• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of silver
4 4

2,209 posts in this topic

If I may, I should like to break the awkward silence that has ensued in lieu of a rebuttal to a recent post by explaining my own position...

Aside from the matter of authenticity which would ordinarily be of paramount importance to a coin collector, I "liked" the coin in question because if it isn't, it still represents an important element: an attempt at interpretation of what its creator envisioned and it is that very "crudeness" that appeals to me and that I find aesthetically interesting and pleasing. 

Edited by Henri Charriere
Spelling

On 5/1/2023 at 8:45 PM, ldhair said:

12.jpg

11.jpg

I can see what others might like about pieces like this, but they are not my thing. Congrats on this piece for what it is. All the high points are undisturbed. 

On 5/7/2023 at 7:04 PM, VKurtB said:

I can see what others might like about pieces like this, but they are not my thing. Congrats on this piece for what it is. All the high points are undisturbed. 

Maybe someday you will post something you do like about this hobby. 

On 5/7/2023 at 8:04 PM, ldhair said:

Maybe someday you will post something you do like about this hobby. 

Getting less by the week. As per your piece, I’d rather own it with just a wee bit of yellowish toning with maybe a bit of further peripheral color, not more. I like your reverse far better than the obverse. My preference would be nearly white, but good luck with that. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/7/2023 at 9:05 PM, VKurtB said:

Getting less by the week....

1. You kiddin' me?  Take another look at that upcoming itinerary of yours. You're busier now in the thick of retirement than when you were working. All hobby related.
Edited by Henri Charriere
Eliminating white space.

On 5/7/2023 at 9:40 PM, ldhair said:

Image_1186.JPG

Image_1197.JPG

Like my predecessor, I too am a sucker for tasteful, peripheral, iridescent toning.

On 5/7/2023 at 8:40 PM, ldhair said:

Image_1186.JPG

Image_1197.JPG

Now THAT is sweet. Maybe it looks better to me on a proof. 

On 5/7/2023 at 8:23 PM, Henri Charriere said:
  1. You kiddin' me?  Take another look at that upcoming itinerary of yours. You're busier now in the thick of retirement than when you were working. All hobby related.

Just one of the reasons my future “non-working” (ANA) trips are skewed so heavily overseas is that I am rapidly becoming disenchanted with U.S. centered numismatics. There’s too much insanity. Also, my Summer Seminar course is Advanced Study of World Coinage. If that, coupled with London and Berlin trips, don’t metaphorically SCREAM “fed up with U.S. numismatics” to you, well, I don’t know what to tell you. Besides, if I emulate my relatives’ speech patterns, I just may be understood more in Berlin than in London.

Edited by VKurtB

The last photos are of an 1836 lettered edge half dollar, the last made under the older "open collar" method. These photos are of an 1836 reeded edge half dollar, the first issue under the close collar method and with a steam powered press:

1836reededhalfdollarobv.(2021).jpg.4023576f2550055eafd2d37fa290384e.jpg1836reededhalfdollarrev.(2021).jpg.ce46397c98ed720bd1187f61fa75799a.jpg

Photos courtesy of Stacks Bowers Galleries.