• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proper Cleaning of old coins

23 posts in this topic

There ARE some things that can be done, but not before knowing the most detailed facts of the coin in question. It is about 95% likely that nothing will help. But that 5% is pretty neat. 

Edited by VKurtB

The proper way is don't clean them. A very small fraction of people can safely disregard that rule, and they know who they are. None of them have to ask on message boards whether they should do it, nor how to do so.

Oh, and if you think "well, surely there's no way they could tell, right?" boy howdy do I have news for you. It's a key aspect of collecting education and we all confront it regularly. I only know one guy who can clean the coin so no one I know would be able to tell.

And if you think "but it needs to be shiny to be of value!" that's another no, it doesn't. There are mint state coins with no shine at all. The shine is not what you think it is, and does not confer the quality you might imagine it does.

And if you're a little on the fence, don't clean your coins. There is no need to f-bomb them up in haste. You can always f-bomb them up later if you like.

Edited by JKK

1 minute ago, JKK said:

The proper way is don't clean them. A very small fraction of people can safely disregard that rule, and they know who they are. None of them have to ask on message boards whether they should do it, nor how to do so.

Oh, and if you think "well, surely there's no way they could tell, right?" boy howdy do I have news for you. It's a key aspect of collecting education and we all confront it regularly. I know one guy who can clean the coin so no one I know would be able to tell.

And if you think "but it needs to be shiny to be of value!" that's another no, it doesn't. There are mint state coins with no shine at all. The shine is not what you think it is, and does not confer the quality you might imagine it does.

And if you're a little on the fence, don't clean your coins. There is no need to f-bomb them up in haste. You can always f-bomb them up later if you like.

Listen to this man. He speaks truth. 

I’ve seen people use EZ-coin cleaner it’s basically a dip (no rubbing the coin) it mostly works on silver coins ... anyone collect Morgan dollars seen enough “blast white” Morgans they were dipped at one time there no way anyone back in late 1800’s had a way of preserving or storing coins (long term storage) so they can be blast white in 2021 like the day they left the mint sparking new and shiny ! It’s basically impossible ...

NCS will clean a coin before it graded by NGC. Does it hurt value of coin ? Possibly if you don’t know what your doing .. There is another product called MS70 coin cleaner I’ve seen them use a cotton Q-tip to rub the solution on the coin that’s a big NO-NO any type of rubbing will leave hairlines on a coin’s surface..

Also an ugly toning also decreases value of coin it is a 2 way street , take for example you see MS65 peace dollar $250 (blast white) then you see MS65 peace dollar with brown darkish toning $250 which one will you buy ? however I never met anyone who could NOT resist a beautiful rainbow tone coin rainbow coins should never be dipped , bottom line there is a correct way and wrong way to cleaning coins if it’s done correctly it can increase value of the coin I won’t lie about that cause I’ve read up on a lot of coins that gain value after the proper dipping to remove ugly toning notice I said “ugly toning” just to don’t over dip coins or carelessly dip coins hoping for higher grades. 

Edited by Jason Abshier

On 5/25/2021 at 8:27 PM, JKK said:

Oh, and if you think "well, surely there's no way they could tell, right?" boy howdy do I have news for you. It's a key aspect of collecting education and we all confront it regularly. I only know one guy who can clean the coin so no one I know would be able to tell.

This.  This right here.  This is the only advice to listen to on this topic.  When I worked at the brick and mortar coin shop, I cannot tell you how many otherwise desirable coins I saw ruined by cleaning attempts.  If you have to ask about this topic, definitely don't attempt to clean any coins.

Edited by Mohawk

On 9/3/2021 at 7:47 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Here’s a coin that just sold for million dollars plus. I find it ugly myself but it’s graded very high. I love good toning but find this one just. ugh!  Different strokes 

E601C906-3707-4EC7-A99A-B5CE80306D77.jpeg

Seriously.....ugh!!! That is one ugly Morgan!!  But I guess it's a million dollars worth of ugly to someone. That coin is a perfect example of why to buy the coin and not the holder.

