• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Uncirculated Coins

19 posts in this topic

My question is I purchased a coin and it was labeled as Uncirculated but not certified by PCGS or NGC as of yet. Sending it to be graded by NGC, they would be able to label it as such if by their standards it fits the criteria?  I’m new to collecting and all that goes with it. Looking for something on the website about this, I didn’t see any thing or I just overlooked it. Hopefully I don’t seem to ignorant on this question, If I am please bare with me. 

I would like to read more information about uncirculated coins and what to look for, if anyone could steer me in the right direction. 

I would have added a photo but did not want to risk scratching or marking it up. 

Agreed on all counts.  We need photos to tell you anything beyond what has already been said.  Written descriptions are useless when it comes to discerning anything meaningful about coins.  Good, clear, head on photos are an absolute requirement.

Knowing the value of all the coins is not something I think a person that just started would possibly know, that’s something that I am looking forward to learning. It definitely helps if your knowledgeable in that area. So thanks for the heads up on that. 

And yes, the advice about the correct way to hold a coin and how to hopefully ensure they don’t get damaged while inspecting them was very helpful. Thank you. 

These are just pictures I took with my phone, so hope this will help. I will send this in to get graded, even if it may not be worth $150.00 dollars. I like how NGC enhances the look of a coin, with their labels and holders. 571A05A1-B604-4AEF-B713-5979F0F68F56.jpeg.9b7cef77c7cef9d9402570de429f0446.jpegFE8AC496-4F6C-4997-877C-CBC35D503A9A.thumb.jpeg.e8282f0b04fd42299bc330f563f466df.jpeg

On 10/25/2021 at 12:45 AM, Belita Lom said:

Knowing the value of all the coins is not something I think a person that just started would possibly know, that’s something that I am looking forward to learning. It definitely helps if your knowledgeable in that area. So thanks for the heads up on that. 

And yes, the advice about the correct way to hold a coin and how to hopefully ensure they don’t get damaged while inspecting them was very helpful. Thank you. 

These are just pictures I took with my phone, so hope this will help. I will send this in to get graded, even if it may not be worth $150.00 dollars. I like how NGC enhances the look of a coin, with their labels and holders. 571A05A1-B604-4AEF-B713-5979F0F68F56.jpeg.9b7cef77c7cef9d9402570de429f0446.jpegFE8AC496-4F6C-4997-877C-CBC35D503A9A.thumb.jpeg.e8282f0b04fd42299bc330f563f466df.jpeg

Thank you for the pics of your coin Belita.  This is a very nice Proof Bicentennial Quarter but it is not worth a major premium nor submitting in my opinion. However, if you want to submit a raw coin that you own, and it is in your budget to have it slabbed even though turning it may not be profitable (please keep in mind all of the costs associated with submissions), then by all means go for it.  I don't think there is anything wrong at all with having a worthy coin slabbed as long as you realize the costs involved.(thumbsu However, IMHO and not to disappoint you, I am sure there are numerous coins out there of this type that are already graded and slabbed which you could purchase for less.  Just FYI.

Edited by GBrad

Welcome to the forum. GBrad is being truthful. It is a nice proof coin worth somewhere between $6 and $18 if it was in a slab and someone wanted it. After sending in your coin with postage and insurance. and the cost to slab it you will have spent close to $40 sometimes you can get a deal on a slab coin. I always look around first. I want you to understand it is your choice I just wanted to show ya some options.  

Like this.MS 69. . https://www.ebay.com/itm/393644791883?mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&mkcid=1&campid=5337153378&mkevt=1

Or these nice NGC ones     https://www.ebay.com/b/NGC-1976-Washington-Quarters-1932-1998/39461/bn_112642421

Edited by J P Mashoke

I will agree with all that has been said, from a strict financial standpoint it this is not a coin that you would want to spend $30-$50 (that is the cost of grading and the two way postage) to have graded unless it was a lock for a PF70 grade.   Which from your photos I do not think is possible.

