• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

*NGC Registry - What are a few of your favorite things?
5 5

36 posts in this topic

On 12/3/2022 at 6:44 PM, TeacherBrian said:

Have fun collecting them, I also want to save up for one of the full sovereigns from either 1817 or 1819!  :takeit:

1817? No problem at all. 1819? Um... well... hope you are Buddhist, because I think you'll be saving for a couple of lifetimes. :angel:

• Administrator
On 12/12/2022 at 3:05 PM, Kinsmen said:

Hello, 

Not sure if this is still relevant to the "Feature" discussion. I was thinking the ability to invert the reverse of the photographed coin. To me I find the inability to flip the image disappointing.

Its a common adobe type function what's the chances of incorporating it?

/r

Kinsman

Hello. You may save the reverse image from your NGC Registry set to your own computer. Then use your own photo editing software to flip the image and then save it. Then upload the new image to your NGC Registry set. Thanks.

Many good points here.  I'll name 2 good/great points and 2 deficiencies:

GOOD:  Able to use the NGC App to inventory my coins. Better than looking at a mini-Excel spreadsheet.  I'm NOT a registry person at all and would remind NGC that many new people might find the app SUPER-USEFUL as I have so don't shortchange it for the more serious register folks (although I agree they are the priority).

GREAT:  The bar scanner works great, only negative is that you can't use it to add coins to the Competitive Coins inventory list as I explained in another thread (at least on my Galaxy S9).

BAD:  No prices for lots of modern coins, mostly bullion coins like silver.  Should be easy to grab recent sales from Ebay for these moderns....or just use the price of silver bullion....better, start with the price of bullion and build a model that gives a "fair value" for the grade (<68, 68, 69, or 70).  ANYTHING is better than NOTHING -- and having a total (like the folks ATSxD) would be nice.

WORSE:  As I indicated, can't add coins via the scanner, I had to manually enter all my coins with numbers.  Not a problem for a few dozen...but anybody with hundreds (or thousands !) is going to want to scan as it is so much faster.

Overall, a good app...I NEVER thought to use it for inventory purposes and I've been on these forums for over a decade.  I just did it in the last week or so.   I'd spread the word that it's not just for competitive registry builders and see if you can fix the 2 issues I cited to make it even better for beginner or intermediate collectors. (thumbsu

Edited by GoldFinger1969

I'm here, I'm here!  Albeit a little late to this party.  lol

The Good:

The new NGC registry layout looks awesome on the computer.    My main collecting goal is my US type including moderns.  I have other interests but I focus on that one the most and I love being able to view it online and share it with others while still remaining anonymous.   I enjoy coin photography as well so I'm very happy with how easy it is to upload your own pictures to it.  Many coins take extra time to get good photographs of and it allows me that capability.    The ability to add notes with coins, often for my own reference is another great aspect.      As has been repeated many times, it's very smart to include PCGS coins as not all of us are only searching for the right slabs for our sets.   Some scarcer coins I'm willing to get in either slab and makes me feel better that I can use in my registry.    There's no point in having a harsh rivalry and not allowing them.    It would only serve to anger people and likely not change anything.    

Needs Work:

One thing that could stand to be changed is the ability for users to edit their own values in the blank spots.   I understand that the system is unable to price details graded coins because every one is a case by case basis.   Often times these are still nice coins that weren't free, that were chosen only to save a few hundred or even few thousand dollars, while still being a nice example that may still have been costly.   As someone else said, many moderns are still missing.    Edited values could be a different color and/or a different font to let the user remember over time.   The values are a useful tool for the owner themselves and aren't seen by anyone else anyway so this should be an easy thing to add.    If you're only able to edit the blank spots, I'd be happy.

Next thing, as far as I know, I don't know that anything has been done to make it easier to use a nice banner link to the new registry pages that reflect accurate, up to date numbers.   If this has to be totally re-done than it should be and with a new look and easier to use.   What better free advertising do you have besides people willing to put a clickable link in their sig line below forum posts to share their collections with others?   This should have been a priority and updated long ago.   

I like the the fact that the NGC Registry will take both NGC and PCGS U.S. coins. I buy the coins I like, not the holder. 

This concept allows for more of the best sets to be on display. The PCGS, PCGS only, policy severely limits my participation in their registry. I have built two sets over there, and don't plan to build any more. 

I really enjoy being able to go to my sets and easily see what I got and what I need. Its a great tool to help you keep sets organized. I also enjoy looking at the awsome coins fellow collectors have in their sets. I really like how you can use PCGS coins as well.