Aquarium » Tiger Shark

@Revenant 

With at least one notable exception which my wife and I experienced personally, whether in New York'(s) Chinatown or elsewhere:  no Asian merchant will accept a $100. bill (making no attempt to establish its legitimacy, any half-dollar, dollar coin, Sacagawea or Ike) or any old rarely seencoin due to unfamiliarity.  There answer is a stock, well-reheardsed response: (usually spat out contemptuously in a firm staccato manner;  "uh-don'-nee-dit"!!!

Don't believe it?  As Morgan Freeman (The Shawshank Redemption) challenged all comers: "Alright, whose going to prove me wrong"?  🐓 

On 11/29/2021 at 9:27 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

no Asian merchant will accept a $100

Yeah... but the vast majority of merchants of all types won't take 100s or 50s because they don't want to make change for them and the 100 is heavily counterfeited relative to things like the 5, 10 and 20, to the point point that 5s are bleached for the paper to make more convincing fake 100s.

Very SAD state of affairs.  And it is my understanding, the intricate bills of long ago were shunned because it was very difficult for the average citizen to become familiar with all its features.  All I know about the Educational Series is they featured allegorical features but if you were to ask me to describe them with specificity, I could not.

On 11/29/2021 at 11:00 PM, Revenant said:

Yeah... but the vast majority of merchants of all types won't take 100s or 50s because they don't want to make change for them and the 100 is heavily counterfeited relative to things like the 5, 10 and 20, to the point point that 5s are bleached for the paper to make more convincing fake 100s.

Out in my neck of the woods, the only places I know that will accept $100s are most grocery stores, Walmarts, Lowes, the coin shop I used to work at and some f the antique stores and malls around, but only if your purchase is above a certain amount with the antique stores and malls.  The only places I've seen that refuse $50s, though, are gas stations.  Other than that, $50s don't seem to be an issue but $100s....they are.

On 11/29/2021 at 10:17 PM, Mohawk said:

but only if your purchase is above a certain amount

Yeah, because it comes back to not wanting to make change for it. The 50 may have changed over time. I remember the signs when I was younger at many places like fast food places that would say "No bills larger than $20 accepted." But I can't remember seeing that recently.

On 11/29/2021 at 11:23 PM, Revenant said:

Yeah, because it comes back to not wanting to make change for it. The 50 may have changed over time. I remember the signs when I was younger at many places like fast food places that would say "No bills larger than $20 accepted." But I can't remember seeing that recently.

Exactly.  I'd imagine in one of those places (or any place, really), a $100 bill has the potential to wipe the change right out of a register in many instances.  I remember those $20 signs myself.  I used to see them around quite a bit, but they've gone away to be replaced by signs that say No $100 bills accepted in places out my way.  I think $100s aren't very popular out here.  Some places will tolerate them, but not that many.  In many ways, the $100 isn't a very useful bill, in all honesty.

On 11/29/2021 at 10:01 PM, Revenant said:

Years ago a guy at a gas station in front of me paid for 2 beers with 28 silver dimes, 22 were merc dimes. The guy left the money and walked off before the cashier noticed but she did notice and freaked out a bit. I don't believe this for a second. People have gotten the cops called on them for trying to spend $2 bills. Any cashier who knew enough to not reject these would have pocketed them themselves.

Yep.  Hand a $2 bill to many cashiers and watch what happens....they'll either get excited or they'll look at you like you're passing a counterfeit. In my cash handling days, I'd just take it like any other bill but......if it had a red seal, I made sure I bought it out!

Edited by Mohawk

Here where I live alot of these little country gas stations and restraunts will accept larger bills only if they have enough change to do so. That said it wipes their change out. Usually later in the day they can accept them. Usually mornings the owners or managers only give them a small amount to start out with and it all 1s, 5s, and 20s.  Everyone knows everyone around here and i got alot of friends that work the cash registers at different places. They explained this to me before. 

I have to say that the story sounds a little far fetched. I've seen silver pass thru cashier hands without knowing the difference, but don't think classic gold is going to slip thru a customers hands at checkout. I mean who carries around gold pieces in there pockets? 

On 11/30/2021 at 8:10 AM, bsshog40 said:

I mean who carries around gold pieces in there pockets? 

I am sure we have all heard stories that every year, nation-wide, some bell-ringer for the Salvation Army, unbeknownst  to him, snagged a gold piece which HQ would eventually auction off. Kind of like the mysterious admirer of Edgar Allan Poe's works who annually for 14 years dropped off a rose at his graveside. Or cabbies who found $14,000 in an envelope left in a cab, or a rare Stradivarius, etc. 

I use my judgment. And in this case, all is not lost.  You turn it into the police, GET A RECEIPT, and if no one comes forth to claim it based on date, denomination, and one of two places it was found, in a year's time or so, it's yours to claim.

Begging @Oldhoopster''s indulgence... one day on a NYC subway, I turned to speak to my wife and noticed the gentleman who had been seated next to her had apparently gotten off the train, leaving only two or three others scattered about the carriage.  I also noticed he left a wad of cash and asked her to get it. She refused.  I gently reached over her to get it and she grabbed my arm.  I reasoned if we don't take it, someone else will... to no avail. When I asked her why -- @Hoghead515's gonna love this! -- she simply said, "Because it's not yours." And that, was that. I firmly believe no effort should be spared to reunite an owner with his possession.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
To complete the narrative.

