• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you or Are you...
1 1

Do you or Are you ...  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Do you Participate in the NGC registry?

• Yes
    • No
    • Planning on it
  2. 2. Are you a member of the ANA or other similar organization?

• Yes
    • No
    • Planning on it
  3. 3. Are you a member of a coin club?

• Yes
    • No
    • Planning on it
  4. 4. Do you participate in another registry?

• Yes
    • No
  5. 5. Are you a dealer or collector?

• Dealer
    • Collector

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/30/2020 at 04:10 AM

39 posts in this topic

I like the NGC registry the best, as it allows me to complete my set, because I buy the coin and not the plastic.  I joined the PCGS registry just for the heck of it, although I know I will never complete it.  I used to be a member of the ANA but I am not currently.  I will probably re-join sometime down the road.  I used to be active in a club but I did it more to socialize than to buy and sell.  I am primarily a collector but I do a lot of vest-pocket dealing at shows and what not.  

6 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

Interesting group of questions, are you hoping to learn something specific from the answers?

I am attempting to confirm (or refute) my suspicions about the members who are active on the forum. I am hoping to draw in some of the infrequent posters to skew the results a bit (and possibly surprise me). 

9 hours ago, Cat Bath said:

ATS I believe the ratio of dealers/collectors is quite high.

I've come to suspect that it drives much of the discourse there.

Yes this is very true.

5 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

Yes this is very true.

On CoinTalk, there are several members who are dealers. 

Honestly, they often have some of the best, most informative threads and posts. 

Even in it's Heyday several years ago, NGC never had many active dealer-members. There are a couple of dealers/professionals who post here still, however. 

I doubt it would ever happen, but I think a separate third-party "registry broker" would work - a corporate entity independent of both PCGS and NGC.  That way, it could permit coins from all services to be entered (or possibly even non-certified coins).  That would make the whole process fair and square - heck, I might even participate in something like that.

On 9/8/2020 at 12:49 AM, Cat Bath said:

ATS I believe the ratio of dealers/collectors is quite high.

I've come to suspect that it drives much of the discourse there.

Possibly, but it only adds variety to the discussions.  One should know, by the title, which thread may, or may not be, of interest.  The reason for the absence of flavor here, on this forum, is structure.  There are many threads pertaining to US coins yet only two are up front for your choice.  Multiple choices often bring multiple readers.

7 hours ago, James_OldeTowne said:

I doubt it would ever happen, but I think a separate third-party "registry broker" would work - a corporate entity independent of both PCGS and NGC.  That way, it could permit coins from all services to be entered (or possibly even non-certified coins).  That would make the whole process fair and square - heck, I might even participate in something like that.

I was hoping the rumoured upcoming ANA registry would be that third-party, impartial, more open registry. 

Unfortunately, it sounds like its just going to be a copy-paste port of the NGC registry. 

15 minutes ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

I was hoping the rumoured upcoming ANA registry would be that third-party, impartial, more open registry. 

Unfortunately, it sounds like its just going to be a copy-paste port of the NGC registry. 

I think that many collectors were hoping that the ANA or some entity to create a registry that is about coins more than plastic case, so far it does seem that the ANA registry will not be filling that role from what we have heard so far.   Of course there are some collectors that are very satisfied and prefer to restrict themselves to the registry ATS, I actually am curious if the ANA registry will attract any of the bigger PCGS only collectors or not. 

3 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

I think that many collectors were hoping that the ANA or some entity to create a registry that is about coins more than plastic case, so far it does seem that the ANA registry will not be filling that role from what we have heard so far.   Of course there are some collectors that are very satisfied and prefer to restrict themselves to the registry ATS, I actually am curious if the ANA registry will attract any of the bigger PCGS only collectors or not. 

I don’t know. Do we yet know whether the ANA registry is TPGS agnostic? I can think of reasons to both include and not include ATS.

On 9/8/2020 at 1:14 AM, Walkerfan said:

I like the NGC registry the best, as it allows me to complete my set, because I buy the coin and not the plastic.  I joined the PCGS registry just for the heck of it, although I know I will never complete it.  I used to be a member of the ANA but I am not currently.  I will probably re-join sometime down the road.  I used to be active in a club but I did it more to socialize than to buy and sell.  I am primarily a collector but I do a lot of vest-pocket dealing at shows and what not.  

ANA membership was free a few months ago, not sure if it still is though.  

I just want a library of coins to look for each particular type/date/mint & don't care who does it or even if they are graded.

CoinFacts was my favorite resource and it went away. I'm still angry at a couple people over that one.

A great time for the ANA to step in.

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

I don’t know. Do we yet know whether the ANA registry is TPGS agnostic? I can think of reasons to both include and not include ATS.

Well NGC has already said that the ANA will start out as a copy of the NGC registry, while not expressly stated I feel confident that this is the reason that PCGS coins were allowed back into the US sets again just less than a year ago.  So it seems clear that if those on the PCGS registry want to they can add those all PCGS sets to the new ANA registry once it is officially open, what is still unclear is what if any changes will take place to the registry here.  As I recall there are some restrictions on what a set (or its owner) needs to do to qualify for the ANA registry awards that are different than for the awards here.

25 minutes ago, Cat Bath said:

I just want a library of coins to look for each particular type/date/mint & don't care who does it or even if they are graded.

CoinFacts was my favorite resource and it went away. I'm still angry at a couple people over that one.

A great time for the ANA to step in.

The purge of coinfacts was a real travesty, all because PCGS was being embarrassed due to the obvious and blatant gradeflation that was/is happening with the grading at PCGS.

Edited by Coinbuf

8 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

The purge of coinfacts was a real travesty, all because PCGS was being embarrassed due to the obvious and blatant gradeflation that was/is happening with the grading at PCGS.

BINGO!

11 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

Well NGC has already said that the ANA will start out as a copy of the NGC registry, while not expressly stated I feel confident that this is the reason that PCGS coins were allowed back into the US sets again just less than a year ago.  So it seems clear that if those on the PCGS registry want to they can add those all PCGS sets to the new ANA registry once it is officially open, what is still unclear is what if any changes will take place to the registry here.  As I recall there are some restrictions on what a set (or its owner) needs to do to qualify for the ANA registry awards that are different than for the awards here.

Maybe this will show how much of an ANA backer I am, @Coinbuf. I see you have at least dabbled in registries. I never have. But the ANA's involvement, even if initially only as a clone, has gotten me considering it mightily.

Interesting results so fa:

1) NGC registry members are catching up to the non-members 45% compared to 55% and gaining ground.

2) about 2/3rds of us are ANA members

3) almost 70% are not affiliated with a club

4) about 2/3rds are not members of another registry as opposed to 1/3rd that are.

5) the vast majority of us are collectors and not a dealer (all, but one so far) 

1 hour ago, Zebo said:

4) about 2/3rds are not members of another registry as opposed to 1/3rd that are.

That surprises me.

What would the disparity be attributed to, brand loyalty? People got upset for some reason and completely jumped ship from a registry? Just how the slabs fell? No one from ATS visits here so they haven't seen the poll?

I don't think it's because NGC now accepts PCGS U.S. coins. Only thing that comes to mind is NGC has larger, more inclusive world registry categories. 

Have you tried a similar poll ATS?

I only have an NGC registry. I pretty much have only looked at NGC coins when it comes to adding to them. I have a few PCGS and was grand-fathered in when NGC decided to omit PCGS coins a while back, so it never affected me. I guess it's a brand loyalty for me. I can find very nice coins, and have, in NGC slabs and also get them a little cheaper without having to follow the kool-aid mentality. Those that think PCGS is superior to NGC are missing out on some very nice coins. And I'm not knocking PCGS as the few I have are very nice coins also. It would be nice if we were able to add our registries to our sig lines like before the software update. If I go to my account, I can see the registries in my sig line but they have never showed after my posts since the update. 

Edited by bsshog40

20 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

It would be nice if we were able to add our registries to our sig lines like before the software update. If I go to my account, I can see the registries in my sig line but they have never showed after my posts since the update. 

Just Bob advised how to add your sig line using a PC and not a tablet or phone. It works. 

35 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

That surprises me.

What would the disparity be attributed to, brand loyalty? People got upset for some reason and completely jumped ship from a registry? Just how the slabs fell? No one from ATS visits here so they haven't seen the poll?

I don't think it's because NGC now accepts PCGS U.S. coins. Only thing that comes to mind is NGC has larger, more inclusive world registry categories. 

What disparity? Those who use the registry as opposed those who do not? If so, I believe many registry users left after the decision not to allow PCGS coins in the NGC registry. A few are back, but I know others are not. I believe that this skewed the results and it would have reflected at least a 50-50 split if not he majority. Many here do not play in the registeries for many different reasons. Personal preference.

I've been considering running the same poll ATS. I believe the results would be different. Especially the dealer/collector question. The ANA and coin club question results  might be similar to our poll. 

26 minutes ago, Zebo said:

Just Bob advised how to add your sig line using a PC and not a tablet or phone. It works. 

I'm on my PC. I can go to my account settings and see my registries in my sig line. They just don't seem to show when I post. Maybe I need to delete them and re-do the links? On another note, I don't see sig lines under anyone that has posted here. 

Dummy me, I just noticed the "See Signatures" button. I thought it was on. It wasn't. All this time I thought it was the software. :tonofbricks:

Edited by bsshog40

34 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

I only have an NGC registry. I pretty much have only looked at NGC coins when it comes to adding to them. I have a few PCGS and was grand-fathered in when NGC decided to omit PCGS coins a while back, so it never affected me. I guess it's a brand loyalty for me. I can find very nice coins, and have, in NGC slabs and also get them a little cheaper without having to follow the kool-aid mentality. Those that think PCGS is superior to NGC are missing out on some very nice coins. And I'm not knocking PCGS as the few I have are very nice coins also. It would be nice if we were able to add our registries to our sig lines like before the software update. If I go to my account, I can see the registries in my sig line but they have never showed after my posts since the update. 

I was having the same issue but it turns out that its a simple fix, a setting that must have been automatically set to off at some point, @Just Bob pointed me to what I needed to change and now I can see mine and others sig lines.

50 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

That surprises me.

Not really surprising as the other registry only allows their slabs so I would guess that most of the NGC members that do use the registry here do so because they like to buy the coin not just the holder and would not participate there as their NGC coins would be useless.  A poll ATS I suspect would give you the exact opposite result as quite a few of the members that use the PCGS registry tend to buy PCGS graded coins exclusively.  I use both and have sets on both registries but the one ATS is more of a backup inventory as I have no way to ever be in the running for a top set here and am buried by the monster sets (just Hanson alone is enough to put me in 10th or lower) ATS.

3 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Bobby go to your profile then settings and then sig lines, you will see a slider button, move it to the right to see all sig lines.

Yea, I found it. Lol Thanks! I thought it was on all this time. Lol

1 minute ago, bsshog40 said:

Yea, I found it. Lol Thanks! I thought it was on all this time. Lol

Lol I just thought the feature had been deleted with the software change and never even looked for until Just Bob showed me, duh.  doh!