• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ANA Rosemont On-site Report
1 1

66 posts in this topic

On 8/11/2021 at 1:19 PM, RWB said:

Any tornadoes, yet?

Close enough to hear, and hear sirens, but not see, personally.

On 8/11/2021 at 3:53 PM, VKurtB said:

Close enough to hear, and hear sirens, but not see, personally.

Well, I would not want anything untoward to happen to my mentor, but you must admit you deliberately disregarded my orders to stay out of the skies and off the roads.   Your itinerary has never been more complex. Can't have you gallivanting about like that at your age. [I will find out Friday whether a reassessment of my 4.2 is indicated. I will let you know]   😉

On 8/11/2021 at 6:37 PM, Coinbuf said:

Translation; the dealers have maxed out the prices between themselves and now await the pidgins to be plucked at retail + prices.

Pigeons, as in extinct passenger pigeons  You wouldn't call a Lincoln a Linkin, right? I'm going to let you slide on this one because of your well-established, long-time presence on the Forum, unassailable character, reputation, vast store of numismatic knowledge and last, but not least, enviable, stunningly breath-taking compilation of top-shelf Lincoln Head cents.   😉

On 8/12/2021 at 4:26 AM, DWLange said:

NGC is indeed slammed but still standing. It's been a terrific show so far.

The Tyrant USA type set is amazing, and I recognized a few old acquaintances among the many gems. I also checked for possible upgrades to my own type set and discovered that every one of them qualified!

I imagine this to be true for most. 

On 8/11/2021 at 5:07 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

What do those 2 things mean for the numismatically ignorant  ? xD

PNG - Professional Numismatist’s Guild, a trade association of mostly upscale coin dealers. For their detractors, also stands for Pretty Nasty Guys, but we kid because we care. 

NGC - our esteemed hosts, herein. 

On 8/11/2021 at 3:28 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Well, I would not want anything untoward to happen to my mentor, but you must admit you deliberately disregarded my orders to stay out of the skies and off the roads.   Your itinerary has never been more complex. Can't have you gallivanting about like that at your age. [I will find out Friday whether a reassessment of my 4.2 is indicated. I will let you know]   😉

I have snagged a business card of a dealer who regularly handles high end roosters. Will PM when I get home. 

On 8/13/2021 at 6:20 PM, VKurtB said:

I have snagged a business card of a dealer who regularly handles high end roosters. Will PM when I get home. 

In that case, kindly disregard a previous comment mischievously misattributed to me. Godspeed!  :roflmao: P.S. Much obliged!

One of the nation’s premier Abe Lincoln impersonators is in attendance as well as Pittsburgh’s Pat McBride (a serious numismatist) as Ben Franklin. Both are very entertaining. I finally got some bourse time, picking up some really sweet British Shillings and a few war era Vatican pieces. Also a 1914 Swiss Franc in MS. I have not yet bought ANY U.S. coins and I might not. 

I dropped off the four PCGS to NGC crossovers I described earlier. Two of them are fairly early PCGS slabs. I specified the existing PCGS grades as my NGC minimums. We’ll see what happens. 

have to agree with vkurt, pretty decent show after a years lay off....not over crowded but busy...lots of ss central america ingots on the floor some diff to pick up....choice US better dates bit on the scarce side this show...some very impressive inventories in gold ancients, especially the roman emperors...i saw more gold transactions than anything else...lincoln was never that chubby however...im not a saint gaudy fan but the 1907 ehr proof69 was one of the most impressive coins on display there....did not see as much clamor on morgans as before...over all id say the foreign coins on the floor more impressive than the US coins, except for the tyrant display....david l. was busting butt every time i saw him....heritage legacy lounge was a pleasant reprieve...only found 5 coins to buy, but cant buy whats not there....

The Lincoln impersonator pulled me aside and told me my present beard and face shape makes me a natural, with proper attire, for a Robert E. Lee impersonator. Now I have to talk the wife into letting me keep it this long. 

At the SOB Numismatists meeting (Society of Bearded…), whose motto is whiskey, whiskers, and wampum, I won the first door prize, a 375ml “half bottle” of Jack Daniels Old #7. We got an Ira Goldberg led tour of the Tyrant Collection. 

Banquet tonight, where my good friend Kerry Wetterstrom,  of CNG and Red Rose Coin Club, both of Lancaster, PA, won the Farran Zerbe Award, the ANA’s highest honor. For 13 years, he published The Celator. 

On 8/14/2021 at 12:37 AM, VKurtB said:

The Lincoln impersonator pulled me aside and told me my present beard and face shape makes me a natural, with proper attire, for a Robert E. Lee impersonator. Now I have to talk the wife into letting me keep it this long. 

At the SOB Numismatists meeting (Society of Bearded…), whose motto is whiskey, whiskers, and wampum, I won the first door prize, a 375ml “half bottle” of Jack Daniels Old #7. We got an Ira Goldberg led tour of the Tyrant Collection. 

Banquet tonight, where my good friend Kerry Wetterstrom,  of CNG and Red Rose Coin Club, both of Lancaster, PA, won the Farran Zerbe Award, the ANA’s highest honor. For 13 years, he published The Celator. 

Sounds like you are having a great time. I’m always in a rush at shows and really do not take in the extras. Have an Italian Beef for me. Soaked with  giardiniera and natural sauce please. 

On 8/14/2021 at 6:35 AM, Zebo said:

Sounds like you are having a great time. I’m always in a rush at shows and really do not take in the extras. Have an Italian Beef for me. Soaked with  giardiniera and natural sauce please. 

Is that anything like “Alabama white sauce”? It’s an Alabama thing I have not yet adopted.

Okay, the new Board of Governors met this morning. There is going to be a new ANA book of assembled The Numismatist articles regarding all 56 America the Beautiful Quarters. Yes, it’s no big hairy deal for those of us contemporary with the series. But what about the collectors of future generations? The first person reports on the launch ceremonies will be valuable all assembled in one place. I suggested an addendum to the book, listing which coins in the set had San Francisco non-proofs, and which added West Point and WW2 privy marks.

On 8/14/2021 at 3:21 PM, VKurtB said:

Ten minutes ago, I was awarded the Joseph E. Boling Award for Exhibit Judging Excellence. The award is given by Joe himself and endowed by the ANA Goodfellows, the association of past convention host committee chairs.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Once again Kurt, congratulations!! That is an amazing honor!!

On 8/14/2021 at 3:21 PM, VKurtB said:

Ten minutes ago, I was awarded the Joseph E. Boling Award for Exhibit Judging Excellence. The award is given by Joe himself and endowed by the ANA Goodfellows, the association of past convention host committee chairs.

image.jpg

image.jpg

:golfclap:

Congratulations. A busy day, some sampling of that Old #7 might be in order. :banana: "I love it when a plan comes together."