• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two NGC Sample Slabs Acquired at Chicago

44 posts in this topic

Those are cool VkurtB, did you find them at the Chicago show? I’ve seen samples as I’m going through 10,000 mint baseball cards, but not seen a sample NGC. Is that from NGC, what exactly dies the sample label indicate?

On 8/19/2021 at 2:14 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Those are cool VkurtB, did you find them at the Chicago show? I’ve seen samples as I’m going through 10,000 mint baseball cards, but not seen a sample NGC. Is that from NGC, what exactly dies the sample label indicate?

One is for sitting down with an NGC rep and discussing NGC registries, what you like and what you don’t. This took about 20-30 minutes. The other is for all who attended the ANA District and Club Representative EARLY morning meeting last Friday. 

On 8/19/2021 at 1:33 PM, VKurtB said:

One contains a 1967 British half penny, one of the last struck at the old Tower Hill Mint in London, and the other contains a 2019-D “golden” dollar from the Native American / Sacajawea series.

9E76E608-1665-418D-9384-2D44F05E5987.jpeg

That 1967 sample slab has a low pop I think. Weren't they limited....very nice....

On 8/19/2021 at 6:23 PM, J P Mashoke said:

They both look brand new yet there is no grade on them any reason for that VKurtB

If I'm not mistaken, I believe most sample slabs do not have a grade on them.  At least, most of the ones I've seen usually don't have a grade.  I've seen a few that actually did carry a numeric grade, but they're definitely in the minority in my experience.

Edited by Mohawk
Typo

On 8/19/2021 at 5:23 PM, J P Mashoke said:

They both look brand new yet there is no grade on them any reason for that VKurtB

They are brand new. Sample slabs tend not to have grades. Some people make a specialty out of collecting them. 

On 8/19/2021 at 5:17 PM, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

That 1967 sample slab has a low pop I think. Weren't they limited....very nice....

20 per day, and I don’t think they did Saturday. So maybe 80?

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

They half penny samples went also to the kids who participated in Treasure Trivia, but I don't know how many were dispensed through that game.

@VKurtB..... Not to change the subject here (but I believe I just did..) I assume you are on the way to Dalton since you're not currently online? Thinking about heading there today maybe but I will be there tomorrow for sure as of now.  

On 8/20/2021 at 11:46 AM, GBrad said:

@VKurtB..... Not to change the subject here (but I believe I just did..) I assume you are on the way to Dalton since you're not currently online? Thinking about heading there today maybe but I will be there tomorrow for sure as of now.  

Right now I am killing time at the ANA table at Dalton. Will be back tomorrow. I’ll be here from 10 to 3-ish tomorrow, Saturday. VERRRRY U.S.-centric show. Not great for World coins, but some. 

All the dealers are really helpful and courteous. Now I have to choose a grub source. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/20/2021 at 4:45 PM, VKurtB said:

Right now I am killing time at the ANA table at Dalton. Will be back tomorrow. I’ll be here from 10 to 3-ish tomorrow, Saturday. VERRRRY U.S.-centric show. Not great for World coins, but some. 

All the dealers are really helpful and courteous. Now I have to choose a grub source. 

Chili’s for ribs. Close enough to my hotel to walk it. 

On 8/20/2021 at 5:45 PM, VKurtB said:

See you tomorrow!  If your forum avatar pic looks anything like you I will find youxD. I really look forward to meeting you. (thumbsu

On 8/20/2021 at 5:47 PM, GBrad said:

See you tomorrow!  If your forum avatar pic looks anything like you I will find youxD. I really look forward to meeting you. (thumbsu

I’ll be wearing a teal Chicago Coin Club golf shirt. At “Crackhead Barrel” now chowing down. 

On 8/20/2021 at 6:47 PM, GBrad said:

Just ask where is VkurtB. They will give you a look like . who ? Never heard of that name before..  Either that or @VKurtBmight easily recognize you by your avatar Bigfoot @GBrad

On 8/21/2021 at 1:10 PM, Jason Abshier said:

Just ask where is VkurtB. They will give you a look like . who ? Never heard of that name before..  Either that or @VKurtBmight easily recognize you by your avatar Bigfoot @GBrad

Headed there as I type. (Don’t text a d drive…). Is kan mak y o mispell werds!

Edited by GBrad

On 8/21/2021 at 1:20 PM, GBrad said:

Headed there as I type. (Don’t text a d drive…). Is kan mak y o mispell werds!

So how was the show????

On 8/22/2021 at 7:26 PM, J P Mashoke said:

So how was the show????

