• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quick Visit to Chattanooga

25 posts in this topic

Both my wife and I are pretty hobbled physically, so we made a short visit to the Tennessee State Numismatic Assn. show in East Ridge, TN, which is literally a few hundred yards from the Georgia border off I-75, on the eastern ridge of Chattanooga. Hence the name. We drove up after her PT appt on Friday, and after my discharge late Wednesday, so we didn’t have the smoke for a long visit. I drove the whole way with barely touching the pedals - 99% cruise control management. 

We arrived at our lodging just after the show closed for Friday, so we rested up a bit and then grabbed a bite at DosBros Fresh Mexican Grille, across the parking lot. The Colonel, Past ANA Prezzy, Steve Ellsworth, had picked the same dining spot. I offered a polite wave, but he and I have locked horns more than a little bit over the last two and a half years over internal ANA policy issues. My wife really hates the guy’s guts and would probably like to see him dead. He insults the Marine Corps repeatedly. Both my in-laws were Marines. I appreciate his numismatic specialty. That’ll have to be enough. I choose to see him in the light of an EX-Pres. Everyone brings joy; some when they leave.

After a good sleep, we hit the show floor with less vigor than I had planned on. I did some shopping (hint: I left without purchasing a single U.S. coin - NADA!). I found some gorgeous Soviet commemorative roubles for the completion of my son’s set of them. Then I landed some British pieces for my sets, and one will hopefully put me in the running to get #1 on my first posted Registry Set. As a bonus, my name was drawn for the Saturday 11am door prize. There is a newly discovered variety on a modern proof set, so I snagged that year as my prize. We’ll see what happens.

A few more British coins, a bracelet from F.U.N. Prez Bob Hurst’s wife’s material, a new 7x triplet loupe (note @Quintus Arrius, I moved DOWN in magnification from 10x), and an impulse purchase, a nice high grade NGC slabbed tombac wartime Canadian 5-cent piece, with the V reverse. And our stamina was wearing thin. Then our electronic alarm on our phones showed us we had packages on the porch, and showed our semi-feral fur buddy was looking for grub, so we headed back to Arab, AL, an hour and a few minutes drive.

Observation - black boxes with 2021 Morgans and Peace dollars were thick as flies EVERYWHERE, literally thousands on the bourse floor. And prices were falling faster than you-know-whose approval rating. (Watch the Sunday morning talking head shows.) These new tribute dollars are going to be a HORRIBLE market bust folks. It is RAPIDLY becoming a buyer’s market, with the POSSIBLE exception of the CC privy. Fewer of those were sitting around gathering dust and no interest. It was too early for graded ones to be on display, but the black boxes were EVERYWHERE.

Barney, our cute little bobtail semi-feral kitty, greeted us as we arrived home. He ate well.

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/14/2021 at 10:59 PM, VKurtB said:

Both my wife and I are pretty hobbled physically, so we made a short visit to the Tennessee State Numismatic Assn. show in East Ridge, TN, which is literally a few hundred yards from the Georgia border off I-75, on the eastern ridge of Chattanooga. Hence the name. We drove up after her PT appt on Friday, and after my discharge late Wednesday, so we didn’t have the smoke for a long visit. I drove the whole way with barely touching the pedals - 99% cruise control management. 

We arrived at our lodging just after the show closed for Friday, so we rested up a bit and then grabbed a bite at DosBros Fresh Mexican Grille, across the parking lot. The Colonel, Past ANA Prezzy, Steve Ellsworth, had picked the same dining spot. I offered a polite wave, but he and I have locked horns more than a little bit over the last two and a half years over internal ANA policy issues. My wife really hates the guy’s guts and would probably like to see him dead. He insults the Marine Corps repeatedly. Both my in-laws were Marines. I appreciate his numismatic specialty. That’ll have to be enough. I choose to see him in the light of an EX-Pres. Everyone brings joy; some when they leave.

After a good sleep, we hit the show floor with less vigor than I had planned on. I did some shopping (hint: I left without purchasing a single U.S. coin - NADA!). I found some gorgeous Soviet commemorative roubles for the completion of my son’s set of them. Then I landed some British pieces for my sets, and one will hopefully put me in the running to get #1 on my first posted Registry Set. As a bonus, my name was drawn for the Saturday 11am door prize. There is a newly discovered variety on a modern proof set, so I snagged that year as my prize. We’ll see what happens.

A few more British coins, a bracelet from F.U.N. Prez Bob Hurst’s wife’s material, a new 7x triplet loupe (note Quintus, I moved DOWN in magnification from 10x), and an impulse purchase, a nice high grade NGC slabbed tombac wartime Canadian 5-cent piece, with the V reverse. And our stamina was wearing thin. Then our electronic alarm on our phones showed us we had packages on the porch, and showed our semi-feral fur buddy was looking for grub, so we headed out.

