• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not really numismatically related.

24 posts in this topic

I think I finally got the incentive I needed to stop procrastinating, buckle down and finish the update to the slabbook and some other writing projects.

If any of you are over 50 and you haven't had a colonoscopy yet, or if it has been a long time since you have, get one.

My younger brother had his first one two weeks ago. He was in the hospital from complications due to a reaction to an antibiotic. His liver was failing. But they noticed something in the scans and so they did a colonoscopy. They found a 15 cm very aggressive stage 4 colon cancer.

We took him off the ventilator this morning at 11:55. He died at 12:30.

He was 51.

My condolences to you and his family and your family.

I have had three colonoscopies already and Im under 45. All three found precancerous polyps.

To everyone else, get a colonoscopy as soon as possible. They are not fun but colon cancer can be cured if found early enough. Men die sooner then their wives because we dont listen to our bodies and we think we are indestructible. We are not.

That is terrible news and my thoughts are with you and your family.

I had my first at 40 or 41 when they found my prostate cancer. Never to young.

Conder101,

My deepest condolences. I just can't imagine.

I had my colonoscopy last year and thankfully was problem free. My next appointment is in 10 years when I'm 69. My wifes showed a few pollups which were addressed then and there and she's good to go for 5 years.

This really is a nothing procedure that should be performed on everyone over 50. It's just unbelievable that people risk dying because it's a little embarassing.

Hopefully the awareness raised by your post will help another avoid an issue.

God Bless.

Heartfelt condolences to you, it's so extremely sad there's hardly anything in the way of consolation that can be said. Are you channeling a part of your grief into energy to work on those projects? Did your brother ever share any of your numismatic interests?

I'm so sorry. I can't imagine the sudden sence of loss you must be going through.

I've had three successful colonoscopies and also encourage everyone over 50 to get one.

I'm very sorry for you loss. I just lost my 96 year old grandmother this morning. You kind of expect it at 96, but 51 is way too young...

I have Crohns disease (hence my online name), so my doctor checks me pretty regularly for cancer of the colon. The dammed disease nearly killed me once, and but for some skilled surgeons, it would have. The meds I have to take have trashed my liver and kidneys, but I have more pictures of my insides than my outsides...which is a toss as to which pictures are more ugly....

That is very sad - can't imagine the impact of losing a brother. So sorry, Conder.

For those who haven't had a colonoscopy, it really is painless and you're put under during the procedure. If you're 50 or older, you are frankly gambling with your life not having the procedure done.