Hey J.P.  The show was really good. I have only attended a few shows in my entire life, never attended the FUN show in Florida which I hear is massive, but the one here in Dalton. GA was by far the biggest I have ever attended. I think they quoted 300+ tables at this show but after walking by 10 or 20 tables I was hooked. I spent most of my time looking through Lincoln and Jefferson albums and picked out a few raw keepers there. Several Jefferson SMS’s from 65, 66 and 67 along with several 1943 Steel Linc’s. The Jeffersons I think I really scored on…. The 43’ steels I’m not so sure at this point. If in fact, one of the 1943’s Philly’s hasn’t been wizzed…… then it is a remarkable coin. Just not sure yet but I have my doubts. Haven’t broken out the Jeffersons yet from their 2x2’s but I will later tonight or tomorrow.  
You may have already read that I met @VKurtB there. Helluva good guy. Helped me out on some much needed knowledge and a Morgan purchase as well. Maybe not a “BIG”show by some other’s standards but for North Georgia, and for me, this was the junk (that means good….😁)

Edited by GBrad

On 8/22/2021 at 8:56 PM, GBrad said:

Hey J.P.  The show was really good. I have only attended a few shows in my entire life, never attended the FUN show in Florida which I hear is massive, but the one here in Dalton. GA was by far the biggest I have ever attended. I think they quoted 300+ tables at this show but after walking by 10 or 20 tables I was hooked. I spent most of my time looking through Lincoln and Jefferson albums and picked out a few raw keepers there. Several Jefferson SMS’s from 65, 66 and 67 along with several 1943 Steel Linc’s. The Jeffersons I think I really scored on…. The 43’ steels I’m not so sure at this point. If in fact, one of the 1943’s Philly’s hasn’t been wizzed…… then it is a remarkable coin. Just not sure yet but I have my doubts. Haven’t broken out the Jeffersons yet from their 2x2’s but I will later tonight or tomorrow.  
You may have already read that I met @VKurtB there. Helluva good guy. Helped me out on some much needed knowledge and a Morgan purchase as well. Maybe not a “BIG”show by some other’s standards but for North Georgia, and for me, this was the junk (that means good….😁)

Outside of major shows with national reputations, that Dalton show was impressive. Just one notch below the nationally known ones. 

On 8/22/2021 at 9:56 PM, GBrad said:

You may have already read that I met @VKurtB there. Helluva good guy.

You know he was in the witness protection program.....  I hope we see you again :) 

On 8/21/2021 at 11:20 AM, VKurtB said:

I’ll be wearing a teal Chicago Coin Club golf shirt. At “Crackhead Barrel” now chowing down. 

Been dealing long................

On 8/23/2021 at 10:48 AM, VKurtB said:

witness tampering program. LOL. I’m still not used to “gree-yuts” as a staple

Oh man i wish i was still allowed to eat'um  but the docotr told me that with diabetes i am not allowed to eat anything that would be cooked in the south as a staple ....Grits, toast, taters, butter bread.....  just about anything thats good is off limits now..  and i still look at the disgusting diet tea wondering where the block of sugar is in the bottom :(

On 8/23/2021 at 2:47 PM, JT2 said:

Oh man i wish i was still allowed to eat'um  but the docotr told me that with diabetes i am not allowed to eat anything that would be cooked in the south as a staple ....Grits, toast, taters, butter bread.....  just about anything thats good is off limits now..  and i still look at the disgusting diet tea wondering where the block of sugar is in the bottom :(

When traveling on I-81, grits disappear northbound beyond about Martinsburg, WV. 

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

When I joined NGC in 1994 we were giving out chocolate slabs as samples. They depicted a 1953 Franklin Half Dollar inside an NGC holder, the whole wrapped in aluminum foil. If I had saved one it would likely bring a huge price on eBay, but the chocolate was already stale at that time. Don't ask me how I know that...

On 8/23/2021 at 9:48 AM, VKurtB said:

No, but I’ve been in the witness tampering program. LOL. I’m still not used to “gree-yuts” as a staple.

Since you didn't grow up with them, I have to ask: Are you a sugar, or salt-and-pepper kind of guy?

On 8/23/2021 at 4:06 PM, VKurtB said:

When traveling on I-81, grits disappear northbound beyond about Martinsburg, WV. 

On 8/23/2021 at 4:33 PM, Just Bob said:

Since you didn't grow up with them, I have to ask: Are you a sugar, or salt-and-pepper kind of guy?

If uins is from the south...... thar ain't nuttin better than Suga in yo grits!!!!  Oh my..... I grew up on them.  You guys are making me want to go to Waffle House right now and eat a few bowls!

On 8/23/2021 at 5:01 PM, GBrad said:

If uins is from the south...... thar ain't nuttin better than Suga in yo grits!!!!  Oh my..... I grew up on them.  You guys are making me want to go to Waffle House right now and eat a few bowls!

Maple syrup