Observation - black boxes with 2021 Morgans and Peace dollars were thick as flies EVERYWHERE, literally thousands on the bourse floor. And prices were falling faster than you-know-whose approval rating. (Watch the Sunday morning talking head shows.) These new tribute dollars are going to be a HORRIBLE market bust folks. It is RAPIDLY becoming a buyer’s market, with the POSSIBLE exception of the CC privy. Fewer of those were sitting around gathering dust and no interest.

Barney, our cute little bobtail semi-feral kitty, greeted us as we arrived home. He ate well.

...well presented.....but u didnt address the most compelling question......did u get to see the Choo-Choo?.....

On 11/14/2021 at 10:16 PM, zadok said:

...well presented.....but u didnt address the most compelling question......did u get to see the Choo-Choo?.....

Not this trip, but the “hard infrastructure” bill, the one that gets signed tomorrow, will reinstate actual moving passenger rail travel to Chattanooga, beginning in Nashville, through ‘Nooga, Atlanta, and meets up with Silver Meteor in Charleston. Several other new Amtrak services too, including Philly to my original hometown, Reading, Pennsylvania, and The Rocky Mountain line, from Pueblo up to Boulder. 

For now, the Choo Choo is an upscale restaurant.

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/14/2021 at 7:59 PM, VKurtB said:

A few more British coins, a bracelet from F.U.N. Prez Bob Hurst’s wife’s material, a new 7x triplet loupe (note @Quintus Arrius, I moved DOWN in magnification from 10x), and an impulse purchase, a nice high grade NGC slabbed tombac wartime Canadian 5-cent piece, with the V reverse. And our stamina was wearing thin. Then our electronic alarm on our phones showed us we had packages on the porch, and showed our semi-feral fur buddy was looking for grub, so we headed back to Arab, AL, an hour and a few minutes drive.

Observation - black boxes with 2021 Morgans and Peace dollars were thick as flies EVERYWHERE, literally thousands on the bourse floor. And prices were falling faster than you-know-whose approval rating. (Watch the Sunday morning talking head shows.) These new tribute dollars are going to be a HORRIBLE market bust folks. It is RAPIDLY becoming a buyer’s market, with the POSSIBLE exception of the CC privy. Fewer of those were sitting around gathering dust and no interest. It was too early for graded ones to be on display, but the black boxes were EVERYWHERE.

Not bad--in one post, you (i) mercilessly bashed some poor guy you dislike (is it really so hard not to do that?), (ii) injected politics into where it doesn't belong (is it really that hard not to do that?), and (iii) even managed to tell a story relevant to the group.

On 11/16/2021 at 12:29 PM, 124Spider said:

Not bad--in one post, you (i) mercilessly bashed some poor guy you dislike (is it really so hard not to do that?), (ii) injected politics into where it doesn't belong (is it really that hard not to do that?), and (iii) even managed to tell a story relevant to the group.

...not bad...in one post u managed to make(i),(ii),(iii) totally irrelevant comments that no one cares anything about....

Good that you found some interesting items. There are five of those DosBros Fresh Mexican Grille in the village. It seems that you exhausted all of Chattanooga's "charms" during your visit. I've noticed the same for the 2021 imitation Morgan and Peace NCLT. Care to predict when they fall below issue price?

Edited by RWB

On 11/16/2021 at 3:38 PM, RWB said:

Good that you found some interesting items. It seems that you exhausted all of Chattanooga's "charms" during your visit. I've noticed the same for the 2021 imitation Morgan and Peace NCLT. Care to predict when they fall below issue price?

I'm thinking about Memorial Day 2022. My dream is to be in Scotland or Wales then, but there's a virus out there that may delay that. San Fran probably first, CC privy last, but all will go underwater. My son has one of the more complete Soviet Union sets I know of, and I was glad to snag him a couple of tougher to find pieces. The Brit pieces I found fall into "condition rarity" status, but not "rarity" rarity. One is going to NGC, and is a "Why would you get a coin that common graded?" piece. "Because it completes the registry set, and is in suweeeeet condition", is the ONLY answer.

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/16/2021 at 10:37 AM, VKurtB said:

I write honestly about my thoughts and opinions. Just wait to see what I write later about YOU! LOL! It won't be good, promise.

Lest you stay up nights worrying, I want to reassure you that it never once occurred to me that your malignant maunderings are anything but your "honest thoughts and opinions."  

:)

On 11/16/2021 at 9:51 PM, 124Spider said:

Lest you stay up nights worrying, I want to reassure you that it never once occurred to me that your malignant maunderings are anything but your "honest thoughts and opinions."  

:)

Read the other responses above here. You’re the only one here with malignancy issues. 

On 11/16/2021 at 9:29 PM, VKurtB said:

Read the other responses above here. You’re the only one here with malignancy issues. 

You keep telling yourself that.  You're the one who gratuitously demonized someone in your first post.  I merely pointed out the inappropriateness of much of your post.

