• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 d ddo

14 posts in this topic

Photo is too fuzzy to tell, but it likely is not a doubled die coin. However, it does seem to have dandruff.

I see some kind of doubling on the 9 in the date. The picture is to fuzzy to tell what it is. It could be true doubling or it could be strike doubling. Some better pictures are needed to determine which kind it is. 

More than likely it is just strike doubling. I looked under Variety plus and they don't list any ddo for this date. It could even be the way the light is shining on it also giving it that appearance I am seeing when I zoom in the picture. 

Yes it sure is resting on my leg. I had shorts on that day and found this is in circulated change. So Took a quick pic. I have looked it up and studied pictures of doubling but seem to still not be getting exactly what it looks like. Could you please explain in words what exactly to look for?

4 hours ago, Courtney p said:

Yes it sure is resting on my leg. I had shorts on that day and found this is in circulated change. So Took a quick pic. I have looked it up and studied pictures of doubling but seem to still not be getting exactly what it looks like. Could you please explain in words what exactly to look for?

The way I learned was I looked at true doubling coins. You can go to variety vista or NGC has a variety plus section. I trained my eyes. Once you look at several true examples and study them you will eventually learn the difference. Also go back through this forum at all the different post and you will see several examples of strike doubling. After a while they are easy to tell the difference in. Or most of them anyways. If you think you have one you can also look under variety plus or variety vista and compare it to the known examples. It took me a while but if you have lots of patience and are willing to learn you will get to where you can tell the difference pretty quickly. 

26 minutes ago, Courtney p said:

I was also wondering about this coin I found. Is it a fake coin or something else? 

Would be helpful if in the future you would post both sides of the coin and please crop the photos so that we are not looking at lots of background.  :)   The 58-D looks to be a dryer or spooned coin, coins that get caught in a dryer for a long time will have the rim compressed like this from all the constant rolling around.   The same effect can be achieved  by tapping the coin with a spoon on the edges while rolling it around, a trick for the really bored.