• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1942 Worn shiny war nickel
1 1

29 posts in this topic

It could be plated, too.  It's not as common as it is with cents, but I've come across plated War Nickels before.

On 9/26/2021 at 8:48 PM, Patman54 said:

I'm wondering if maybe is on the wrong planchet. Thinking maybe should have tested 🤔 

I don't think that's it at all. It's a regular silver War Nickel.  Whatever happened to it, whether it was polished or plated, happened after the coin was struck and circulated for a very long time.  The simplest and most likely explanation is often the correct one.  

Edited by Mohawk

I have some shiny nickels but mine are in slabs and say MS. That one looks like it was put on a buffing wheel after a nice long dip. It has still got some silver in it so hang on to it maybe silver will be worth something some day.:whistle:

I agree with the rock tumbler. Probably a metal detector find. That rough/stippled surface is consistent with tumbling. And the abrasion and chemicals used in the tumbler made it shiny. 

It could just as likely be tooled. Regardless it isn’t natural and is a damaged coin worth silver content. 

Edited by Woods020

On 9/26/2021 at 9:06 PM, Patman54 said:

Nothing wrong with dreaming 

There can be if it costs you money, which is very possible in this hobby.  I cannot tell you how many times I've seen people either submit or almost submit worthless, damaged coins to NGC because of thoughts like the improper planchet thing.  I was trying to save you that experience and save any future new people who saw this thread that experience as well.

Is that person trying to sell a single, circulated, regular old business strike clad quarter for $500?! That's terrible and should be criminal......where did you find this listing?

Edited by Mohawk

Ah, I see you said Offer Up....looks like we need to add that to the DO NOT BUY FROM EVER list, along with Mercari, Etsy and Alibaba.

On 9/26/2021 at 9:26 PM, Mohawk said:

Is that person trying to sell a single clad quarter for $500?! That's terrible and should be criminal......where did you find this listing?

Wow they must be Key dates. I hate to see what he charges for CC Morgan's:ph34r:

I'm not exactly sure what he is doing He also has Is National Park's quarters on the same post. By the way it is supposed the sounds like he doesn't speak English And it is for all of them. As one. Maybe Couldn't make much sense of it. Went on his page he has ponies and Nickels posted is posted as well.  You could get them for 500.

On 9/26/2021 at 9:33 PM, J P Mashoke said:

Wow they must be Key dates. I hate to see what he charges for CC Morgan's:ph34r:

$54,000.  For an 1882-CC in FR02. With a "Pac-Man" error lol

Edited by Mohawk

Patman.....just so you know, apps like that are some of the worst places you can buy coins.  Lots of rip-off artists and fakes.  I just don't want to see you or anyone else get burned, that's why I'm saying this.

On 9/26/2021 at 9:36 PM, Patman54 said:

You'll love this one.  the coin posted as a 1973

Screenshot_20210926-213530_OfferUp.jpg

That's just TERRIBLE.  Man, Offer Up is giving Etsy a run for its money as far as being the very worst place to ever buy coins.  Things like this should be illegal.  That half dollar is only worth 50 cents.

On 9/26/2021 at 9:35 PM, Mohawk said:

Patman.....just so you know, apps like that are some of the worst places you can buy coins.  Lots of rip-off artists and fakes.  I just don't want to see you or anyone else get burned, that's why I'm saying this.

I already got a fake Morgan. But got it through shipping And denied Acceptance Have been unable to get hold of anyone from offer up. 

On 9/26/2021 at 9:38 PM, Mohawk said:

That's just TERRIBLE.  Man, Offer Up is giving Etsy a run for its money as far as being the very worst place to ever buy coins.  Things like this should be illegal.  That half dollar is only worth 50 cents.

Exactly what I told him

On 9/26/2021 at 9:39 PM, Patman54 said:

I already got a fake Morgan. But got it through shipping And denied Acceptance Have been unable to get hold of anyone from offer up. 

I'm so sorry to hear that but I'm not surprised.  Things like Offer Up are numismatic cesspools.  A lot of fakes are dumped on there.  You want to stay away from Etsy, Mercari and Alibaba as well.  There are many good dealers online who have websites.  I myself do not collect U.S. coins, but I'm sure some of the members here could help guide you to some reputable sellers of U.S. coins.  

On 9/26/2021 at 9:45 PM, Patman54 said:

Occasionally I find a good deal I got this morning a is a entire roll of silver  silver dimes. That came from apmex for 100

Apmex is definitely reputable.  They're a great place for bullion related coins and things like that.  When I was collecting different coins than I collect now, I bought a few things from them myself.  Usually very good quality and if it's not, they make returns and exchanges super easy.

Edited by Mohawk

On 9/26/2021 at 9:47 PM, Mohawk said:

Apmex is definitely reputable.  They're a great place for bullion related coins and things like that.  When I was collecting different coins than I collect now, I bought a few things from them myself.  Usually very good quality and if it's not, they make returns and exchanges super easy.

Thanks for the info