• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pawn shop browsing! Seen gold! Pics added!!!

34 posts in this topic

So while I'm running around looking at oil rigs, I have a tendency to check out pawn shops. Today I seen a 1913 $2.50 indian head. Looked probably EF. Didn't see signs of cleaning. Had some luster but not a whole lot. They had a $199.99 price tag on it. Wouldn't come down. What might be the value on this? Sorry, couldn't get pics.

This guy has been all over the place. He has canceled on other bidders who did BIN with him, the coin was his but now its not his but a coin shop's he works for, he'll call me but then he doesn't.

It has given me a bad feeling about doing a transaction with him and I would t go over what PayPal can offer protection at now.

This guy has been all over the place. He has canceled on other bidders who did BIN with him, the coin was his but now its not his but a coin shop's he works for, he'll call me but then he doesn't.

It has given me a bad feeling about doing a transaction with him and I would t go over what PayPal can offer protection at now.

What are you talking about? Are you in the wrong thread Eric?

So while I'm running around looking at oil rigs, I have a tendency to check out pawn shops. Today I seen a 1913 $2.50 indian head. Looked probably EF. Didn't see signs of cleaning. Had some luster but not a whole lot. They had a $199.99 price tag on it. Wouldn't come down. What might be the value on this? Sorry, couldn't get pics.

Assuming no problems---that sounds like a good price to me.

Ok, well the pawn shop guy was friendly enough to let me take pics with my phone. Plus, talking to the young kid working, they are more interested in the gold content than the actual coin. Not the best, but here they are if it will help. Thanks!!

1913IndianheadObv_zps75a707e3.jpg

1913IndianheadRev_zps38fb601f.jpg

Pics are not good enough to judge but pawn shops look at gold weight and purity. Sophistocated ones know a little bit about numismatics. Accordingly, make certain all the edges are as they should be and not used for a scratch test.

What Mark said....

Greysheet has a problem free XF around $250.

Now, if they were really only worried about the gold content amount, then I would look closely and see if it was an ex-jewelry piece or cleaned, etc. Hard to tell with photos from a cellphone.

Gold value ~$160.

All I had was my little pocket magnifying glass. I didn't see any scratch test marks. I looked for hairlines also and didn't see any that jumped out at me. First reply ats said it looks cleaned. I'm not real sure. I can tell when silver has been cleaned but gold is not my strong side. If the gold value is only $160, then if it was cleaned, $200 would probably be high then huh?

All I had was my little pocket magnifying glass. I didn't see any scratch test marks. I looked for hairlines also and didn't see any that jumped out at me. First reply ats said it looks cleaned. I'm not real sure. I can tell when silver has been cleaned but gold is not my strong side. If the gold value is only $160, then if it was cleaned, $200 would probably be high then huh?

In a word---'yes'.

Now that I see your images----there looks to be no luster. The surfaces appear dull and lifeless.

The reverse looks like it may have some hairlines, too.

Personally, I'd pass.

It would be interesting to know what they paid for it. It's hard not to be cynical about pawn shops and numismatics, I have seen so many sky high prices on problem material. My advice: go to a weekend coin show, it is easy to get schedules online.

In a word---'yes'.

Now that I see your images----there looks to be no luster. The surfaces appear dull and lifeless.

The reverse looks like it may have some hairlines, too.

Personally, I'd pass.

It does have some luster in hand. I'll post another pic in a few where I had my flash on my phone. Just an Obv pic though. The thing that may be an issue though, someone ats noticed what looks like a small dent by the 9 in the date. It goes through the "E" on the reverse.

lol, sorry wrong thread. I thought I was in my post about that Morgan.

lol, sorry wrong thread. I thought I was in mine post about that Morgan.

lol

I should have left my flash on for a reverse pic but it didn't look like the flash was doing me much good. Anyway, this is the one pic I took with the flash on.

Indian22_zps1ea1ab60.jpg

With the dig around the date and the E on the reverse, I am thinking like I mentioned earlier....could be ex-jewelry.

Probably not "problem-free" with those digs.