Edited by Mohawk

On 9/3/2021 at 4:50 PM, Mohawk said:

Seriously.....ugh!!! That is one ugly Morgan!!  But I guess it's a million dollars worth of ugly to someone. That coin is a perfect example of why to buy the coin and not the holder.

Strict Limit--5 Coins Per Caller!

On 9/3/2021 at 9:55 PM, JKK said:

Strict Limit--5 Coins Per Caller!

And at only a million dollars a coin for one of the ugliest Morgan Dollars I have ever seen, you can't lose!!

On 9/3/2021 at 6:47 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Here’s a coin that just sold for million dollars plus. I find it ugly myself but it’s graded very high. I love good toning but find this one just. ugh!  Different strokes 

E601C906-3707-4EC7-A99A-B5CE80306D77.jpeg

So it go for 1 mil just cause it has Jack Lee on the holder? Cause thats one ugly coin. 

On 9/4/2021 at 1:46 PM, JAnsley said:

So it go for 1 mil just cause it has Jack Lee on the holder? Cause thats one ugly coin. 

And don't forget the little green sticker that says CAC on it.......I'm sure that played its part as well.

On 9/4/2021 at 12:46 PM, JAnsley said:

It went for that because it’s the top pop (1/1) for the key date in the series. There is 1 MS66 from NGC and for PCGS the next closest are 5 MS65. So this is 1/1 with little even close. 

On 9/4/2021 at 1:58 PM, Woods020 said:

It went for that because it’s the top pop (1/1) for the key date in the series. There is 1 MS66 from NGC and for PCGS the next closest are 5 MS65. So this is 1/1 with little even close. 

All of those things are undoubtedly true.  But it's still an absolutely hideous coin, in my humble opinion.

On 9/4/2021 at 12:58 PM, Woods020 said:

Ok im not a big morgan fan really. Dont get me wrong i have a few and there nice coins im just not into em like i'am cents. Therefore i didnt know this was a key rare coin in high grades. Thank you for the info though now when im bidding at auctions i know something else to be on the look out for is 1893s worthy of highest grades. Not likely to come across one but stranger s#;+ has happened. 

On 9/4/2021 at 1:21 PM, Mohawk said:

All of those things are undoubtedly true.  But it's still an absolutely hideous coin, in my humble opinion.

No argument here. I would have had to have someone restrain me from trying to dip that one. But it’s proof positive the best is probably au naturale

On 9/4/2021 at 1:22 PM, JAnsley said:

Ok im not a big morgan fan really. Dont get me wrong i have a few and there nice coins im just not into em like i'am cents. Therefore i didnt know this was a key rare coin in high grades. Thank you for the info though now when im bidding at auctions i know something else to be on the look out for is 1893s worthy of highest grades. Not likely to come across one but stranger s#;+ has happened. 

You will pay up for them. I recently acquired a VG-10 1893-S in a collection I purchased and it’s a $3000-$3200 coin.   It’s the show stopper for some Morgan guys. 

On 9/4/2021 at 1:27 PM, Woods020 said:

You will pay up for them. I recently acquired a VG-10 1893-S in a collection I purchased and it’s a $3000-$3200 coin.   It’s the show stopper for some Morgan guys. 

I've got an 1882-O and a 1884-p. Had a 1878-cc i recently sold and later found out its a counterfeit. Bought from coin dealer in houston to resell got it cheap now i know why. But was in a sealed holder i never removed it didn't think i needed to. Well thats first thing the guy i sold it to did and it was 2g lite. So im way outta pocket on that one.So yeah im not a morgan fan. The two from the 80s i bought just to have the silver to put up but really nice coins. All the same

