• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Plus or Star...Which would you choose

45 posts in this topic

Given the same grade and CAC approval on both coins, which would you choose? For my arguments sake, the star is NOT awarded for toning(near PL surfaces for example).

Given the same grade and CAC approval on both coins, which would you choose? For my arguments sake, the star is NOT awarded for toning(near PL surfaces for example).

What is the star awarded for in your scenario? And are images available, or does the choice have to be made blindly?

Mark, for this scenario, assume the coin is either near-PL or given the star for some unknown reason(you know ones Im talking about) but would have to assume good eye appeal(hence the designation), just not for toning. No pics, just a theoretical question.

I'm a fan of the trilogy of terror. Plus, star and CAC

mark

6.jpg

I'm a fan of the trilogy of terror. Plus, star and CAC

mark

6.jpg

Nice coin(and one Id love to own myself), but you cant stay on the fence on this one...one or the other. Not to mention, yours is toned.

The only reason that I like STARS are because of their beautiful color and toning.

I don't like PL coins much, at all.

If STARS can be awarded for a great strike, then that MAY be something else to consider.

But otherwise, if beautiful toning can't be considered (a very large factor in determining if a coin gets a star or not), then I guess that I'll have to take the PLUS.

I have purchased many star coins that were not and are not toned. The MS stars that are near PL and early date PF Cameo stars that are near UC. I have never wanted the + coins as I would rather have the next grade higher. I guess (opposite of Walkerfan) I am a star man. :grin:

Rick

I should have read more carefully. I would chose the star. Grading can be overrated.

mark

Mark, for this scenario, assume the coin is either near-PL or given the star for some unknown reason(you know ones Im talking about) but would have to assume good eye appeal(hence the designation), just not for toning. No pics, just a theoretical question.

I'll take the star coin. My guess is that I agree with more star designations than I do plus grades. And a star coin is much more likely to be appealing looking than a plus coin is.

It depends on several factors, including cost, whether the coin was a top pop or condition rarity (whether I thought I could upgrade it), what the star was awarded for, and how strong for the grade the non star coin is. Generally, I would rather have the most eye appealing coin regardless of designation; however, if the fields are only semi-PL I may care a lot or not at all depending on the series. For some series where semi-PL coins are common and fully PL coins are available at reasonable prices, I might not care about the star at all. On the other hand, if the PLs for the issue are scarce or we are talking about a blast white widget, I would likely prefer the star semi-PL coin.

As a general matter, I also think we need to see the coin in question. I have seen far too many star coins that I didn't agree with only to see superior coins (IMHO) without the designation. Like everything else in numismatics, eye appeal is subjective.

I have a couple coins with stars, a few with +, and many many with CAC. But in the end, I don't care about any of that nor worry about which of those grading add ons I prefer. I instead care about the coin and whether I like it, and whether it has detracting evidence of human assistance or not........

Best, HT

Hands down, star......

I'm not going to get any more money out of a 64+ coin, but I will out of s 64 *.....Beside the fact, as Mark said, the star is most likely a more eye-appealing coin.

Paul

Given the same grade and CAC approval on both coins, which would you choose?

The one I like better

This is the best and only answer in my opinion.

Impossible to generalize without seeing a specific coin. I will also often prefer the look of a special MS64 coin over a pedestrian MS66 coin. That doesn't mean I'm going to make a comment about preferring the MS64 in general.

(shrug)

The "plus" is generally meaningless and arbitrary to me. I attach no special significance to it, I don't search them out, and I often disagree with them. I wouldn't pay a premium for a generic plus coin. The only thing it is good for is more registry points, if you play that game.

The star is far more reliable, and is generally an attractive coin. It is subjective, however - I've seen coins that I was perplexed why it got a star.

I'm going to look for a coin I like. I'm going to buy the coin I like better, and I don't care what special designators it has. Yes, I'm building a PL set - but I'm only going to buy the "PL" designated coin if I like it and agree with the designation. (I am going to buy it because I think it is PL - not just because NGC says it is. Using their designator as a search tool helps me narrow the field down).

I wouldn't worry about "plus" versus "star" versus "plain" versus "CAC" versus.... Buy an attractive coin at a fair price, and let others worry about chasing letters.

I wouldn't worry about "plus" versus "star" versus "plain" versus "CAC" versus.... Buy an attractive coin at a fair price, and let others worry about chasing letters.

