• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Making an investment?
2 2

152 posts in this topic

On 11/3/2022 at 10:11 PM, EagleRJO said:

I put excess cash into I-Series bonds at 9.62%

Excellent. But you have to park money for 5 years or suffer a penalty. 

On 11/3/2022 at 11:58 PM, VKurtB said:

Excellent. But you have to park money for 5 years or suffer a penalty. 

You can cash in the I-Series after 12 months and only lose the prior 3 months interest if before 5 years.

On 11/3/2022 at 10:13 PM, VKurtB said:

I offer you … the United States dollar. Beating every major currency and metals too. Cash is quite literally King. Just think about what has gone on since March. Federal Reserve Notes (and circulating coins) are beating the stuffing out of gold and silver. And most equities and bonds. Apple? Not s’much. 

Cash is King, but Bonds have been trash.  Worst year in the last 100 years for the U.S. bond market, if not ever (Civil War ?).

The Lehman Aggregate ETF (AGG) is down 17% YTD.  That's unheard of for bonds.

All the markets (stocks, bonds, precious metals) are trash right now, which is why I went with the I-Series for some extra cash I had in a statement account which was essentially loosing money due to high inflation.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 11/4/2022 at 2:06 AM, EagleRJO said:

etals) are trash right now, which is why I went with the I-Series.

dude you are right on the money there.. with most of the market being down anywhere form 16 - 22 %  I-bonds are paying off at 10 %...  Someone has been doing their homework.... :) 

.....and what's the maturity of those I bonds?  Most of us will not live that long!...    but might be great for the younger generation. 

On 11/4/2022 at 2:06 AM, EagleRJO said:

All the markets (stocks, bonds, precious metals) are trash right now, which is why I went with the I-Series.

Setting up for a great investment opportunity.  It's at least OK/Good right now.

On 11/4/2022 at 6:26 AM, JT2 said:

dude you are right on the money there.. with most of the market being down anywhere form 16 - 22 %  I-bonds are paying off at 10 %...  Someone has been doing their homework.... :) 

I-bonds are limited to $10,000 a year per person.  No more than a niche investment for lots of investors.

On 11/4/2022 at 8:47 AM, tj96 said:

.....and what's the maturity of those I bonds?  Most of us will not live that long!...    but might be great for the younger generation. 

The I-Series bonds don't have a classic "maturity" like the older paper savings bonds (e.g. doubles or reaches face value in 20 yrs). They are issued for whatever amount you choose (up to $15k) and earn interest for the 30 yr term or maximum life of the bonds.

You can get up to $10k outright (electronic) and another $5k through returns (paper) per year. I look at it as a way to park excess cash and at least earn a little above the inflation rate (i.e. the total rate for I-Series is a fixed rate set when you buy them plus a variable inflation rate).

Edited by EagleRJO

An early Sunday morning scenario....

EC:  Hello?

QA: Good morning, sir. Q here.  I am prepared to make you a very attractive offer for that '33 SG.

EC:  [Did you say] Q, as in QA?  The Rooster guy?

QA:  TWENTY MILLION.

EC:   To my knowledge, not that I follow such tawdry things, the Powerball jackpot was $1.5 billion.

QA:  That's right.

EC:   Well then... it seems to me you can do a whole  lot better than that.

🐓 :  Not for nothin' Q, but that's one  smart  cookie!

On 11/4/2022 at 10:32 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

An early Sunday morning scenario....

EC:  Hello?

QA: Good morning, sir. Q here.  I am prepared to make you a very attractive offer for that '33 SG.

EC:  [Did you say] Q, as in QA?  The Rooster guy?

QA:  TWENTY MILLION.

EC:   To my knowledge, not that I follow such tawdry things, the Powerball jackpot was $1.5 billion.

QA:  That's right.

EC:   Well then... it seems to me you can do a whole  lot better than that.

🐓 :  Not for nothin' Q, but that's one  smart  cookie!

[Duck] :kidaround:

straightjacket_.jpg

On 11/4/2022 at 9:12 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I-bonds are limited to $10,000 a year per person.  No more than a niche investment for lots of investors.

so true but it adds to a balance portfolio when you mix in all of your asset classes.  with metals. property. and stocks... helps to hedge against those losses

On 11/4/2022 at 11:51 AM, EagleRJO said:

I would consider those an asset (but usually not an "investment

SO tru the only investment coins are ... will be the profit the heirs get.................hahahahaha  because i ain't (Alabama word) selling any of my children!

On 11/4/2022 at 11:51 AM, EagleRJO said:

@JT2you forgot coins! :grin:

I would consider those an asset (but usually not an "investment")

It is what the gray lady (The New York Times) terms, "an alternative asset class."

On 11/4/2022 at 3:51 PM, EagleRJO said:

Thay are clueless at the NYT. What does the WSJ say?

I have no idea what the WSJ says. Back to the Times... An "alternative asset class" and I quote, is "an investment that isn't in stocks or bonds." (The term arose in an article devoted to the divestment of Kanye West's sneakers, shoes, etc., from various name brands he had formerly been under contract with.)

I don't think bullion bars and coins would be an alternative asset class. Just an "asset class" which I think is how an article from the WSJ classified them, and why I asked. But I agree some sneakers as well as a rare box of cornflakes could be  an "alternative asset class". 😜 

On 11/5/2022 at 10:21 PM, EagleRJO said:

I don't think bullion bars and coins would be an alternative asset class.

"Alternative asset class" would refer to anything other than traditional asset classes like stocks, bonds, cash/MMFs, precious metals, currencies, etc.

So....baseball cards, NFTs, art, Kanye West , etc. etc. xD

I would put precious metals in a traditional asset class as there are ETF's for those you can purchase on the open market, but not for sneakers,, etc.

On 11/2/2022 at 9:59 AM, J P M said:

Yes, I keep searching yard sales and antique stores for for that long lost Rooster QA needs............No luck 

On 11/2/2022 at 1:00 PM, EagleRJO said:

@Quintus Arriuswhich long-lost Rooster are you missing? I will keep my eyes open at yard sales and antique stores also.

@Quintus Arriusyou were confused by my post which was in responce to JPM's post above about a missing Rooster.

So, which Rooster is long lost for you?

Edited by EagleRJO

On 11/6/2022 at 9:33 AM, EagleRJO said:

@Quintus Arrius

So, which Rooster is long lost for you?

To my knowledge, I am not missing any F20FGRs

[I know this is a trick post; I know I've been punked by an able successor to Ashton Kutcher, but I've tread thru all applicable threads. I have searched for "missing rooster"...  Nothing.]

Perhaps if you would direct me to the pertinent post.

I believe we will have to defer to @J P Mas it was his post quoted above which led me to believe that there was a "long lost Rooster QA needs". However, JP has been kown for pulling the proverbial leg of some occasional, so I believe we will need a clarification from JP.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 11/6/2022 at 7:44 PM, EagleRJO said:

I believe we will have to defer to @J P Mas it was his post quoted above which led me to believe that there was a "long lost Rooster QA needs". However, JP has been kown for pulling the proverbial leg of some occasional, so I believe we will need a clarification from JP.

I was under the impression that Before QA left last year he had been waiting for one to come to the USA to finish his collection. I guess he has it now. hm

On 11/6/2022 at 7:56 PM, J P M said:

I was under the impression that Before QA left last year he had been waiting for one to come to the USA to finish his collection. I guess he has it now. hm

Not sure which one that might have been but both Registry Sets, here and "over there" are complete. The resumption of upgrading is Ricky's call to make.  :makepoint:  doh!  :roflmao: