Thoughts on toning
4 4

74 posts in this topic

I’m late to the punch on this one, but to me toning adds an individuality and uniqueness to a coin that would otherwise look like every other coin out there. I like the various flavors of toning from the full rainbow of colors to golden rim toning to the crazy patterns of “end roll” toning. Halo, crescent, splotchy, I like them all. Toning speaks to how the coin has spent a majority of its life, telling the individual story of that particular coin and it’s journey from point “A” to point “B”.  The only thing I don’t like on toned coins are the fingerprints. I don’t want to think that someone else in the past has fondled my coin. 😆

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/27/2021 at 11:01 PM, Lem E said:

I think it is safe to say the we DO in fact know @rrantique s thoughts on toning. He likes it. He likes it very much.

Hes got some beautifully toned coins. There are several lovely toners. I was a little hasty when I started this thread. I looked at several very ugly toned coins on Ebay and a few other places. Most looked like AT and was overwhelming. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/27/2021 at 10:05 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Hes got some beautifully toned coins. There are several lovely toners. I was a little hasty when I started this thread. I looked at several very ugly toned coins on Ebay and a few other places. Most looked like AT and was overwhelming. 

You quoted me before I could fix all of my spelling errors. xD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/27/2021 at 10:05 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Hes got some beautifully toned coins. There are several lovely toners. I was a little hasty when I started this thread. I looked at several very ugly toned coins on Ebay and a few other places. Most looked like AT and was overwhelming. 

Some are definitely better than others that for sure. In general I mean.

Edited by Lem E
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/28/2021 at 12:29 AM, Lem E said:

Pretty mild toning for me but I like it.1055481E-F7B3-4783-96A7-01C187A03532.thumb.jpeg.62442ac9eef70b8f4c02e358b81f229f.jpeg

This is tasteful toning. Some toning is gaudy and garish. Yours enhances it's look immeasurably. And the high grade earned enviable. Nice catch! 🐓 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/3/2021 at 12:12 PM, Joydeep said:

I avoid toned coins as much as possible unless it is exceptionally beautiful. Then again the cliche "beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder" is very true.

I also am “not a fan” of deep brown to black toning, nor of wildly colored toning, even on bagged Morgans. I do appreciate more subtle tones. The rest you can keep.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/28/2021 at 10:04 AM, RWB said:

"Toning." A subjective description of the visual appearance of surface chemical reactions.

Pending a dispatch from the Great Zadok strongly suggesting otherwise re Yapanese sculpting, no coin is inviolate to toning.  The problem arises when it becomes difficult to distinguish natural from artificial toning. I suppose a coin featuring a psychedelic spiral or tie-dyed effect is an interesting or annoying novelty, and many coins appear to have had their natural toning further enhanced or artificially accelerated, but like most collectors of legitimate collectibles, I prefer coins with light toning much the way your average person is partial to scents with subdued floral notes or a woodsy bouquet. Just a delightful suggestive hint; never an overpowering display.   🐓 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/4/2021 at 9:45 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Pending a dispatch from the Great Zadok strongly suggesting otherwise re Yapanese sculpting, no coin is inviolate to toning.  The problem arises when it becomes difficult to distinguish natural from artificial toning. I suppose a coin featuring a psychedelic spiral or tie-dyed effect is an interesting or annoying novelty, and many coins appear to have had their natural toning further enhanced or artificially accelerated, but like most collectors of legitimate collectibles, I prefer coins with light toning much the way your average person is partial to scents with subdued floral notes or a woodsy bouquet. Just a delightful suggestive hint; never an overpowering display.   🐓 

Ever been to a tropical island? Yap is a tropical island. Yap stones are prone to toning. Black slime. The ultimate state of ALL toning. Toning is corrosion. All of it is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/4/2021 at 11:10 PM, VKurtB said:

Ever been to a tropical island? Yap is a tropical island. Yap stones are prone to toning. Black slime. The ultimate state of ALL toning. Toning is corrosion. All of it is.

I stand corrected. The one and only one I ever saw in the Chase Money Museum, I believe, was in Mint State 63 😉 condition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
4 4