However, there are many coins sent in to the grading companies for reasons other than only financial.   So if you have a personal or sentimental attachment and want it graded and encapsulated for a personal reason than I wish you the best luck and I hope you get a high grade.

On 10/23/2021 at 9:28 PM, Belita Lom said:

My question is I purchased a coin and it was labeled as Uncirculated but not certified by PCGS or NGC as of yet. Sending it to be graded by NGC, they would be able to label it as such if by their standards it fits the criteria?  I’m new to collecting and all that goes with it. Looking for something on the website about this, I didn’t see any thing or I just overlooked it. Hopefully I don’t seem to ignorant on this question, If I am please bare with me. 

I would like to read more information about uncirculated coins and what to look for, if anyone could steer me in the right direction. 

I would have added a photo but did not want to risk scratching or marking it up. 

I have wondered literally for DECADES why people want to get low value coins graded. I can see ONE reason someone might want to have THIS one graded and encapsulated. It is a single type coin (minted in both 1975 and 1976) and perhaps a matching slabbed type set is in the offing. I can see this coin making PF69UC, but not 70. It is not “Uncirculated”, but is a proof. 

Thanks, JP, I appreciate your insight on this topic and the help in options of purchasing a coin like this one, and thank you,VKurtB for your insight. 

It seems that the consensus is I shouldn’t waste my time in getting this graded, due to the fact it will not be graded at a 70. It’s not that I expected it to be graded at a 70, it’s just the fact that it is a good looking coin and I think It will look great encapsulated.  I’m new to all this so getting a decent coin graded is exciting TO ME.  Maybe some of you don’t get excited over something you think is so trivial, but I do. Maybe you never did? Willingness to take good advice and good criticism is something I can definitely do. So some of the comments are worthy of that, and some are not. Please try and remember, someone new coming into coin collecting is looking to you (old hats), dealers, or professional coin collectors for just that. In the end all criticism is good food for thought. 

Happy Collecting everyone. 😊

On 10/25/2021 at 12:50 PM, Belita Lom said:

Thanks, JP, I appreciate your insight on this topic and the help in options of purchasing a coin like this one, and thank you,VKurtB for your insight. 

It seems that the consensus is I shouldn’t waste my time in getting this graded, due to the fact it will not be graded at a 70. It’s not that I expected it to be graded at a 70, it’s just the fact that it is a good looking coin and I think It will look great encapsulated.  I’m new to all this so getting a decent coin graded is exciting TO ME.  Maybe some of you don’t get excited over something you think is so trivial, but I do. Maybe you never did? Willingness to take good advice and good criticism is something I can definitely do. So some of the comments are worthy of that, and some are not. Please try and remember, someone new coming into coin collecting is looking to you (old hats), dealers, or professional coin collectors for just that. In the end all criticism is good food for thought. 

Hi Belita,

This can be a non-gentle crowd, but they generally mean well.

I've never paid to get a coin certified, but I can understand the allure.  But what people are saying is that getting THIS coin graded would be a financial loss--It won't be worth nearly as much as you would pay to get it certified.  

If this particular coin has some sentimental value, people are saying, go for it.  But if all you want is a bicentennial quarter in a slab, buy one already slabbed; it'll cost less and be much less trouble.

Mark

On 10/25/2021 at 3:50 PM, Belita Lom said:

Ya Balita ,It just so happens I have a few of the Bicentennial coins myself and I don't plan on ever sending any of them out to be graded. I like them just the way thy are.

1776-1976 set.jpg

On 10/25/2021 at 7:26 PM, RWB said:

When fresh, Bicentennial coins were tasty and nicely seasoned. However, over time tastes have changed and they probably need a little more spice now -- maybe a dash of sriracha or some really good green chilies.....

Or a little paprika.  A little paprika can work some real magic (thumbsu

Nice collection of Bicentennials, will have to put what I have for a collection in order. Then do my research on the coins I think I want to submit.  That’s just to ensure I am getting my monies worth, and not wasting it. 

I do appreciate all the feed back, it does make a person think and make better decisions. 🤪