• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ANA removes "Zerbe" name from its highest award.
1 1

56 posts in this topic

A notice published in the October Numismatist states that at a January 19, 2021 meeting of the ANA Board, the name of huckster, fraud, and briber Farran Zerbe was (at last !) removed from the association's highest honor. We can only hope that the ANA Board will attach the name of some truly distinguished and honorable deceased member to future editions. [See Numismatist, October 2021, page 67.]

Yours truly has long complained to any who would listen of the irony of having a shyster's name on this, or any, ANA award, and is pleased to have uncovered a fine selection of Zerbe's deceptions, lies, and hoaxes while researching American numismatics.

I am going to resolve to do the virtually unheard of thing and wait very, very patiently for that guy with all the ANA decorations, affiliations and a host of networking contacts, here in the states and abroad, to weigh in on this first, before submitting my own take on this.

On 10/20/2021 at 3:03 PM, RWB said:

A notice published in the October Numismatist states that at a January 19, 2021 meeting of the ANA Board, the name of huckster, fraud, and briber Farran Zerbe was (at last !) removed from the association's highest honor. We can only hope that the ANA Board will attach the name of some truly distinguished and honorable deceased member to future editions. [See Numismatist, October 2021, page 67.]

Yours truly has long complained to any who would listen of the irony of having a shyster's name on this, or any, ANA award, and is pleased to have uncovered a fine selection of Zerbe's deceptions, lies, and hoaxes while researching American numismatics.

Who would you suggest the award be named after? 

On 10/20/2021 at 8:30 PM, Mohawk said:

Ratzie33 or Researchcoins.

Funny how I was thinking the same thing until my thumb scrolled down to your comment.  Truthfully, this is not an easy question to answer.  Were you around that time when Coin World published their list of the hundred most influential people in numismatics since the 1960's and the dissension began over why A, B, and C were on it while presumably more accomplished, influential people were overlooked?

Here in NYC, Thomas Jefferson's Statue was just removed from the rotunda of the city's City Hall.  But isn't he the same president honored on the nickel and two-dollar bill?

I have a feeling this thread is going to be a long one and I can't wait to hear what @VKurtB has to say.

On 10/20/2021 at 8:48 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Funny how I was thinking the same thing until my thumb scrolled down to your comment.  Truthfully, this is not an easy question to answer.  Were you around that time when Coin World published their list of the hundred most influential people in numismatics since the 1960's and the dissension began over why A, B, and C were on it while presumably more accomplished, influential people were overlooked?

Here in NYC, Thomas Jefferson's Statue was just removed from the rotunda of the city's City Hall.  But isn't he the same president honored on the nickel and two-dollar bill?

I have a feeling this thread is going to be a long one and I can't wait to hear what @VKurtB has to say.

In all seriousness, you're right Quintus.  I don't know......maybe they shouldn't name it after anyone and just give the award an entirely new name without attaching the name of a person to it.  I'd be well in favor of that option.

Edited by Mohawk

On 10/20/2021 at 2:03 PM, RWB said:

When you write that “A notice...states...” if you’re going to insert your own words/opinions into the sentence, you should clearly indicate such. As written, you make it sound as if the notice included references to “huckster, fraud, and briber” and I presume that wasn’t the case.

Bowers would be a very good choice if a nameless placeholder award can be given out until he leaves us.  I agree.

On 10/20/2021 at 8:58 PM, VKurtB said:

. If it can be held “nameless” temporarily, it should be named for Q. David Bowers when he passes. It is a service award, and no one I know has CONTRIBUTED more to the field than Bowers.

Is there a rule that says the award can not be named for a person who is still living?

On 10/20/2021 at 10:28 PM, Just Bob said:

Is there a rule that says the award can not be named for a person who is still living?

Why? You volunteering? :roflmao:

On 10/20/2021 at 10:28 PM, Just Bob said:

A very good question, actually.  If there is not, then Bowers would be a great choice now.

On 10/20/2021 at 9:42 PM, Mohawk said:

A very good question, actually.  If there is not, then Bowers would be a great choice now.

As far as I know, ALL ANA service awards are named for non-living persons. The only one I’m aware of that is named for a living person is the one I won this year - the Joseph Boling Award. Joe pays for it, and is a jury of one who decides who wins it. The Goodfellows Club originally endowed it, but Joe has always adopted it as a personal expense. Joe’s is NOT a service award, but for a particular thing - excellence in exhibit judging.