I would like to weigh in on this coin cleaning thing.  My opinion is a beginner or inexperienced collector should never "clean" any coin.  Cleaning will alter the original surfaces, and usually is done to make the coin appear as a higher grade, or with better eye appeal, to deceive someone out of their money.  That is wrong.  There is a type of cleaning that I do on occasion as a type of maintenance on the coin.  When I get an old, original copper coin, like a large cent, that has that greasy, crud built up in the protected areas of the coin from centuries of handling, I will usually try to clean it off in a gentle, non-altering way.  I consider this to be "conservation" of a coin, which reveals the true color and preserves it from corrosion and possible damage in the future.  I use a clean acetone soaking, and careful tooth picking to loosen any crud in the crevices and to gently wash it away.  The acetone removes oils from the surfaces and evaporates quickly leaving the coin looking dry and vulnerable.  I will then apply a drop of mineral oil to my fore finger and thumb, rub them together to form a thin film, then dab the coin surface on both sides until the coin is thoroughly coated in a thin coat of oil.  Then I use a soft camel hair brush to even things out.  I don't scrub, I just lightly use the very ends of the bristles to gently lighten and even up the oil on the surfaces.  I then will store these coins in a soft cotton sleeve in a paper envelope.  Occasionally, when viewing my coins, I will run into a coin that has begun to gunk up again, and I will give it a light oiling and brushing again to restore the protection, and the look.  I also realize that after I do this to my coins, they will forever be considered to be "CLEANED" by third party graders as well as most collectors.  That doesn't change my opinion of value, and if you can't agree with the value I assign to my coins, well, you won't be able to buy them from me.  

On 9/7/2021 at 4:37 PM, dleonard-3 said:

I would like to weigh in on this coin cleaning thing.  My opinion is a beginner or inexperienced collector should never "clean" any coin.  Cleaning will alter the original surfaces, and usually is done to make the coin appear as a higher grade, or with better eye appeal, to deceive someone out of their money.  That is wrong.  There is a type of cleaning that I do on occasion as a type of maintenance on the coin.  When I get an old, original copper coin, like a large cent, that has that greasy, crud built up in the protected areas of the coin from centuries of handling, I will usually try to clean it off in a gentle, non-altering way.  I consider this to be "conservation" of a coin, which reveals the true color and preserves it from corrosion and possible damage in the future.  I use a clean acetone soaking, and careful tooth picking to loosen any crud in the crevices and to gently wash it away.  The acetone removes oils from the surfaces and evaporates quickly leaving the coin looking dry and vulnerable.  I will then apply a drop of mineral oil to my fore finger and thumb, rub them together to form a thin film, then dab the coin surface on both sides until the coin is thoroughly coated in a thin coat of oil.  Then I use a soft camel hair brush to even things out.  I don't scrub, I just lightly use the very ends of the bristles to gently lighten and even up the oil on the surfaces.  I then will store these coins in a soft cotton sleeve in a paper envelope.  Occasionally, when viewing my coins, I will run into a coin that has begun to gunk up again, and I will give it a light oiling and brushing again to restore the protection, and the look.  I also realize that after I do this to my coins, they will forever be considered to be "CLEANED" by third party graders as well as most collectors.  That doesn't change my opinion of value, and if you can't agree with the value I assign to my coins, well, you won't be able to buy them from me.  

But what you describe here is actually encouraged by the Early American Coppers Collectors. Yes, they are at a “cold war” with the TPGS’s over it. EVERY large cent I own is in one of those magnificent soft cotton sleeves, and by appearance only, some seem to be lightly oiled. That doesn’t bug me even a little bit. It keeps further corrosion at bay.

Now I’m no Colonel Ellsworth when it comes to large cents, but I know what appeals to me, and I also know tastes change over time.

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/7/2021 at 5:37 PM, dleonard-3 said:

This is somewhat similar with what I collect.  Almost every ancient coin still in existence has been cleaned at least once at some point in its long life.  This is a necessity as most of them have been dug out of the ground after being buried for a thousand years or more.  So, cleaning is just part of the territory with ancients.  I think that there isn't one single answer for the whole cleaning issue for all areas of numismatics.  I still agree with Jonathan that a newbie should never, ever attempt such a thing but with some coins, a cleaning can be a necessary thing if done by someone who knows that they're doing.