• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the Grade and Value of this Silver Roosie

25 posts in this topic

Slightly banged up 1963-D - AU. Millions of these things around. Worth melt. (Although someone paid through the schnoz to have it authenticated....) Unless it's on a clad planchet.

Hmmmm."JS" ---- "JS" --- ? Is that the coin Papa Joe Stalin designed?

;)

Because you posted it and because of the heavy die polish lines, I'll guess 65PL. Doesn't look worn to me. I don't know how rare PL dimes are, so I'll guess $100. If that we're raw it'd be worth about $2. (It may be worth $2 anyway.)

MS64 I will assume PL since you're posting it. Not FB. I personally don't think the reverse looks PL in those images.

Value is whatever 2 people are willing to bid it up to. Personally I don't think it's anything special and wouldn't pay more than $15-20 mostly as novelty value if it has the PL designation.

(shrug)

Hmmm, from the photos, it does not seem to be the FS-801 DDR.

Photos never show everything and from the photos, I would not call it PL

but who knows, maybe it is?

Besides the two possible attributes I mentioned above, I am not sure

what else could add significant value here. I am eager to find out.

Hopefully I did not overlook something too obvious.

At least 65 w/Proof like designation.

Have no idea on value but I know that most who have responded here will spit their drink all over their keyboard when u post the value... that or just flat out not believe you. (Roger).

"...or just flat out not believe you. (Roger)."

Oh, I'll believe the "price" - but certainly not the value - unless it's on a clad planchet. Slabbing pocket change and then claiming it is valuable is a desperate act of self deception. Let's see, in DSM-5 where does that fall....?

However - this is kind of a fun thread, and a good teaser by the OP!

;)

Great guesses, everyone! Most people were right around the assigned grade, more or less.

NGC called this one 65 PL, and I paid $130 for it.

It is the only graded PL for 1963D, and it is the only Denver minted prooflike Silver Roosie. Prooflikes of the mid 60s are really hard to find, so I pick them up whenever I can. The S-mint PLs of the 40s and 50s have a definite character, and the PLs of 68-72 have a completely different character - but any PL I've seen from 63-64 is intriguingly different.

The radial lines are metal fatigue, not polish.

This particular coin has an interesting appearance. The obverse has strong die polish, which you can see in the fields in my images. This is characteristic of the earlier S-mint PL's that are fairly common. However, as Roger pointed out, the lines you see on the reverse are from metal fatigue (or, die wear). There doesn't appear to be strong evidence of die polish on the reverse - but the fields are just as reflectively prooflike as the obverse.

There is no evidence in hand of hub doubling, obverse or reverse. There is *very* minor machine doubling on parts, especially the motto. Most likely, any doubling you see is an artifact of the lighting.

Anyways, I thought it was interesting and figured I'd share.

I have sent one of my dimes to NGC 3 times trying to get the designation. It even has some cameo contrast. I will agree that the PL designation is tough! My photo skills stink or Id post it.

I think a more interesting question would be how much would you be willing to pay for this raw.

(I must admit I do not remember ever paying $100 for a raw Jefferson, and am not sure what it would take before I did - although I have handled many in slabs worth that much).

My guess was going to be MS65 Star. I figured the roughness in the upper left reverse would prevent that side from grading PL. However, the polish seems to be very fresh, and the mirrors on the reverse may be quite strong in-hand.