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/20/2021 at 9:58 PM, VKurtB said:

Pretty close. This is an old story. It’s been around since the ANA Rosemont show. The LAST Zerbe ever goes to a personal friend, Kerry Wetterstrom. The cruel irony is that his home club, Red Rose of Lancaster, PA is atrophying at an alarming rate. Too many takers, not enough doers.

The ANA is out of the gold Zerbe medals (only 10k gold - like a class ring). I know this from the disposition of the estate of the OTHER Red Rose Coin Club member to win it, the man who mentored me on exhibits, the late great John Eshbach, a fellow Franklin & Marshall man. It is time to order more, so this was the time to do this if changes were to be made. This hobby is a hot mess. I seriously doubt there is ANYONE who could be found who is dead now, who has an overwhelmingly positive reputation, and who would not be controversial to others. In fact, the only name that occurs to me for now is John Eshbach. If it can be held “nameless” temporarily, it should be named for Q. David Bowers when he passes. It is a service award, and no one I know has CONTRIBUTED more to the field than Bowers.

This is quite honestly a pretty shady field, with an amazing number of serious creeps and crooks.

Regarding Bowers - he won the award, same with EPN. Would that restrict them from having the award named after them? I guess it wouldn’t matter because it was the Zerbe at that point in time. 

Edited by Zebo

On 10/20/2021 at 9:33 PM, MarkFeld said:

When you write that “A notice...states...” if you’re going to insert your own words/opinions into the sentence, you should clearly indicate such. As written, you make it sound as if the notice included references to “huckster, fraud, and briber” and I presume that wasn’t the case.

Read the original notice before complaining. Apology accepted, Mark. :)

ANA003.thumb.jpg.01b6b82aa015bb3fd49c182eb3ce16f3.jpg

Edited by RWB

KurtB makes a good point about the shady side of the hobby/business. Part of the naming discussion should include whether this is an ANA-only award concept and thus possibly bear the name of an ANA member, or if it is to be a more expansive Numismatic award given by the ANA. Back when the award was initiated, the core of American coin collecting was within the ANA, so it was logical that the honor go only to a member. But that has changed and ANA is, at best, a peripheral organization with almost no influence in the hobby or business.

To me, the question then has two parts: What should be the nature of the award, parochial or cosmopolitan? Plus, should be award be titled as an honor for a distinguished ANA member? If yes, then who?

If named for an individual, I feel that no one involved in business-end should be considered. There are too many shady sides to the business that, like Zerbe's behaviors, would bring the award into disrepute. Eliminating all dealers, etc. presents a problem because they are the ones with the highest name recognition - but, we must then go back to the definition/nature of the award. Is it desirable to attach a person's name? I've often suggested Eric P. Newman, but my approach is biased since I worked on his biography and had free access to all of his papers and records. There might be someone else.

Edited by RWB

On 10/21/2021 at 10:50 AM, Zebo said:

EPN was my first choice, but I could also see Bowers. Other than that - I draw a blank.

Newman would be good as well, Zebo, I agree.  

On 10/21/2021 at 10:06 AM, RWB said:

Read the original notice before complaining. Apology accepted, Mark. :)

ANA003.thumb.jpg.01b6b82aa015bb3fd49c182eb3ce16f3.jpg

...i didnt notice the words..."accusations, complaints, allegations"...in the OP's thread?, i guess literary license is selectively permitted depending on the source...thinly veiled opinions crossing into facts again possibly, nothing new.....

On 10/20/2021 at 10:40 PM, Just Bob said:

Is there an award named after Chester Krause?

Not that i am aware of, not at the ANA at least.

On 10/21/2021 at 9:28 AM, RWB said:

KurtB makes a good point about the shady side of the hobby/business. Part of the naming discussion should include whether this is an ANA-only award concept and thus possibly bear the name of an ANA member, or if it is to be a more expansive Numismatic award given by the ANA. Back when the award was initiated, the core of American coin collecting was within the ANA, so it was logical that the honor go only to a member. But that has changed and ANA is, at best, a peripheral organization with almost no influence in the hobby or business.

To me, the question then has two parts: What should be the nature of the award, parochial or cosmopolitan? Plus, should be award be titled as an honor for a distinguished ANA member? If yes, then who?

If named for an individual, I feel that no one involved in business-end should be considered. There are too many shady sides to the business that, like Zerbe's behaviors, would bring the award into disrepute. Eliminating all dealers, etc. presents a problem because they are the ones with the highest name recognition - but, we must then go back to the definition/nature of the award. Is it desirable to attach a person's name? I've often suggested Eric P. Newman, but my approach is biased since I worked on his biography and had free access to all of his papers and records. There might be someone else.

It is fundamentally THE top service award given BY the ANA TO an ANA member.  There are over 25,000 current members. 

