• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC Price Guide is outdated
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Who's to say that both are not accurate? ;)

I don't argue your thought process or logic on this JP but in the end that's why you as a potential buyer evaluate, study and compare prices to come to an informed decision on value. Buy the coin not the holder.

On 9/29/2021 at 11:50 PM, Woods020 said:

Probably want to post this in ask NGC section. And there is a recent acquisition section to post what you buy and add to your collection. Neat coins to see come through there as well. 

Yes I did post a copy of this in the ask NGC forum on Monday night but it has not been approved by a moderator ,therefore no one can see it yet .

it is just a guide, use it for what its worth.  Personally I seldom look at either the NGC or PCGS guides, I find recent auction results are a much better real world gauge of value.   Only on very unusual coins that are seldom seen in the marketplace would I consult the guides, which for the material I buy is almost never.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 9/30/2021 at 1:00 PM, Coinbuf said:

it is just a guide, use it for what its worth.  Personally I seldom look at either the NGC or PCGS guides, I find recent auction results are a much better real world gauge of value.   Only on very coins that are seldom seen in the marketplace would I consult the guides, which for the material I buy is almost never.

Yes I did state in my OP that it is only a guide and a high end price guide at that . And I agree the sold auction price is a closer price range. But when I am out coin shopping the guide is so much easier reference to pop up on your phone when looking at coins in hand. I just think it would serve everyone better if it was up to date. Oh well just a hopeful wish from a grumpy old man.:preach:

On 9/30/2021 at 12:51 PM, J P Mashoke said:

Yes I did state in my OP that it is only a guide and a high end price guide at that . And I agree the sold auction price is a closer price range. But when I am out coin shopping the guide is so much easier reference to pop up on your phone when looking at coins in hand. I just think it would serve everyone better if it was up to date. Oh well just a hopeful wish from a grumpy old man.:preach:

I agree I am a strong cynic about the TPG price guides. I will say if you need a quick view, I do prefer the PCGS coin facts app. NGC may have the same functionally but I haven’t seen it. Could be user error. But what I like more about it is it shows a short list of recent auction prices. Usually 3 or 4 eBay listings. But it atleast shows you real world recent sales. Ironically it’s never really the same as the price they list and you would think they would notice. But in a tight it’s better than just looking at the price guide. 

To be honest though I wouldn’t blame the TPGs if they deleted the price guide. Personally that’s not what I need from them. I want good grading with reasonable turnaround times. I don’t expect them to be my source for everything. So while I think the guides are incorrect I’m not upset about it. They have better things to do. 

Edited by Woods020

Like the rare coin report I saw today 1874-cc 10c Arrows MS 58+ yesterday's price $825,000 todays price $82,500 loss of 742,000  - 90%      Oh boy that hurts I hope it was a mistake.

On 9/30/2021 at 2:34 PM, J P Mashoke said:

Like the rare coin report I saw today 1874-cc 10c Arrows MS 58+ yesterday's price $825,000 todays price $82,500 loss of 742,000  - 90%      Oh boy that hurts I hope it was a mistake.

It’s probably because it was graded MS 58+ 😂

In reality it was probably a misprint. That’s clearly a misplaced decimal point 

I have come across numerous coins recently that have not been updated in some time.  One going back to 2016 just about a week ago.  Then there are some varieties not even listed at all.  An example on hand is the 1943 D/D 10C VP-003 Mercury Dime FB. If you look that up you can find a number of them for sale online and all graded by NGC. Yet D/D exists in the price guide for some other coins like Buffalo Nickels and Roosevelt Dimes to name a couple.  PCGS does a much better job updating their price guide often.  This I would like to see NGC get a handle on and keep up on.  Rarely do I see Greysheet higher than NGC but have come across it more often lately when checking prices for auctions I'm watching.  

d-d.JPG

Those guides or their online equivalante are just ballpark estimates.  You really need to check the recent sales prices at auction from HA, GC, or even Ebay.

As more people are buying online, the actual sales price can vary much more today than 10-20 years ago when the internet was more of a specialty thing.  Plus, you have so many more participants since Covid struck.  Prices are lagging all around.

I find the price CHARTS for coins from PCGS and NGC to be more valuable than their most recent price.  The TREND over a few years can be seen and then you can check out recent acutal sales and see what's been happening in recent weeks and months.

As a rule of thumb ATS prices are higher and coins in their holders carry higher premiums in the marketplace. I also think that price guides, regardless of the source, should be used as a guide only. Where available, I prefer sold auction prices as a much better trend. 

I also think it should be noted that different coins although dated and graded the same, even within the same TPG, can carry vastly different prices. Look at coins that have sought after toning and the premiums they can carry.

I agree. However, not all of the listing prices are outdated. Just some. I’ve found coins that have prices dating to 2014. True, some coins don’t change much, but if we coin snoopers are going to make a C👀L purchase, show me not da money, show me the real value! Happy New Year E’Body! 🥳🥳🥳