If others here like having someone who makes malignant posts, that's not a reflection on me.

I'll leave this sorry thread alone, and let you mud-wrestle by yourself....

Edited by 124Spider

On 11/14/2021 at 10:59 PM, VKurtB said:

He insults the Marine Corps repeatedly. Both my in-laws were Marines

OK... sore subject here, and I'm not trying to open a can of anything, but I will thrown in my view in complete support of the author of this thread.  Without knowing, or really giving a rats A.R.S.e, who this 'ex-anything' is.... if he, or anyone for that matter, comments negatively about our Marines an/or any of our Military, that would be more than enough to turn me away from this guy immediately (I will bite my tongue now while keeping my language polite and just say 'this guy'). I don't think there is anything at all wrong with you bringing this up in your own thread Kurt!  I can pretty much guarantee you I will gladly broadcast my thoughts and opinions about anyone who degrades our past and present Troops!  Ok,,,,, I'm done venting now......😤

Now.... WHERE WAS MY INVITE TO MEET UP WITH YOU AGAIN @VKurtB???My feelings are deeply hurt😞...... That show was less than an hour from me.  Dang it!!

On 11/17/2021 at 10:53 AM, GBrad said:

OK... sore subject here, and I'm not trying to open a can of anything, but I will thrown in my view in complete support of the author of this thread.  Without knowing, or really giving a rats A.R.S.e, who this 'ex-anything' is.... if he, or anyone for that matter, comments negatively about our Marines an/or any of our Military, that would be more than enough to turn me away from this guy immediately (I will bite my tongue now while keeping my language polite and just say 'this guy'). I don't think there is anything at all wrong with you bringing this up in your own thread Kurt!  I can pretty much guarantee you I will gladly broadcast my thoughts and opinions about anyone who degrades our past and present Troops!  Ok,,,,, I'm done venting now......😤

Now.... WHERE WAS MY INVITE TO MEET UP WITH YOU AGAIN @VKurtB???My feelings are deeply hurt😞...... That show was less than an hour from me.  Dang it!!

The ‘Nooga show was “Missing in Action” from several of my usual sources for listings, and it was a 3-day show too. Odd. But I heard about it at the Madison County (AL) Coin Club meeting. The “guy” is a full bird Colonel (ret’d) in the US Army but has only derogatory things to say about all other branches. He saves his most venomous bile for the Marine Corps, which to me, makes him a punk. His service branch is fine. He personally is a jerk. And that”s 98% cleaned up language for this board. He runs Butternut Coins. Which brings me to arachnids. I usually “squash” those too.

On 11/17/2021 at 10:53 AM, ronnie stein said:

Now now, nothing is going to change.  ------- On a lighter note, they've always needed a train from Pueblo to Boulder. Now if they would go from Boulder on west, through Rocky Mountain National Park, via Estes Park, what a ride that would be!

The California Zephyr goes west out of Denver through the mountains already. Darned fine train. I hope the new eastern slope trains connect conveniently with the Zephyr. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/17/2021 at 12:01 PM, VKurtB said:

The “guy” is a full bird Colonel (ret’d) in the US Army but has only derogatory things to say about all other branches.

Ok, I'm clear now on the topic and understand (not really) about his outlandish comments.   I've noticed, maybe I'm wrong here, but there seems to have always been that sort of mentality between the different branches of Service, we're better than you.....  Much like Firefighters and Police Officers.  We always 'jokingly' called the fire guys "Hose Draggers" and they always called us cops "Blue Canary's".  Long story but if you were in public safety you know what I mean.  However..... despite the differences in thinking which Armed Force Branch is better than the other..... The bottom line is this- They always have, they always will, and they always must work together in times of conflict and war in order to aide each another, within their respective capabilities and capacities, in their quest to accomplish and to ultimately complete the task and goal at hand.(thumbsu

Edited by GBrad
Having a hard time spelling today......

Thats awsome you had a great time my good friend. Congrats on the new additions and the win on the door prize. I really hate it for the people that was planning on making big profits on the 2021 Morgans but, it sounds like i may be able to still get a set of them as the price falls. I really want a set bad but when they were on sale at the mint I was going thru a hard time and couldnt afford them. I definately couldnt afford them at the prices when people first placed them on sale. So its great news for me if the prices continue to fall. Gonna try to hold out and cross my fingers. 

On 11/18/2021 at 2:38 PM, Conder101 said:

Was there ever a military branch that DIDN'T insult the other branches?

Nope.  They called us Grunts and we called them Jar Heads, Propeller Heads and Squids.  :slapfight:

On 11/18/2021 at 1:38 PM, Conder101 said:

Was there ever a military branch that DIDN'T insult the other branches?

In front of a young lady who has JUST TOLD HIM that both her recently departed parents were Marines? Sorry, that’s a pig, not a gentleman. Yes, I just called Ellsworth a pig. I might even to his face.

Edited by VKurtB