2002 Indiana State Quarter Broadstrike Error..???
1 1

24 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me what if anything this quarter is besides a beat up quarter? I think it may be a broadstrike error but am unsure as I know nothing about coins. Is it something  that i should even bother with trying to grade? It is in fairly rough condition. The outside circumference is slightly larger than that of a normal everyday quarter as though it spread outward during the pressing. A little help if anyone would be so inclined. Thank you. 

20190113_221309.jpg

20190113_221329.jpg

20190113_221249.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum.

A broadsrruck coin is one that was struck without the collar in place. The collar imparts the reeding on a quarter, so your coin had to have been struck with the collar in place. Therefore, it could not be broadstruck. I believe what you have there is a seriously damaged coin. From the look of it, I would guess that it was caught in some kind of machine, like a commercial clothes drier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Welcome to the forum.

A broadsrruck coin is one that was struck without the collar in place. The collar imparts the reeding on a quarter, so your coin had to have been struck with the collar in place. Therefore, it could not be broadstruck. I believe what you have there is a seriously damaged coin. From the look of it, I would guess that it was caught in some kind of machine, like a commercial clothes drier.

Thanks JB I do appreciate your reply. The pics dont really impart the nature of the coins deformity. Is it possible for it to have gotten smashed with such pressure that it beveled(or tapered) the face evenly all the way around?.. And why are the ridges pressed into only half of the outer edge and that half with the ridges is actually slightly larger in circumference than a normal quarter?... I understand a commercial dryer could do a lot of damage to a coin but the damage on this coin appears pressed and I would think a dryer would just kind of beat it up or it become lodged somewhere and get rubbed down to its base metal and would occur then in primarily one spot. I have seen other examples of graded broadstrike(at least that is what was listed with them)error coins that were very similar having that same beveled face all the way around. And is it possible to un-strike a coins design without going all the way through the plating? I thank you again for your knowledge. I know very little about coins but have found some interest since finding this coin. I have no interest in a value ...pretty sure its 25 cents!

Screenshot_20190114-192446_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190114-192437_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190114-192431_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Jacob Garrett
Added reference photos
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it's damage also.  It just doesn't look "right" to me for an actual broadstrike.  As your reference photos show, the actual broadstrike coin does have the majority of the details of the design present, the coin is just shaped incorrectly and is large than usual.  Your coin has almost no detail remaining at all, and your coin also has some reeding, as Bob pointed out.  A true broadstrike would not have reeding as it would have been struck without a collar in place.  Damage can take many forms, and some forms of it can change the size and shape of coins.  We don't know what happened to your coin, but I'm certain that it happened after it left the Mint. 

Edited by Mohawk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/14/2019 at 1:48 AM, Just Bob said:

Welcome to the forum.

A broadsrruck coin is one that was struck without the collar in place. The collar imparts the reeding on a quarter, so your coin had to have been struck with the collar in place. Therefore, it could not be broadstruck. I believe what you have there is a seriously damaged coin. From the look of it, I would guess that it was caught in some kind of machine, like a commercial clothes drier.

I have the same exact 2002 indiana quarter.

20220215_230329.jpg

20220215_230338.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/16/2022 at 1:23 PM, Hess1978 said:

I have the same exact 2002 indiana quarter.

20220215_230329.jpg

20220215_230338.jpg

Exactly the same damage as well. Looks like a dryer coin as said before. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Good guess JT2, but not a RR tracker. Possibly, if it was in the middle of a stack of coins, but doesn't look like it. --- Moxie15 is a machinist, he might have a good forensic opinion.

Edited by ronnie stein
clarify
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/16/2022 at 8:18 PM, Oldhoopster said:

Sorry, but your coin is damaged. It did not leave the mint in that condition

So you say it is damaged or a dryier damage. So how did my coin and jacobs coin recieve the exact same damage from to different places. They are identical in comparison 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/14/2019 at 12:46 AM, Jacob Garrett said:

Can anyone tell me what if anything this quarter is besides a beat up quarter? I think it may be a broadstrike error but am unsure as I know nothing about coins. Is it something  that i should even bother with trying to grade? It is in fairly rough condition. The outside circumference is slightly larger than that of a normal everyday quarter as though it spread outward during the pressing. A little help if anyone would be so inclined. Thank you. 

20190113_221309.jpg

20190113_221329.jpg

20190113_221249.jpg

Hi jacob i have an identical 2002 Indiana quarter. Im not sure if you live near me im in middletown ohio. Our coins are to identical. Me personally am not sure what happened to them but i dont believe it is damaged by a drier i do believe they were mistakenly errored like this during the making process. Cause i dont believe two different machines from two different places done the exact same damage to the exact same quarter.

20220215_230329.jpg

20220215_230338.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/16/2022 at 3:02 PM, Woods020 said:

Exactly the same damage as well. Looks like a dryer coin as said before. 

Exactly the same damage on the eexactsame 2002 quarter. I respect your answer but even if two of the quarters had gotten stuck in the same dryer there is no way it would damage both coins identically its just not logically possible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry but your coin is not exactly the same. Maybe same type of damage.

Compare a side by side of the quarters and they are vastly different. 
There is no way you can have a formed rim on one side and not the other without it being damaged.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/19/2022 at 3:35 PM, Hess1978 said:

Hi jacob i have an identical 2002 Indiana quarter. Im not sure if you live near me im in middletown ohio. Our coins are to identical. Me personally am not sure what happened to them but i dont believe it is damaged by a drier i do believe they were mistakenly errored like this during the making process. Cause i dont believe two different machines from two different places done the exact same damage to the exact same quarter.

Well first if you notice on the op's (Jacob) avatar he listed Denver Colorado as home.   Second, he (Jacob) has not logged in here since the day after he started this thread just over 3 years ago, so it seems rather unlikely that he will respond to your post.   Third the damage to your coin and that of the OP may look similar at first but really they are not alike and far from identical as his has some design showing in the center of the reverse while yours has nothing left of the design in the center of the reverse.   And forth it is not at all hard to believe that two coins can have similar damage from two different washing machines.    Also, there are plenty of rip off artists that attempt to create the look of a real mint error (like a true broadstrike) using a grinder or sander in order to sell to an unknowledgeable buyer, stuff like this pops up for sale all the time on social media sites as well as places like Etsy.

Edited by Coinbuf
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/19/2022 at 4:44 PM, Hess1978 said:

Exactly the same damage on the eexactsame 2002 quarter. I respect your answer but even if two of the quarters had gotten stuck in the same dryer there is no way it would damage both coins identically its just not logically possible.

Perhaps we are all incorrect in that this is a damaged coin like the one you are comparing to. To prove us wrong you can send it in for error attribution and laugh at us later. Now get a basic membership ($25) then submit for grading under modern tier ($19) and add mint error attribution ($18). Depending on what value you want to insure this extreme rarity at supposed we say shipping costs will be $20 in total conservatively. For the low low price of roughly $82 you can potentially prove us wrong. Or in reality spend $82 on a damaged quarter that will be returned ungraded due to damage. The choice is yours my friend. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/19/2022 at 7:15 PM, Woods020 said:

Perhaps we are all incorrect in that this is a damaged coin like the one you are comparing to. To prove us wrong you can send it in for error attribution and laugh at us later. Now get a basic membership ($25) then submit for grading under modern tier ($19) and add mint error attribution ($18). Depending on what value you want to insure this extreme rarity at supposed we say shipping costs will be $20 in total conservatively. For the low low price of roughly $82 you can potentially prove us wrong. Or in reality spend $82 on a damaged quarter that will be returned ungraded due to damage. The choice is yours my friend. 

The thing is i dont want to have it graded i found this coin in my pocket change i google lensed iti brought me to the 2019 jocob coin forum that looks like mine, both sides have the same disfigurements one is disfigured slightly more than the other but they are the same type of disfigurement. I dont see how a coin put in any type of machine could do that type of damage when a coin is put into a machine it rolls down past a sensor straight into a coin tray. And if they for some reason was put in together and stuck side by side it wouldn't make damage like that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What they are saying about being washing machine or dryer coins is when change gets left in the pockets of pants when people do their laundry. Sometimes the coins work their way down below the tumblers and get stuck. Then roll around as the tumbler rolls constantly wearing down the coin little by little. Ive found them in that condition breaking them down for scrap iron after they tear up. I broke a dryer down about a month ago that had over $5 worth of change in it where the owner didnt clean his pockets out good. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can also compare your quarter to the graded one. See the side with the rim on it. See how it has all the little lines running side to side where the design was. Thats a sign someone has used some type of grinding tool on it. If you ever use a grinder you will notice how it makes the same abrasion marks on metal. Also you can see the coin has its same diameter and the rim is still on one side. Then notice the graded one has the rim beat down on both sides and the design is distorted a little from the coin slightly stretching. It dosent have its original diameter due to flattening out slightly. Someone has ground down the other coins. Dont know why people do those sort of things but if you do alot of roll hunting you will find all sorts of oddities due to human damage. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/25/2022 at 1:15 AM, Hess1978 said:

The thing is i dont want to have it graded i found this coin in my pocket change i google lensed iti brought me to the 2019 jocob coin forum that looks like mine, both sides have the same disfigurements one is disfigured slightly more than the other but they are the same type of disfigurement. I dont see how a coin put in any type of machine could do that type of damage when a coin is put into a machine it rolls down past a sensor straight into a coin tray. And if they for some reason was put in together and stuck side by side it wouldn't make damage like that. 

NEVER assume your coin is an error if you can't explain the cause of the damage.  All errors/varieties are a result of the minting or die making process, and subsequently can be explained as such.  Your coin could not have been produced at the mint and it absolutely did not leave the mint in that condition.  

Some of the members who have responded to this thread have been collecting for decades and are very knowledgeable of the minting process.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/25/2022 at 1:15 AM, Hess1978 said:

The thing is i dont want to have it graded i found this coin in my pocket change i google lensed iti brought me to the 2019 jocob coin forum that looks like mine, both sides have the same disfigurements one is disfigured slightly more than the other but they are the same type of disfigurement. I dont see how a coin put in any type of machine could do that type of damage when a coin is put into a machine it rolls down past a sensor straight into a coin tray. And if they for some reason was put in together and stuck side by side it wouldn't make damage like that. 

Welcome Hess1978, I see you referenced a coin machine ? When we say Dryer coin it is not meant as a coin operated dryer, it is what we say for a coin that has been stuck somewhere that it has constant wear and reshapes the coin. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is common for coins to be left in clothing pockets. When washed and dried, coins fall out and get lodged in the machine mechanism. Home washer-dryer clothes machines usually make enough noise that the owner retrieves the coins. But in commercial laundries and self-service places coins rattling about are more likely to get ignored. How and where in the machinery a coin becomes stuck will affect its final appearance, as in the OP's example.

Coin-operated gambling machines often damage the edge of coins simply by extensive reuse. This was especially common on large dollar and half dollar coins.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/25/2022 at 3:26 PM, Oldhoopster said:

NEVER assume your coin is an error if you can't explain the cause of the damage.  All errors/varieties are a result of the minting or die making process, and subsequently can be explained as such.  Your coin could not have been produced at the mint and it absolutely did not leave the mint in that condition.  

Some of the members who have responded to this thread have been collecting for decades and are very knowledgeable of the minting process.  

 

See “hoop”? This is the kind of err, feces, that spikes my blood pressure. If you can tolerate it, you’re a finer man than I am. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/26/2022 at 7:40 PM, VKurtB said:

See “hoop”? This is the kind of err, feces, that spikes my blood pressure. If you can tolerate it, you’re a finer man than I am. 

I'll concede to your comment in this case.  I try to give new collectors the benefit of a doubt and provide an educational answer, but tend to draw the line for stuff like this member posted.  They were given accurate information, but choose to insist that it had to be an error because that don't understand the minting process.  There contention seems to be, "it's new to me, so how can others possibly know it".

I just get a little put off when we jump on a newbie before they they show their hand.  Give 'em a break to start, until they prove with subsequent posts, that they don't want to learn and grow.  Just my opinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/26/2022 at 7:29 PM, Oldhoopster said:

I'll concede to your comment in this case.  I try to give new collectors the benefit of a doubt and provide an educational answer, but tend to draw the line for stuff like this member posted.  They were given accurate information, but choose to insist that it had to be an error because that don't understand the minting process.  There contention seems to be, "it's new to me, so how can others possibly know it".

I just get a little put off when we jump on a newbie before they they show their hand.  Give 'em a break to start, until they prove with subsequent posts, that they don't want to learn and grow.  Just my opinion.

Each iteration of this wears down the little appetite for nonsense I might have had once. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1