• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Random Silver Coin Identification

20 posts in this topic

This silver coin came out of a lot of uncleaned coins that I’ve started to try and clean.. slowly and carefully.  Was wondering if anyone can identify where this coin is from? For some reason i’ve been super intrigued by the coin since I got the dirt off

Edit:

Weight - 1.1 grams

Diameter - still looking for something on hand to measure with 

461E1F86-3045-4B32-9CBB-E9943FD48A83.jpeg

C38FF37A-0055-4B28-9A9D-C0D980C535D4.jpeg

Edited by imperatorcoaticus97

On 10/4/2021 at 7:15 PM, J P Mashoke said:

Do not clean anything . just leave it the way it is

As I said I am not knowledgeable on this type of coin but until you have gotten someone who is.............. leave them as they are.

On 10/4/2021 at 6:18 PM, J P Mashoke said:

On 10/4/2021 at 6:18 PM, J P Mashoke said:

As I said I am not knowledgeable on this type of coin but until you have gotten someone who is.............. leave them as they are.

I totally get where you’re coming from but you misunderstand, this isn’t a coin I got in a lot that I personally thought was dirty. This was a lot of coins that were completely raw out of the earth and have tons of build up on them. Since I’m no expert in cleaning all I’ve been using thus far is distilled water soaking and sometimes using a toothbrush to gently take of the dirt..  and luckily this guy’s dirt build up came off super easy the first day I started

On 10/4/2021 at 6:30 PM, J P Mashoke said:

How were you able to get coins fresh from a dig ?

I didn't say they were fresh from a dig I said I bought a lot of uncleaned coins. I don't know the how man like I said, I bought a lot of like 40 or so ancient uncleaned coins, does it matter? As I've cleaned them I've spotted a few roman coins with details starting to emerge, can't wait to get all them finished but it'll take awhile as I don't wanna cause unnecessary and stupid damage to them trying to rush the process while I'm still learning

I am of no help, but those that will be able to help will need weight to two decimal places and diameter in centimeters. That will be the first thing asked so get ahead of it. 

On 10/4/2021 at 6:57 PM, Woods020 said:

I am of no help, but those that will be able to help will need weight to two decimal places and diameter in centimeters. That will be the first thing asked so get ahead of it. 

Awesome thanks for putting me ahead of the curve, so with my other indian coins 

On 10/4/2021 at 6:58 PM, imperatorcoaticus97 said:

Awesome thanks for putting me ahead of the curve, so with my other indian coins should I just use this as the main thread and post the different silver ones I have here?

Generally speaking people ask for you to do one coin per thread. For these get a close and well focused picture front and back. Try to get it as big as possible in the screen while still in focus. Then post weight and diameter. 

On 10/4/2021 at 6:59 PM, Oldhoopster said:

Cleaning and conserving ancient and medieval coins is not frowned upon like modern coins.  In fact, most ancients have been cleaned.  When I started dabbling in ancients 20+ years ago, it was easy to buy dirty, crusty uncleaned lots and try your hand at conserving them.  Without cleaning, you would never be able to ID them.

Yeah ancients are a whole other ballgame. Cleaning is a necessity. But with that said OP learn how to properly clean them to be as gentle as possible. I’m sure you can get some good advice on that here also. Unfortunately 1800s is really old for what I collect so I am no help to you here. 

On 10/4/2021 at 7:02 PM, Woods020 said:

Yeah ancients are a whole other ballgame. Cleaning is a necessity. But with that said OP learn how to properly clean them to be as gentle as possible. I’m sure you can get some good advice on that here also. Unfortunately 1800s is really old for what I collect so I am no help to you here. 

Right, I've been taking it extremely slow and will continue to as I learn the process, it would be awesome if there are people here who have experience cleaning I'd love to talk to them

On 10/4/2021 at 7:05 PM, imperatorcoaticus97 said:

Right, I've been taking it extremely slow and will continue to as I learn the process, it would be awesome if there are people here who have experience cleaning I'd love to talk to them

There are some very knowledgeable ancients guys on here. I’m always impressed in their ability to do some homework and identify coins. It’s very humbling to a US collector. To be a good ancient collector you better have something between the ears. 

Hi Andrew!!

Well...it looks like it's an early Islamic piece to me......but that's the best I've got :frown:.  I'm hoping that JKK can figure this one out 'cause you've got me stumped!

~Tom

Edited by Mohawk

On 10/4/2021 at 8:04 PM, Mohawk said:

Hi Andrew!!

Well...it looks like it's an early Islamic piece to me......but that's the best I've got :frown:.  I'm hoping that JKK can figure this one out 'cause you've got me stumped with that one!

~Tom

Thanks tom :-) I personally figured either islamic or some sort of small crusader state coin, hopefully someone who knows will come along

OP, don't forget to include diameter in Millimeters, and weight in Grams. I can assure you that JKK will not even crack open the first book until he has this info.

On 10/5/2021 at 3:52 PM, Just Bob said:

OP, don't forget to include diameter in Millimeters, and weight in Grams. I can assure you that JKK will not even crack open the first book until he has this info.

Thank you. I just realized I told him centimeters in my earlier post 😂

On 10/5/2021 at 5:10 PM, Coinbuf said:

Calling @JKK

Seriously!! I can't think of anyone else who may be able to attribute this one.....as I told Andrew, he's got this ancient guy stumped with this one!