• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coins no one mentions
2 2

14 posts in this topic

I have a 1982 zinc penny that has two foreheads on Lincoln's face and you can see two eyes. I want to grade this coin as, it should get a good price for condition and the type it is. I am concerned they will say I faked this but, looking at the image, you can see the surface coating is still intact. I have been holding on to this for a long time wondering should I spend the money.

split faced1982.jpg

split face.jpg

split face 3.jpg

Welcome to the NGC Forum

It can only be one of two things, an error or damage.

The only way I can think that it would be an error is with a Struck Through.

If it was damage, there would be some sign of displaced metal.

Interested to see what others have to say but I don't think it would be worth spending the money to get certified.

I have to agree that it may be some sort of pmd. I would think that the hair and rest of the face would be doubled also if struck like that. 

It looks like something curved forced the metal back into his face his check bone and forehead looks extra high.

3 hours ago, Modwriter said:

If it grades at PO1, I would buy it for my lowball registry.

[The high-tech encapsulation would cost many more times than the face value of the coin you seek to showcase.]