*NGC Registry - What are a few of your favorite things?
5 5

14 posts in this topic

• Administrator

We already have a thread asking you about what features you would like to see added, but here we are asking what do you enjoy most about the NGC Registry and the NGC collecting community? Thanks for your feedback!  hm

image.png

I wanted to post a thread that compared the PCGS registry to the NGC registry, because each has aspects that I prefer over the other. Ultimately I put a hold on that idea because it may not have been welcome but some, but maybe now... since there is a "pinned" thread on a similar topic.

Having a registry is great, even if not competing.  There is no comparable way to see all of your coins so quickly and easily.  Don't get me wrong, I like to examine my actual coins, but it is not always easy getting them out of safes, safety deposit boxes, etc.  Now I carry them all on my phone!  

Edited by BlakeEik

I love the NGC Registry because like @BlakeEik mentions, it is an excellent (and easy) way of viewing your coins. In addition to viewing, I like that you can also document anything about each coin—like the specifications and mintage data, or information on who/what the coin is commemorating or what it was minted for. As with may others, I try to include as much information as I can for each of my coins so I don’t have to search multiple websites for information.

One of the very best things about the NGC registry is the level of inclusiveness it provides by including PCGS graded coins in the US sets.   This is a very good thing as the exclusive nature of the competing registry turns me off to using it for competitive sets.   I think there are a few ways that this option could be improved upon going forward but this is a very nice feature that I am glad has returned and will not be changed again as it was for a brief time in the past.

I also very much enjoy perusing the sets and view the photos and comments (for the few sets that have them) from the owners, numbers filling the holes is fine but the photos and descriptions really tell the tale.  I really enjoy the sets where the owners have taken extra time to describe the nature of the set, the motivation and desire behind why the set was assembled, and real descriptions of each coin so you can feel the passion that the collector had when that coin was acquired.

And lastly I do enjoy the competition at some level, it keeps me motivated to continue to add quality coins and improve my sets.  Not just the numbers on the slabs but also the photos and descriptions including adding collage shots for the set photos where the rank banner is shown.

On 7/16/2021 at 1:29 PM, Coinbuf said:

One of the very best things about the NGC registry is the level of inclusiveness it provides by including PCGS graded coins in the US sets.   This is a very good thing as the exclusive nature of the competing registry turns me off to using it for competitive sets.

I, too, think it's great to allow coins from other services be allowed in constructing your virtual sets. Personally, I think any holder or raw coin should be allowed, but only NGC coins should be worth points for competition.  I know that this goes against precedent and would anger many with lots of PCGS U.S. coins (I too have many) but for me, the ability to build virtual sets is more important than the competitive aspect. And although I respect the graders of both PCGS and NGC, there are certainly differences and having them compete against each other is not always "oranges to oranges."

...And to accentuate my point about the competition... It really makes me wonder when I see people with ONLY PCGS graded coins in the NGC registry (shrug)

Don't they know there is a registry for only PCGS graded coins? :preach:

On 7/17/2021 at 10:22 AM, BlakeEik said:

I, too, think it's great to allow coins from other services be allowed in constructing your virtual sets. Personally, I think any holder or raw coin should be allowed, but only NGC coins should be worth points for competition.  I know that this goes against precedent and would anger many with lots of PCGS U.S. coins (I too have many) but for me, the ability to build virtual sets is more important than the competitive aspect. And although I respect the graders of both PCGS and NGC, there are certainly differences and having them compete against each other is not always "oranges to oranges."

...And to accentuate my point about the competition... It really makes me wonder when I see people with ONLY PCGS graded coins in the NGC registry (shrug)

Don't they know there is a registry for only PCGS graded coins? :preach:

Even though it would mean that I would lose my 1st place rank for at least one set I also agree (and have said this on several occasions) that the registry awards should be calculated using only NGC coins.   As to the last part, well its quite possible that some of those PCGS only sets are here because they cannot compete with the whales like Hanson that dominate the PCGS registry.  Is it really worth putting a set up when one guy has the top 5 sets in so many of the available categories, it seems to me that his dominance of the registry ats could possibly kill off the interest for many. 

I guess I should state the obvious: I really appreciate the generous prizes NGC awards to set winners.  It's not why I enjoy it "most" but it is very appreciated. 

The people, long time members, first timers, the NGC staff, etc. who participate on the Forum. A largely hands off approach in monitoring/moderating the boards, the ease of requesting new sets, slots, corrections and the prompt responses. The Water Cooler, woop woop! The overall structure and organization of the registries. :golfclap:

A two-part question. Hot diggity! 

Let's see now, the Set Registry.  Okay, for me it's its sleek, clean, modern look and ease of access. It would take more than a lifetime of perusing each and every one of its delectable offerings. You can tell a great deal about a person by what he collects, and the NGC SET REGISTRY tells no lies and holds nothing back.^^

As to the NGC collecting community, no finer or more diverse (and occasionally, divisive 😉) group of people have ever been assembled anywhere at one time and in one place, as here. One thing I have come to recognize, acknowledge, and accept is the likelihood that there may very well be 150 years of numismatic experience at play amongst members, and those not similarly endowed ought to tread lightly, be appropriately tentative in their responses and deferential in their posture, as circumstances dictate. One big and, at times, captivating learning experience where one never knows whom he will stumble into nor what treasures they may bear 🐻. As I very often have been "heard" to exclaim, I [truly] love this place!  🐓

I like the competition along with the sharing of ideas and collecting goals. A good group of collectors to boot. Best of all - they can take a joke or criticism. An honest opinion can go a long way at times. 

NGC's Registry is more aesthetically pleasing by far, thank you for that.

--  the eye appeal is greater than other registries that might look like barely more than basic excel spreadsheet rows

--  when looking at one's own list of Competitive Sets we see 'Set Name' in bigger, colored font with the 'Composite Name' in smaller, black lettering underneath; this was an excellent decision, along with the rank number beside it in italics and bigger point-size

--  when looking at a set itself, it's great that a large 'profile photo' of a coin can be placed at the top of the page, along with the title of your set in bigger letters again, your name underneath, when it was last updated and number of views also easily viewed under collector's name and set title, then a few lines of the collector's comments with option to '...Read more...'

--  it's great to see two larger photos of the coin first (i.e. 'Images' is the first column), then the slot description, grade, points, etc

We only joined ANA & NGC less than three years ago and slowly reading through and learning more about the wealth of wisdom available within the community chat boards, forums, journals, etc, not to mention all the resources NGC makes available under each tab at the top of its web pages!  Much appreciation to all of you teachers and your sharing.

<3  :golfclap: