• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rules for Pattern and Proof Coins – July 1, 1867
2 2

12 posts in this topic

Here are director Henry Linderman's published rules for the sale of pattern pieces and proof coins. The intention was to place sale of patterns on a similar basis as proofs and eliminate future ad hoc dealing. Can members spot the loop-holes?

Rules – Effective July 1, 1867

1. No coins, nor pattern pieces, shall be struck after the year of their date; and to insure this, the dies shall he rendered unfit for that use.

2. No coins, nor patterns, are to be issued in any but their proper metal.

3. Any experimental or pattern piece can he obtained at the Mint, within the year of its date, but not after. Standing orders for such pieces will be registered, and attended to.

Any patterns that remain on hand, at the end of the year, must be defaced; it is not desirable to make them as common as the proofs of regular coinage. If any sets of regular proofs remain over, they may be sold in the next year, but not later.

4. The price of any pattern coin, in any but precious metal, will be three dollars ($3.00) in currency; if in gold or silver, the value of the metal is to be added. But when a pattern piece is adopted and used in the regular coinage, in the same year, it will then be issued as a proof, at a price near its current value; or if it comes out early in the year, it will be placed in the regular proof set.

The Director reserves the right to send a pattern piece, without charge, to any incorporated Numismatic Society in the United States. In such cases, if the pattern is in gold or silver, the value of the metal will be expected.

5. The price of the regular proof set of gold, will be forty-three dollars ($43.00) in gold; the proof set of silver and copper, three dollars in silver ($3.00), as heretofore. To suit the convenience of many, payment may be made in the currency equivalent.

6. The profits of this whole department are reserved to the Medal Fund, which is a part of the public moneys; and are not to be a perquisite to any person holding a place in the Mint. All such persons are expected to refrain from dealings in this line, or affording aid to friends or dealers outside. If this expectation is counteracted, it will call for serious notice. The rule, however, does not apply to such coins and medals as are not within the scope of this department. And it is, of course, intended that our Engravers shall be compensated for their work on medals that are to be paid for.

HENRY R. LINDERMAN, Director

Edited by RWB

10 hours ago, RWB said:

Here are director Henry Linderman's published rules for the sale of pattern pieces and proof coins. The intention was to place sale of patterns on a similar basis as proofs and eliminate future ad hoc dealing. Can members spot the loop-holes?

Rules – Effective July 1, 1867

6. The profits of this whole department are reserved to the Medal Fund, which is a part of the public moneys; and are not to be a perquisite to any person holding a place in the Mint. All such persons are expected to refrain from dealings in this line, or affording aid to friends or dealers outside. If this expectation is counteracted, it will call for serious notice. 

HENRY R. LINDERMAN, Director

Being woefully ignorant on matters regarding loop-holes, I am going to take an uneducated guess that the unmarked exit door to which you refer resides somewhere within the above excerpt. [If @Hoghead515 is laughing at me, he has every right to.]

#1 Of course no one said anything about destroying punches or hubs.

#4, Of course it is very easy to incorporate a Numismatic Society.

#6  does not apply to private medals. Engraver/workers could still make a personal profit on those.

Conder101 is correct. You win!

#6 is repetition of a long-accepted practice at US and European mints. Government contracts could be offered for bid to sculptors to any qualified artist, including the mint engravers. All work had to be done outside of normal Mint hours and with private equipment.

@RWB  with all due respect, I believe I deserve a Special Mention for narrowing the possibilities to the pertinent 16-2/3%, contained in paragraph #6, containing the line: "all such persons are expected to refrain from dealings in this line, or affording aid to friends and dealers outside."  

While not as earthshaking as the revelations a few years back allowing USSS agents to cavort with prostitutes in Cartagena, Colombia, still, any Rules which provide wiggle room for mischief at the Federal level, deserves scrutiny.  [The CIA, DEA and DoD, among others are exempt due to the fog of war that never lifts.]  :preach:

2 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

@RWB  with all due respect, I believe I deserve a Special Mention for narrowing the possibilities to the pertinent 16-2/3%, contained in paragraph #6, containing the line: "all such persons are expected to refrain from dealings in this line, or affording aid to friends and dealers outside."  

While not as earthshaking as the revelations a few years back allowing USSS agents to cavort with prostitutes in Cartagena, Colombia, still, any Rules which provide wiggle room for mischief at the Federal level, deserves scrutiny.  [The CIA, DEA and DoD, among others are exempt due to the fog of war that never lifts.]  :preach:

OK. You are awarded 1/3 of a winning prize! (Now, to figure out what the prize is for you and Conder101....)

@RWB Not necessary. My acquiescence to Mighty Conder is unequivocal, unconditional and irrevocable.

Thanks for the interesting exercise!  Man, I love this place.

22 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

@RWBThanks for the interesting exercise!  Man, I love this place.

Next come wind sprints and blocking sleds....