(thumbs u

As I understand there is some type of damage by the date, I don't understand why it would be presumed a jewelry piece. There is no hole or solder on the coin. What one would think might be a clamp mark is an odd spot to me to hang a gold coin. This would have it hanging crooked and upside down. Maybe it's just a small ding? Also, this is a very small coin. So considering it's not cleaned in any way, would a small ding like this stop it from grading too?

I don't like it. Looks damaged. If you want to make into a jewelry piece then that may be a reason to purchase -- a jeweler may be able to polish out the damage.

What's going on by the date? Looks like it was damaged as it the mark also shows up in the E in States on the reverse. But for not much over melt it doesn't seem like a bad deal.

As I understand there is some type of damage by the date, I don't understand why it would be presumed a jewelry piece. There is no hole or solder on the coin. What one would think might be a clamp mark is an odd spot to me to hang a gold coin. This would have it hanging crooked and upside down. Maybe it's just a small ding? Also, this is a very small coin. So considering it's not cleaned in any way, would a small ding like this stop it from grading too?

Here's what I think....

You are the only one to see the coin. We only have the pics.

You seem to be trying to justify it. Take all our comments with a grain of salt. At the end of the day, we aren't looking to buy it but are trying to give you our opinions based on the visual.

Do you gamble? If so, this is "only" a $40 gamble right now. If you do gamble, go for it. $40 isn't that much for gambling ;)

Here's what I think....

You are the only one to see the coin. We only have the pics.

You seem to be trying to justify it. Take all our comments with a grain of salt. At the end of the day, we aren't looking to buy it but are trying to give you our opinions based on the visual.

Do you gamble? If so, this is "only" a $40 gamble right now. If you do gamble, go for it. $40 isn't that much for gambling ;)

I am asking questions! This is what the forum is for. I've already stated that I don't know much at all about gold. As I stated, I can see the damage but when I look at the same pics you are, don't see this as a perfect spot to mount a coin for a nice piece of jewelry. I don't have coins graded, especially this small, and am asking if the damage would stop it from grading. The only reason I'm asking for so much info is I'm getting about 50% saying it's worth the money even if a jewelry piece and 50% saying it's not worth it both here and ATS. This is my reason for so many questions. I guess in a way I am justifying, but it's not the coin, I'm waiting to justify if It's worth my hard earned $200.

I think the ding between the 1 & 9 is what is causing / coming thru on the E on the reverse. I think this would be a "Details" coin if graded.

Thank you for your answer!

I think for my own satisfaction I am still gonna go by the shop with my loupe and look at the coin again. Knowing it won't grade with this damage, I just want to get a better look at it so I'm more knowledgeable when looking at one in-hand. I've never seen one in person. I'm also going to look at a $5 indian head they have with a $400 price tag on it. Thank you to those that have been patient with me and for all your info and help!!

Do you want a coin that might or might not be a good deal, but has nothing going for it, or a coin that you know you like? Be patient and save your money for the latter.

It is not an odd position if they liked the eagle

$_57.JPG

I would check all around the edge and make syre not filed or damaged anymore than already seen. There seems to be no upside as far as I am concerned - Why do you want to buy this particular coin?

Do you want a coin that might or might not be a good deal, but has nothing going for it, or a coin that you know you like? Be patient and save your money for the latter.

I plan on it Mark. As I've stated, I know nothing about these. I have been looking at already graded one's because of my lack of knowledge of them. They are out of my budget. When I seen this, I thought maybe a good deal. My thread was a thread of gaining knowledge beforehand than if I had been impulsive and bought the thing and then learned of the bad side of it here afterwards. Looking at a raw one just makes me leery and asking more questions as I probably wouldn't know what a counterfeit looked like unless it was a very crude one. I never spotted the damage on this until posting it here. I'm still going back to look at the damage up close for my own benefit, but with the info I've gotten, I'm also gonna pass this one up. Unless they let me have it for melt and I can make me a very cool necklace with it. lol

It is not an odd position if they liked the eagle

I would check all around the edge and make syre not filed or damaged anymore than already seen. There seems to be no upside as far as I am concerned - Why do you want to buy this particular coin?

With that type of bezel, you maybe right. As I just stated with Marks post, I didn't see this damage until this thread. Thank you sir!