This. Unfortunately, many collectors seem to chase these "letters" you refer to. Often running up the prices of these coins. It's like the Lucky Charms cereal. Blue Moons (plus signs) and Green Clovers (CAC stickers)! It's magically delicious!

To answer the question: The label on the holder, for me, just gives me a rough idea of what the seller will want for the coin. After than it's just the coin I focus on. Which coin I would choose is the one I like the most.

I should point out however that the series I collect do not usually have these choices at the same time and place. The chances that I'll see a bust dime with a + and another with a star in the same grade and date is HIGHLY UNLIKELY. So the question really won't apply to me.

jom

I'm pretty sure that CAC does not recognize plus or star when evaluating coins for A or B quality.

Yes. The Star really has nothing to do with the grade so CAC ignores it. The Plus sign is redundant to CAC since the sticker is for A and B coins and presumably an A coin would be equivalent to a Plus.

jom

At the risk of being accused of projection, I would say that the majority are influenced (even slightly) by the designation (+, *, CAC, holder brand) whether they care to admit it or not.

As a general rule I'd rather have the plus, what someone else finds eye appealing is not important to me. I'll use the example that LeeG posted, I'm a copper collector and I can understand why Lee likes it but I do not find that coin appealing so that star means nothing to me.

I suppose I would take the star coin, however I've seen run of the mill common date untoned Franklin halves in PF66 Cameo get a star.....so who knows.

=

I suppose I would take the star coin, however I've seen run of the mill common date untoned Franklin halves in PF66 Cameo get a star.....so who knows.

This is exactly what I meant by part of my post; the star can mean a number of things. In the case of the Franklin half dollars, it is likely a coin that has strong cameo contrasts that just misses the UCAM designation on one or both sides. Without seeing the coin in the OP, it is impossible to know what the star was for, how "special" the coin is, and whether it would really matter or not.

At the risk of being accused of projection, I would say that the majority are influenced (even slightly) by the designation (+, *, CAC, holder brand) whether they care to admit it or not.

I genuinely wish someone would write a book on coin psychology. There are so many topics to discuss.

I agree. While you may not care for either designation, you know that many do and it would be very difficult to not take this factor into consideration when buying or selling.

Based on your response I'd like to comment on what it is that I might do with these different labels.

As to CAC: I'm more influenced by CAC than any of the other labels. I'm more likely to question a coin that I like if it does not have the sticker. I'll admit that. I'm also less likely to give a coin I find online a chance if it doesn't have the CAC sticker...I generally won't bother to have it sent to me. I should point out I have sent coins back that DID have the sticker. A recent Bust Dime comes to mind.

If I can see the coin in hand at a show or lot viewing the sticker has LESS influence on me. I does a bit but I'm more comfortable if I can see before purchase.

As to the other "labels". The + sign just gives me a general idea of what I might have to pay for the coin. Other than that influence having a + on the label doesn't mean much to me.

As to the *: I don't really care much about that either.

So that is how I kind of look at things. CAC does influence me to an extent but I still have to see the coin. I don't know how others do it but I'm sure everyone is a bit different.

jom

Here are my two stars - the first I call Jimmy the other Robert, unfortunately they won't buy me a stairway to heaven (wink, wink, Catbert), but they do show that the star is for eye appeal and a coin that is all there for the grade. Not my best image of the 1836 dime, I need to reshoot it in its new edgeview and unscratched slab. NGC does not give these out alot, so when they do, it means the graders felt the eye appeal was astounding for the grade. So if these two are representative, it shows the star has some meaning......

Best, HT

1805.qtr.N.15.CAC.HAL_zps3dv1ojbv.jpg

1836dNGCAU58comp_zps12e01cb9.jpg

Here are my two stars - the first I call Jimmy the other Robert, unfortunately they won't buy me a stairway to heaven (wink, wink, Catbert), but they do show that the star is for eye appeal and a coin that is all there for the grade. Not my best image of the 1836 dime, I need to reshoot it in its new edgeview and unscratched slab. NGC does not give these out alot, so when they do, it means the graders felt the eye appeal was astounding for the grade. So if these two are representative, it shows the star has some meaning......

Best, HT

1805.qtr.N.15.CAC.HAL_zps3dv1ojbv.jpg

1836dNGCAU58comp_zps12e01cb9.jpg

Those two coins look gorgeous to me. However, the star is awarded for eye appeal and has nothing to do with a coin being "all there for the grade".