• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC v PCG Membership ?

13 posts in this topic

I’m no expert , never ever will call myself an expert when it comes to coin collecting …. But for world coins I’d go with NGC , now both PCGS and NGC as you know they do not grade on the exact standard if you look at if you look at enough PCGS coins and NGC coins of same coin and grade compare the two you’ll start see why both companies establish a grading market and standard of their own… Not saying they both are better than each other (I don’t drink the PCGS “cult” kool-aid thinking every coin my collection must be PCGS it’s worth more money it’s more superior than every other coin out there graded by a different grading company)

but I own both PCGS and NGC and ANACS coins . However I’m a NGC member , a guy I work with is a PCGS member so we both can send coins if we need through each other … I haven’t sent in raw coins for grading for long time, most of time I just buy the coin already graded and keep my raw coins raw as they come 

On 8/9/2021 at 4:45 AM, Jason Abshier said:

I’m no expert , never ever will call myself an expert when it comes to coin collecting …. But for world coins I’d go with NGC , now both PCGS and NGC as you know they do not grade on the exact standard if you look at if you look at enough PCGS coins and NGC coins of same coin and grade compare the two you’ll start see why both companies establish a grading market and standard of their own… Not saying they both are better than each other (I don’t drink the PCGS “cult” kool-aid thinking every coin my collection must be PCGS it’s worth more money it’s more superior than every other coin out there graded by a different grading company)

but I own both PCGS and NGC and ANACS coins . However I’m a NGC member , a guy I work with is a PCGS member so we both can send coins if we need through each other … I haven’t sent in raw coins for grading for long time, most of time I just buy the coin already graded and keep my raw coins raw as they come 

Thanx that's what I was thinking (both are good & personal preference) and I definitely see the difference in sale prices based on "cult- Kool aid" :)  Thanx

I like both companies for different reasons, the only thing I hate is the PCGS "we are better" dealers and collectors that have created an artificial price difference in the market.   In time this pricing difference has been slowly rebalancing, but for the time being there is still some of that artificial market bias against NGC holdered coins.   So if you want to submit for immediate sale then you may see higher pricing results with PCGS for US coins.  If you are sending in world coins then NGC is the far better choice, they have a much better world registry and NGC world coins perform better in the market, again that is right now.

On 8/9/2021 at 12:55 PM, Coinbuf said:

may see higher pricing results with PCGS for US coins

@Coinbuf I’m starting to see higher prices with PCGS German coins ! As well it’s not just US coins . They are claiming higher prices by Population reports I see some nice german coins in PCGS holders also see a lot nice German coins in NGC holders as well , I’m still not sold on buying by Population reports , there still a lot nice German raw coins out there that just hasn’t been graded yet , I myself own a lot of German coins some of them are grade worthy but I keep them raw for now I have no intention of selling them anytime soon so having them grading isn’t just practical to me right now 

On 8/9/2021 at 10:40 AM, Jason Abshier said:

@Coinbuf I’m starting to see higher prices with PCGS German coins ! As well it’s not just US coins . They are claiming higher prices by Population reports I see some nice german coins in PCGS holders also see a lot nice German coins in NGC holders as well , I’m still not sold on buying by Population reports , there still a lot nice German raw coins out there that just hasn’t been graded yet , I myself own a lot of German coins some of them are grade worthy but I keep them raw for now I have no intention of selling them anytime soon so having them grading isn’t just practical to me right now 

Good info, I don't follow or collect any world coins and I have read the PCGS has been making inroads on NGC's grip on the world market however I think that NGC is still the market leader in that overall area for now.   Perhaps the marketing grip that Hall created at PCGS (with the help of some dealers) has run its course and the market will see some semblance of equality across the top two TPG's and all types of coins in the near future.

On 8/9/2021 at 1:50 PM, Coinbuf said:

PCGS has been making inroads on NGC's grip on the world market

I believe it’s a few PCGS dealers who are dabbling around in German coin market and other world coin markets trying to establish a “PCGS only” market just like they’ve done with the US market . One German coin dealer I know I buy from time to time I believe he’s a PCGS dealer 99% of his inventory is graded by PCGS I see a lot nice pattern strikes and few hard to find German coins , proofs , scarce dates and so on … but the prices are scary , that’s thing with world coins hard to put a solid price on something once its get graded “top pop” comes along with a wacky made up price to see who bites the bullet to buy it 

I'm no expert as I only started collecting at the start of covid but will say this from the graded coins I have which include NGC, PCGS and ANACS.  Aside from costs, brand name preference, and ability to sell later, I find the PCGS holders chip the easiest out of the three brands.  There is just something about their plastic.  I'm very picky about buying those.  They have to be perfect for me because I'm not paying to have a coin reholdered.  I also found American Silver Eagles tend to milk spot more in PCGS holders than NGC holders.  Still in either of these two holders I feel I can sell my coins much easier if I wanted to.  Coins I have that I knew were mid grade or lower but still nice little finds I went with ANACS on two submissions.  It wouldn't have been worth it to pay the NGC or PCGS fees.  Have to say I actually like the ANACS holders.  I like that I can read the specs without having to take them out of my NGC boxes.  Really like that.  Initially was attracted to the ANACS holders but they have a great purpose with the top the way it is.  So for me with taking cost out of the picture, NGC would be my first preference.  Have to say the labels have the best eye appeal.  PCGS has to work on that and their plastic that chips easy and shows wear on the rails.