Edited by VKurtB

As membership continues to decline along with ANA's value to collectors, maybe the award should be reevaluated, not just in name but in purpose.

On 10/21/2021 at 4:00 PM, RWB said:

As membership continues to decline along with ANA's value to collectors, maybe the award should be reevaluated, not just in name but in purpose.

...fortunately real coin collectors will get to decide.....

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Putting aside for a moment Roger's unrelenting sarcasm, I will point out that Farran Zerbe was a good proponent for the hobby, though clearly he promoted himself in tandem with it. The primary reason the ANA's overall top award was named for him is that he had the fortunate timing to die just before this award was established and was thus the most recently deceased person of prominence in the hobby. The Zerbe Award should have been named after the ANA's founder, Dr. George Heath, whose reputation remains unsullied but whose renown was already fading by 1951. It's probably too late to do that now, since he is already attached to the association's top literary award. So many great figures become forgotten over time and fail to get their due. An example is Maurice Gould, who did so much to advance the ANA's primary role in numismatic education. Along with a number of other achievements he created the Summer Seminar that will be revived next year after the pandemic hiatus of 2020-21. The coin hobby, sadly, has a short memory when it comes to the great figures of its own past.

Few of the truly meritorious ANA members of the past were/are well known - simply because the publilcity goes to sellers/deep pocket buyers, and not the meaningful "doers."

(As to sarcasm --- Zerbe was not trusted by Treasury or San Francisco Mint officers. That is in the PPIE files at Treasury. He was a tireless promoter IF he got his "pot of gold." The ANA leadership, not wishing to deal with truth or investigate before investing, was happy to demean the organization by attaching Zerbe's con to the ANA's coin award. I'm also curious about why the Awards Committee should look for "funding sources" for such a long-established award. It's not as if there's a fat check to accompany the Five'n'Dime certificate.)

Edited by RWB

On 10/21/2021 at 4:04 PM, RWB said:

Few of the truly meritorious ANA members of the past were/are well known - simply because the publilcity goes to sellers/deep pocket buyers, and not the meaningful "doers."

(As to sarcasm --- Zerbe was not trusted by Treasury or San Francisco Mint officers. That is in the PPIE files at Treasury. He was a tireless promoter IF he got his "pot of gold." The ANA leadership, no wishing to deal with truth, was happy to demean the organization by attaching Zerbe's coin to the ANA's coin award. I'm also curious about why the Awards Committee should look for "funding sources" for such a long-established award. It's not as if there's a fat check to accompany the Five'n'Dime certificate.)

True, but the ills of Zerbe are far from unique. Look, I’ve been HEAVILY involved with the ANA for about 10 years, waaaaaay more involved than some board members have been. Before then, I was “just” a typical member recruited by John and Nancy Wilson. When I was tapped by Kerry Wetterstrom to be on his host committee for Philadelphia 2012, I became überinvolved and I haven’t stopped. I’ve been to EVERY summer ANA show (that wasn’t canceled) ever since. And I missed one early spring show, February 2020, because my wife’s mom died. 

There is one unspoken tension that has ALWAYS divided the ANA membership. There is the “Dealer Party” and the “Collector Party”, and they secretly REALLY hate each other. Dealers vote for the Board of Governors, and nominate candidates, like fiends, and they have a ridiculously outsized influence. The rift is starting to get nasty and personal. I am a strident “Collector” guy. That faction is temporarily in power. Getting rid of Colonel Ellsworth’s ham fisted and extreme disdain for collectors in the new Board was a two year long quest. He saw the ANA as the dealers’ private domain. Knowing the ridiculous personal private power wielded by Presidents, it’s likely I’ll never vote for a dealer ever again. It’s an EDUCATIONAL body, NOT a trade organization. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/21/2021 at 4:04 PM, RWB said:

(As to sarcasm --- Zerbe was not trusted by Treasury or San Francisco Mint officers. That is in the PPIE files at Treasury. He was a tireless promoter IF he got his "pot of gold." The ANA leadership, not wishing to deal with truth or investigate before investing, was happy to demean the organization by attaching Zerbe's con to the ANA's coin award. I'm also curious about why the Awards Committee should look for "funding sources" for such a long-established award. It's not as if there's a fat check to accompany the Five'n'Dime certificate.)

IDK about the successor to the Zerbe Award, but I do know that virtually ALL ANA awards do have long term sponsors. Even the individual Class exhibiting awards are endowed. Class 4, the Class for modern coin exhibits, is endowed by the Red Rose Coin Club, and named for John Eshbach. 

Edited by VKurtB