On 11/30/2021 at 1:06 PM, ronnie stein said:

I love cash, you all know it. I have 14 one hundred dollar bills in my wallet as we speak. What a coincidence, that just less than two hours ago, I paid for my purchase of $5.52 at a convenience store with a two dollar bill, seven Kennedy halves and 2 cents. The clerk was a very nice person, always is. I reached into my left pocket, got out an Ike, and told her, "You never get tipped much, this is for you, keep on smiling, and have a good day!" The feeling it gave her, and me, worth it. You can believe what I just said or not, I don't care. I've always done that and I always will. 

I believe you, Ronnie, and what a nice thing to do!!! As you guys know, I sell coins on eBay and there is this one clerk at my local Post Office who has helped me with a ton of weird questions over the years I've lived where I do now, things like "What's the most secure way to ship this to Russia?" "How should I ship this to Israel?".....things like that.  I've had buyers from all over the world.  I found out that she likes $2 bills when I used one randomly to buy a book of stamps once, so when I do have to go to the Post Office and actually spend money there, I try to have some $2's in case she's there.  I've even paid with a couple of red seal $2's at her counter.....those REALLY made her day!  It's always nice to spread a little joy, thoughtfulness and kindness whenever we can in this world.  

On 11/29/2021 at 12:35 AM, RReynolds said:

Hello all!!! I found some gold in the change I received back today from a Gas station or the super market. I know!! this is crazy never would think I would get not one but two Awesome finds!!! WOW

1861 gold coin.jpg

1861 gold coin back.jpg

1913 gold coin.jpg

1913 gold coin back.jpg

Thinking that I went back to the gas station and to the dollar general and no one has come in and asked about any coins. I was thinking it might be a part of the US Mint coin hut. I had 9 pennies, 2 dimes , 3 nickels and a 1 quarter. Hell I did not even notice the coins until I got home. Must the pennies were 2021 and new. they had to be among the pennies. Man just don't know! 

Are they genuine? If so that would be some awsome change to get back. If it were me though I would try to find the original owner and return them. It would eat at my concience.  Someone made a major mistake if they are real. 

On 11/30/2021 at 7:57 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

I am sure we have all heard stories that every year, nation-wide, some bell-ringer for the Salvation Army, unbeknownst  to him, snagged a gold piece which HQ would eventually auction off. Kind of like the mysterious admirer of Edgar Allan Poe's works who annually for 14 years dropped off a rose at his graveside. Or cabbies who found $14,000 in an envelope left in a cab, or a rare Stradivarius, etc. 

I use my judgment. And in this case, all is not lost.  You turn it into the police, GET A RECEIPT, and if no one comes forth to claim it based on date, denomination, and one of two places it was found, in a year's time or so, it's yours to claim.

Begging @Oldhoopster''s indulgence... one day on a NYC subway, I turned to speak to my wife and noticed the gentleman who had been seated next to her had apparently gotten off the train, leaving only two or three others scattered about the carriage.  I also noticed he left a wad of cash and asked her to get it. She refused.  I gently reached over her to get it and she grabbed my arm.  I reasoned if we don't take it, someone else will... to no avail. When I asked her why -- @Hoghead515's gonna love this! -- she simply said, "Because it's not yours." And that, was that. I firmly believe no effort should be spared to reunite an owner with his possession.

Really?? I'd have told her in no uncertain terms to move while I grabbed it. I would have no intention on keeping it and I would do the right thing. She most likely gave a crack head money for the next few days of binging and that guy would not even have a chance to recover it. Sneak into her purse and get them back. You should have secured it and then do the right thing trying to get it back to that guy. Sorry to say I believe she was wrong in this instance (my opinion)  

On 11/30/2021 at 1:33 PM, RReynolds said:

Thinks for the post. I have been reading about the US Mint and the Great Treasure Hut and if the two coins I found is part of that. but all in all I am Happeir than >>><<<< lol... 

The US Mints treasure hut is, "The Great American Coin Hunt."  It only consisted of the West Point mintmark quarters. They done it with 2019 quarters and 2020 quarters. Struck so many at West Point and released them into circulation. They never released no coins made from precious metals or any older coins. It was all modern clad quarters dated 2019 and 2020 bearing a W mintmark. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 11/29/2021 at 10:01 AM, Oldhoopster said:

They look completely different than circulating coinage.

Exactly why I have my doubts.  Can you imagine, at the end of the day, when the tills are counted, someone mistaking these coins for circulating coins?  And what cashier today doesn't check their take carefully?  very strange.  No way do these resemble the 'Silver Colored' coins circulating today.

Edited by Alex in PA.
Spelling - as usual

On 11/30/2021 at 3:19 PM, sPaGheTtii said:

Really?? I'd have told her in no uncertain terms to move while I grabbed it. I would have no intention on keeping it and I would do the right thing. She most likely gave a crack head money for the next few days of binging....

Negative.  She did not take it and would not allow me to take it.  (Her father (deceased) was a pastor and she is religious.  (She prays to God before we leave the house, has virtually memorized the Bible which she studies daily and prays again at nite, in excess of 10 minutes -- all in her native language, French.) The station clerks in subway stations refuse to accept lost items and will direct you to the only Lost & Found in the system located underground at 34th Street and 8th Avenue, which uses the same antiquated system which facilitated the theft of the French Connection drugs worth $73 M from the police property clerk's office in 1972. Sadly, her mother "left" i.e., passed away yesterday morning.