• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

American Silver Eagles
1 1

46 posts in this topic

I noticed that some Silver Eagles have no mint mark yet the label might say, "minted at the San Francisco mint" or the West Point mint.  Are these bullion coins? 

Thank you,

Greig

1 hour ago, Coinbuf said:

All ASE's are bullion coins.

Personally I don't consider Proof ASE's as bullion coins. Hard for me to think of my 2019-S Enhanced Reverse Proof 70 ASE and my many other Proof ASE's as bullion coins.

These are your average bullion coins but they came from a monster box with a particular serial # saying which mint they came from.

These days in the silver eagle game, you are buying labels. You can buy that same $25 bullion coin slabbed from $35 to $300. Just depends on what the label has on it. Like it or not, that is the reality.

Just now, Lem E said:

These days in the silver eagle game, you are buying labels. You can buy that same $25 bullion coin slabbed from $35 to $300. Just depends on what the label has on it. Like it or not, that is the reality.

I agree. And the first release or early release. Its still the same coin as the rest of its same grade. 

Yep, Morgans were circulated dollars that went into the public, just as were peace dollars, seated dollar, Ikes, etc..... Silver eagles were never minted for circulation, only bullion collectible's. 

2 hours ago, BigGoron1981 said:

I have a 2001 ASE proof that appears to be unique. The coin has a counterpunch. It is punched by the Western Numismatic Reserve Cleavland

Has anyone ever come accross one of these? Anyone know about it?

I have seen a few other coins with this stamp. This was a club founded in 1921 by 6 members. I would say by the date, it is an anniversary commemorative for the club. I have seen some decent prices on those stamped coins.There is definitely some numismatic history there. I suggest you google it. Can we see a pic?

10 hours ago, Lem E said:

I have seen a few other coins with this stamp. This was a club founded in 1921 by 6 members. I would say by the date, it is an anniversary commemorative for the club. I have seen some decent prices on those stamped coins.There is definitely some numismatic history there. I suggest you google it. Can we see a pic?

REPLY:  I uploaded a couple of screenshots i have. Im not home to take a fresh pic. Anyway its a nice sharp stamp. I just wonder why a counterstamp from a club that existed in 1921 would end up on a 2001 silver eagle?

Screenshot_20210106-080625_eBay.thumb.jpg.baefc4dfb7423ceb9961acfec2e19b98.jpg

Screenshot_20210106-080533_eBay.jpg

9 hours ago, JT2 said:

Oh boy!!!  don't get me started on this!!!  ALL of these FDOI, Early Release, First Strikes, Centennial set, anniversary set..etc..  Is a bunch of !  .  These have been invented by some genius salesperson created by television hucksters and the TPGs went along with it.  It is just a bunch of garbage and ruining the hobby for people just starting out thinking that they have something special. Moreover the TPGs are giving them a separate category in their price guides.  WHY!!!  they aren't special they are the same as the regular issue.  Also just because you have s special label that you paid extra for DOES NOT MEAN that that coin is any more valuable....LABELS do not make the price of a coin.  This garbage has gone far enough.   STOP THE INSANITY!! with these labels

Birthday set. Happy birthday set. Congratulations sets. Lol. The list goes on dont it. My goodness. Then look on Ebay trying to find a certain coin and the only one you can find of it says happy birthday set or whatever on it. Lol. Drives me crazy. I think your right. A used car salesman got a job at the mint or something 

24 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

I like it, very nice!

Dang it! I told myself I was done with ASE's but now. hm

Be great to find something like that to put in the collection wouldn't it. Im wanting one also. 

3 hours ago, BigGoron1981 said:

Screenshot_20210106-080625_eBay.thumb.jpg.baefc4dfb7423ceb9961acfec2e19b98.jpg

Screenshot_20210106-080533_eBay.jpg

I did a little more digging on this club and it has some pretty prominent names in the coin community attached to it. I would definitely do some research on it. There are other denominations that are stamped and from what I see, they aren’t the cheapest things around. Good luck Mike and Hoghead finding some. Does it have a grade?

10 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

Be great to find something like that to put in the collection wouldn't it. Im wanting one also. 

I went straight to searching for one, struck out. I have a feeling I wouldn't be willing to pony up for it though.

@BigGoron1981 is the reverse counterstamped?

7 minutes ago, Lem E said:

I did a little more digging on this club and it has some pretty prominent names in the coin community attached to it. I would definitely do some research on it. There are other denominations that are stamped and from what I see, they aren’t the cheapest things around. Good luck Mike and Hoghead finding some. Does it have a grade?

Been looking.

The WRNC also commissioned at least one medal probably more. In my searching I've seen a few other counterstamped pieces from the WRNC, sometimes both sides of the piece are counterstamped, sometimes not.

I was wondering if it straight graded or not as well, my guess is yes.