• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PCGS CAC Coin Registry

57 posts in this topic

No. There are so many wrong-headed things with this but, No.

I don't own a single CAC coin. I don't plan to for a while, if ever. I've always thought that service only made sense with rare, high end coins where one grade up or down made a difference of hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars in value. That's not the part of the pool I'm in.

I can't speak for over there, but the community over here is small enough already without marginalizing the few people that you do have. The emphasis should be on building community, bringing more people in, and expanding the hobby and collector base. Not drawing smaller and smaller circles that let fewer and fewer people in.

I don't care for the concept and I will not participate in it over there.  

I'm guessing that I only have around 20 coins that are CAC certified....mostly, because the others have never been to the bean factory.

Of those 20....only about 3 are NGC graded.  So NO, I don't think it's a good idea....over there and ESPECIALLY here.  

" Ooooo...a CAC thread started by a moderator. This is the quickest way to getting banned! "

That comment over there cracked me up. You have to watch out when anything gets started by that Brett guy. On topic, I agree that it would be a mistake for our hosts here to follow in those footsteps.

3 hours ago, Mk123 said:

I'm so glad I got out of collecting US coins and am having fun collecting world coins........don't need to worry about CAC stickers!!

You wouldn’t need to worry about them if you were still collecting U.S. coins, either. No one can make you buy a CAC certified coin or submit a non-CAC coin to CAC.

4 hours ago, Mk123 said:

I'm so glad I got out of collecting US coins and am having fun collecting world coins........don't need to worry about CAC stickers!!

You only have to worry about the Wings stickers (just joking). I'd be against such a thing here.

16 minutes ago, Zebo said:

You only have to worry about the Wings stickers (just joking). I'd be against such a thing here.

So... What are the stupid WINGS stickers I kee seeing on ebay?

No. Just, no. This is the stupidest idea I've heard all day (granted, I only woke up 10 minutes ago). 

16 minutes ago, Revenant said:

It's like CAC for foreign coins. 

1 hour ago, Revenant said:

Basically the same as CAC only for world coins. I have a couple, but I bought them because of the coin not the sticker.

http://wingscoins.com

Edited by Zebo

1 hour ago, Zebo said:

Basically the same as CAC only for world coins. I have a couple, but I bought them because of the coin not the sticker.

http://wingscoins.com

I should add that Wings called it right. Even though I bought the coins for their appearance and the sticker did not have any role in making up my mind - they are very nice examples and Wings recognized the quality as well. Just don't think I'd pay for a second opinion unless maybe it was a very high value coin.

I personally am in favor of a CAC registry run by CAC that allows all the coins that have been stickered from both services, like the way it used to be with the registry here.  That would have been a good thing for the hobby, these new sets that again only include one brand just further separate collectors and doesn't add to the hobby.  Having said that I did have a bit of fun starting five of these sets and for at least a brief moment I had the number one set on the PCGS registry, something I'll never be able to say again.  Once I'm out of the first place; which took only a couple of hours for one set; I'll delete the sets as I have no plans to attempt to sticker my entire collection, while I enjoy my coins I also know that many would not sticker.

I'm quite sure that the new CAC sets will be quite popular as many whales ats will see this as a way to further show off how big their wallets are (insert personal appendage here instead if you like) and feel good that they have further separated themselves from the dreck collectors like myself.  I suppose that NGC could follow suite and start CAC sets here also but again I see little benefit as those would also just be one brand as it is ats.

5 hours ago, Zebo said:

I should add that Wings called it right. Even though I bought the coins for their appearance and the sticker did not have any role in making up my mind - they are very nice examples and Wings recognized the quality as well. Just don't think I'd pay for a second opinion unless maybe it was a very high value coin.

I recently bought a coin in my series with a Wings sticker from eBay which I returned.  The sticker didn't influence my decision but if this is typical of what they consider premium quality, not impressed.  The coin is much better than normally seen (since most are awful) but not for the assigned grade.

6 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

Since you don't know what they are, it sounds quite close-minded to refer to them as "stupid".

