• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Gold Eagles Or Old Stuff
1 1

26 posts in this topic

Now that our ASE  BS set is almost done. The wife says we should get some 1 oz. Gold Pieces. She does like that walking liberty lady :whistle:It would be cool to hold a nice gold coin. But gold is so soft I would think to be safer to get a graded slab piece ??, I have never purchased any gold and any advise on this matter or type of coin that would be a better investment than bullion would be a big help. I know everyone says get what you like but all gold is likeable ..LOL 

Here is a good example from a reputable dealer. They may be close enough to you to give them a visit. They have an 1881 half eagle in AU58 graded by NGC for $579 asking price. You can make an offer. Melt is about $461. You can move up to an MS coin for a little more. And as I said you can often find them in slightly lower grade for melt. Just giving you an example in your area. 

https://www.northeastcoin.com/popupcontainer.jsp?include=vi&itemKey=zi18_1000249744

1 hour ago, Woods020 said:

This is exactly how I started in collecting. I started buying bullion, and soon noticed I could buy a pre-1933 gold piece or an old silver of some sort for close to what the modern bullion products are. And there was no question to me as to which one was more fun. 

As far as what to buy, I don’t know that there is a definitive answer. Gold is hot right now so keep that in mind. But if you aren’t as worried about top grades, it is not hard to find say XF to even AU slabbed examples of older gold quarter through double eagle at about melt price (the intrinsic value of the gold). It would be a good way to venture into gold with little downside and see what you like. And you’re essentially paying the bullion price. 

Ya thanks Woods ..I do like the older stuff it could turn out to be a fun project going GOLD PROSPECTING on the Internet and Coin shops . LoL    I had a brain cramp melt price is market price.

Edited by J P Mashoke

2 hours ago, J P Mashoke said:

Ya thanks Woods ..I do like the older stuff it could turn out to be a fun project going GOLD PROSPECTING on the Internet and Coin shops . LoL    I had a brain cramp melt price is market price.

Yes. Melt is the value of the base metal (silver, gold,etc) if you just sold it solely for the metal to melt. 

Common XF/AU "old stuff" or mid MS moderns, (shrug), if buying at prices close to spot they are really about the same, including the odds of a return on your investment. I think. If you're looking to go a few hundred over spot then probably the older stuff would be better but if you're talking fractional then you could probably get some modern 1/10 or 1/4 oz 70's and they might be just as good an investment. So I think you're back to the question, what do you like? ;)

I agree with everyone in that the old stuff would be more fun to collect.

World gold can be purchased at or close to spot. :whistle:

2 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

I like the history that is attached to old gold

Yessir.  I have gold and silver bullion but I find myself always looking at the Civil War Era gold and the Carson City gold coins.  There's something about a Half Eagle that may have been in an 1880 poker game.

6 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

Yessir.  I have gold and silver bullion but I find myself always looking at the Civil War Era gold and the Carson City gold coins.  There's something about a Half Eagle that may have been in an 1880 poker game.

Or sitting for decades in a European safe deposit box…

1 minute ago, Coinbuf said:

Buzz kill.  lol

Yup, that’s my new official profession. Way too much untrue romanticism surrounding gold for my tastes. Keepin’ it real in the heart of the old Confederacy.

Edited by VKurtB

12 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Or sitting for decades in a European safe deposit box…

Way to spoil a man's dreams.   :roflmao:

Maybe part of the Merker's Mine Hoard.  Seems the Germans want some of their gold back they say is 'missing'.

Edited by Alex in PA.
Add information

Thanks Guys, :golfclap:I just needed that little push to get me heading in the right direction. I do like the $50 walking lady also but if I can get 3 smaller older ladies close to spot for the price of one than it is a no brainer in my book. But I guess it depends on the coin also. So there is no real rule of thumb just have fun to hunt for the best all around look and price. Oh my it is just a big circle round and round we go. ;) 

Edited by J P Mashoke

17 hours ago, J P Mashoke said:

My wife picked this out today she liked the color .She also sweet talked it down 15%  I hope she did good.:whistle:

1909 D $5.jpg

1909 Reverse $5.jpg

This was a real nice looking coin so much nicer than I could hope for after looking at so many MS 60,1,2,and 3 on line that are scratched and pitted . The dealer gave us a great deal. Thank you all for your help. 

Edited by J P Mashoke

Suggest that before buying, have a conversation with yourself about why you want to buy gold. Then decide which form of metal best supports your first answer.

1 hour ago, RWB said:

Suggest that before buying, have a conversation with yourself about why you want to buy gold. Then decide which form of metal best supports your first answer.

We did actually RWB and we were just hunting for any gold coins that would be close to the mark just for a investment purpose. But when we looked at this coin I thought for the price maybe one nice coin to keep for the future. I have always wanted this particular Indian head design. This is not a rare piece by no means but I think it will hold it's value. You would know better than me LoL. The other one I like the most is a Saint- Gaudens. She will be next on the list if I can find a deal out there.

Edited by J P Mashoke

2 hours ago, J P Mashoke said:

just hunting for any gold coins that would be close to the mark just for a investment purpose. But when we looked at this coin I thought for the price maybe one nice coin to keep for the future.

Oh i happen to be a big fan of the Indian series. 2 1/2 , 5 and 10 dollar golds.    anywya i was curious as to the "investment" part of your answer.  are you looking at the gold investment coins to out pace and out gain any other investment that you are making or are you just adding as part of your portfolio?   I think that it has been a big misconception that the metals out pace other investment and the only way to make and keep money is with the metals.  dont get me wrong i do have metls as part of my over all portfolio but it isnt more that 15%....With that being said i would go with the old stuff..  moderns are only for bullion stacking in my opionion.......

3 hours ago, JT2 said:

Oh i happen to be a big fan of the Indian series. 2 1/2 , 5 and 10 dollar golds.    anywya i was curious as to the "investment" part of your answer.  are you looking at the gold investment coins to out pace and out gain any other investment that you are making or are you just adding as part of your portfolio?   I think that it has been a big misconception that the metals out pace other investment and the only way to make and keep money is with the metals.  dont get me wrong i do have metls as part of my over all portfolio but it isnt more that 15%....With that being said i would go with the old stuff..  moderns are only for bullion stacking in my opionion.......

Not sure I would call it a portfolio I am still green at this game.  I look at it this way I am a coin fan first. Hopefully a coin will always be worth more than just metal that is why I got the silver eagles. I love the artwork some coins are only base value but some have already gone up 25% 0r 50% I think I will always go for the coin before the bullion . I am loving finding Morgan's at a deal we got a nice bean at the same time. But when I looked at this coin and saw how clean it was and the color was brighter than most the wife and I had seen on line. We were hunting for this particular color if we could find it. The photo I took does not do it justice I will try to get a better shot. This Indian MS 63 is the lowest priced on on the PCGS list but the dealer took $150 off the price so as long as the coin keeps it's head up I should be good. LoL  I will probably get in trouble for using this, But this is a Trueview shot of my coin

MS63 PCGS.jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke

You don’t have buy graded gold , you can buy them raw and put them in air tite capsules buying graded assures you some what it been authenticated ... There’s a lot neat gold coins out there at affordable prices if search around on private dealer website you’ll find gold coins to be priced correctly  my list of gold that I collected over the years 

German 10 Mark , 20 Mark gold 

Venezuela 10 Bolivares Gold 

American gold eagle 

$2.50 quarter eagles 

gold Libertads  

mexcio 2 peso gold 

14 hours ago, J P Mashoke said:

I will probably get in trouble for using this, But this is a Trueview shot of my

shes a beauty one of my favorites...

1 hour ago, JT2 said:

shes a beauty one of my favorites...

Thanks JT2 it is. I really wanted at least one nice looking Graded gold piece. I am no expert for sure but I think it is under graded. LoL I think most collectors would say that. One thing I did see is it has a filled mint mark is that a common thing ? But other than that it is a clean bust and eagle and hardly any field scratches. What is your say on that coin? JT2

S20210604_0003.jpg

S20210604_0004.jpg

S20210604_0005.jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke

27 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

What is your say on that coin? JT2

I think she is strong for the grade and definatly a great deal. I am not for sure but the way these were made incused could tend to lead to these types of punched flaws.  All it would take is a little metal over the die and then your detail of the D would be gone :(  I am sure there are better experts out there that can give you a definative answer.

16 hours ago, JT2 said:

I think she is strong for the grade and definatly a great deal. I am not for sure but the way these were made incused could tend to lead to these types of punched flaws.  All it would take is a little metal over the die and then your detail of the D would be gone :(  I am sure there are better experts out there that can give you a definative answer.

The D mint mark is literally the highest point on the coin. It takes “first damage”.

On 6/5/2021 at 12:49 AM, VKurtB said:

The D mint mark is literally the highest point on the coin. It takes “first damage”.

Thanks VKurtB. That would make sense, I was thinking of sending it back to PCGS and see if I could get a + or 64 upgrade. They are offering that option now. I think because so many people are spending money on getting the Green Bean the TPG companies are taking a hit. But with that filled D I am not sure it will grade up.