• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it Old eyes or Double Die's
1 1

25 posts in this topic

You all know me by now and I would not put this up but I see a different type of doubling here than normal Mechanical Doubling. See how the line is rounded not flat look at the  O in God it starts out on the outside left and circles into the center back where it started. You can see it best on the rounded letters and numbers but it is on all of them. Is this more like  Hub Doubling ???

I did not find a listing for this in Vista. Let me know what you guys think.

S20210827_0002.jpg

S20210827_0003.jpg

On 8/27/2021 at 9:58 AM, James Zyskowski said:

Me too JP. I only know a little but I believe mechanical doubling has flat edges more like a step (sorry more coffee and words will come). The more experienced will clarify soon. Very cool 🤓🙀

Yes these lines are rounded and continues not stepped like when the die jumps, So are they in the die itself that is the question ?? 

Here’s a picture of my d.Carr 55. He engraved it on the die. For comparison some with different varieties can post. This is not your coin and is really a reproduction. But it’s awesome to look at. I get dizzyer. Great Friday thread. Thanks again JP

CE9E9756-77F3-46F7-8A8B-73681467E836.jpeg

773B2BB3-CCE4-4DE0-8A35-79C52859121A.jpeg

Edited by James Zyskowski

On 8/27/2021 at 10:19 AM, GBrad said:

Hello JP.  There are a few 2018 LSC known doubled dies but I don't believe yours is consistent with them.  All of the known 2018 DDO's are a form of class 9 doubling and this type of doubling is very obvious.  The devices (in this case it would be the year, 2018) are very prominent in their size and distortion and LIBERTY should be affected too.  I believe I see die deterioration doubling on the 8 of the date. There is a form of useless doubling calling Ejection Doubling which I feel like this is what I may be seeing on the O of GOD.  

Here is the Liberty it has lines also, not as pronounced as the top words

S20210827_0004.jpg

On 8/27/2021 at 10:35 AM, J P Mashoke said:

Here is the Liberty it has lines also, not as pronounced as the top words

S20210827_0004.jpg

Thanks for the pic of LIBERTY JP.  Not seeing any true doubling here either.  You need to look for enlarged and distorted devices on these newer Shield Cents.  Pretty much all they will exhibit is class 9 doubling and to me at least it is very noticeable.  The glare from these pennies is nice but makes them about impossible to clearly photograph due to the glare.  Thinking ya just have die deterioration here bud.  The doubling in LIBERTY on the 2018 (and most all Shield Cents) will take place in the form of 'notching' on the lettering.  Typically on the last three letters-RTY on the tops or bottoms of the legs and cross members of the letters.  Let me try to find a pic of a DDO I found to show you for comparison.  Hope this helps.  (thumbsu

Here's a 2015 LSC DDO I found awhile back (found a 2019 as well) but all of the dates in this series will typically look like this if a doubled die. Can you see the major distortion of class 9 I'm talking about, as well as the profound notching?  Stands out like a sore thumb to me,..... especially after looking at about 1,089,786 of them.......lol (and I still don't like them....)

Image 4-5-21 at 11.00 PM (3).jpg

Image 4-5-21 at 11.00 PM (4).jpg

Edited by GBrad

I am not saying it is a DD that was just the title... I wright music and the title sounded so good (Is it Old eyes or Double Dies) :roflmao: I am not looking and any of the edges of the devices that is reflection I was looking at the lines in the centers they are not typical looking Mechanical Doubling that is why I posted it , but it I guess it is just a different variation of the same old thing.(thumbsu

On 8/27/2021 at 12:56 PM, J P Mashoke said:

I am not saying it is a DD that was just the title... I wright music and the title sounded so good (Is it Old eyes or Double Dies) :roflmao: I am not looking and any of the edges of the devices that is reflection I was looking at the lines in the centers they are not typical looking Mechanical Doubling that is why I posted it , but it I guess it is just a different variation of the same old thing.(thumbsu

I want you to write a song titled this and post it on the forum for all to hear!!!!!

On 8/27/2021 at 1:14 PM, GBrad said:

I want you to write a song titled this and post it on the forum for all to hear!!!!!

LoL ,The Double Die Blues, In the Key of A

On 8/27/2021 at 11:32 AM, GBrad said:

Here's a 2015 LSC DDO I found awhile back (found a 2019 as well) but all of the dates in this series will typically look like this if a doubled die. Can you see the major distortion of class 9 I'm talking about, as well as the profound notching?  Stands out like a sore thumb to me,..... especially after looking at about 1,089,786 of them.......lol (and I still don't like them....)

Image 4-5-21 at 11.00 PM (3).jpg

Image 4-5-21 at 11.00 PM (4).jpg

Hello GBrad 

Newbie here and to varietys just wanted to know what class 9 doubling is that you refer to?? I hadn't realized there is different classes of doubling. Is the a link here on NGC website with literature i can read up on about double dies? Also other variety and error types?

Thanks Jeff

On 8/27/2021 at 9:53 PM, JAnsley said:

Hello GBrad 

Newbie here and to varietys just wanted to know what class 9 doubling is that you refer to?? I hadn't realized there is different classes of doubling. Is the a link here on NGC website with literature i can read up on about double dies? Also other variety and error types?

Thanks Jeff

Hello Jeff and welcome to the forum.  Here is a very good link that will explain all of the classes of dies.  Class 9 is also listed in this tutorial.  I have always heard that a class 9 doubled die is a type of hub doubling that simply doesn't fit into one of the first eight classes.  It does however have its own characteristics as you can see from this article.  Hope this helps.  

http://www.error-ref.com/?s=classes

GBrad.   I always enjoy your comments but dang dude I am really impressed with how much knowledge you have tucked away in your little corner of Georgia . Thanks for sharing.

🤠 James  

ps. Looking forward to your song JP blues arrangement 👍🏼

Good luck fishing 🎣 

image.png

Edited by James Zyskowski