Maybe so, but I think they're shiny eye-sores that only impair the presentation of the coin - I hold the same opinion of the CAC stickers. They're not much better than scratches on the slab IMO. So, regardless of what they signify, I tend to dislike their presence. "Stupid" is mostly an indication of that dislike. I guess I should go with "ugly" instead.

I honestly like them even less now that I know.

I don't buy too many CAC coins seeing as I'm primarily a non-US collector. 

That said, I do have a 7070 I occasionally buy coins for, and I like putting in decent coins.  The last CAC coin I bought was the gold Eagle (Indian headdress).  I wanted a nice one.  Found a reasonably common date one I liked and it happened to be in a PCGS MS-63, green bean slab.  Told the seller (at Baltimore) I was going to take it home and hand it over to my slab cracker and stick it in my album.  His eyes kind of bugged out at that one, but it was a generic (okay nice) one so so what? IIRC I was swapping bullion so it didn't matter on the 'price' so much given gold fluctuations at the time.  

I don't seek out WINGS stickers but have checked them out at shows and have bought a few.  He does have an eye and the ones I've gotten I've been pretty darn pleased with.  Nothing wrong with second opinions and that guy's a good one to get it from.

CAC, QA, W, etc. etc.  There must be a dozen or more outfits that will put a sticker on your slab - for a fee.  Never bought any and probably won't ever buy any.  IMO it's what we used to call, in the old days, a gimmick.

Edited by Alex in PA.
Update

54 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

CAC, QA, W, etc. etc.  There must be a dozen or more outfits that will put a sticker on your slab - for a fee.  Never bought any and probably won't ever buy any.  IMO it's what we used to call, in the old days, a gimmick.

Use the word “gimmick” if you please, but the marketplace has a different opinion, and over a long period of time.

41 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

Use the word “gimmick” if you please, but the marketplace has a different opinion, and over a long period of time.

I think even you'll agree, some of them are straight gimmicks. 

Take MAC for example. 

For those of you who might ever sell your coins (or hand them down to someone that will sell them) the CAC sticker is an advantage beyond the NGC or PCGS market grade.

I would prefer a CAC Registry that informs the collector of coins that have failed to pass the test.  That would save the collector some extra funds.

Of course this wouldn't work.  No outfit is going to refuse making money.

Edited by Alex in PA.
update

1 hour ago, Alex in PA. said:

I would prefer a CAC Registry that informs the collector of coins that have failed to pass the test.  That would save the collector some extra funds.

If this were to happen every coin in that list without a bean would lose half or more its value, it would be the worst thing ever for the hobby bar none.

Edited by Coinbuf

Yes.  As if that's not happening now.  Try to sell a MS 64 without a 'bean'.  Get back what you paid for it?

Any coin today with out a CAC sticker is suspect.

Edited by Alex in PA.
update

Certainly there are some, many at the higher price/grade levels who think that any coin above say 1K has to have been tried and failed thus it must be a reject.  But the truth is that there are many collections that have never seen the grading room, and even more graded collections that have not been to the bean factory.  In my case I have submission ability but so far have only submitted 5% or less of my collection with no plans to submit any in the near future.

7 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

They don’t keep that information private in order to make money. They do it because they understand that submitters wouldn’t want such results published. Likewise PCGS and NGC don’t publish records of coins which fail at crossover.

8 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

Any coin today with out a CAC sticker is suspect.

I heartily disagree with this, but I understand that there are many "collectors" who live in the "buy, submit, submit for stickers, resubmit, submit for stickers again, sell" world where all this stuff matters. Lots of us just don't play in that pool.

Consider the fact that it only costs half the money to get CAC beans that TPG's charge to get plus grades on your coins. Then even less at CAC if doesn't bean !

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 2:35 PM, Coinbuf said:

If this were to happen every coin in that list without a bean would lose half or more its value, it would be the worst thing ever for the hobby bar none.

If you are correct about the proportional loss, this says a lot about the state of the "hobby".  It also says a lot about what "collectors" actually think of the coins they are buying.