• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Negative Feedback for a raw coin that the buyer submitted to PCGS

42 posts in this topic

On April 3, 2013 I sold a raw Mercury Dime on E-Bay for $52 (see auction link below)

1940-S Mercury Dime GEM BU FB (Full Bands)

MD1940-SGEMBUFB_zpsdf218420.jpg

On May 17, 2013 with absolutely no warning or communication from the buyer, he leaves me negative feedback (my first) that says: Per PCGS, coin was damaged.

Ironically, I divulged that the coin was damaged in my description of the coin in the BIN listing: A supremely lustrous blast white GEM BU Mercury Dime with full bands. Slight album slide mark across the jaw line. A dynamite album coin.

Who thinks I should have been more clear in my description? Furthermore, who agrees with the buyers negative feedback?

E-Bay doesn't even furnish a phone number so you can explain your side of the story. Either buy something (small) from the goof who can't read to return the favor or just block him from ever buying from you again.

Life's too short to worry about a-holes.

E-Bay doesn't even furnish a phone number so you can explain your side of the story. Either buy something (small) from the goof who can't read to return the favor or just block him from ever buying from you again.

Life's too short to worry about a-holes.

clowntown536 is blocked!

eBay does have a voice phone number and I have used it on numerous occasions. Now getting through on the phone with them is not the problem..... It is convincing them that you do not deserve the negative feedback. Sadly that is where you will hit the proverbial Brick Wall.

I have one negative feed back as well. The guy never paid for an item so I sold it to someone else yet eBay allowed him to leave negative feedback and will not remove it. All I could do was come in and respond with .... "I know this may be hard for you to understand but YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR THE ITEM!"

In eBay's eyes the buyer can do little wrong. But there is a little light at the end of the tunnel. I noticed that they have changed their policy on buyers and the amount of time they have to pay for an item before you can escalate the case in the Resolution Center. They have cut the amount of time in half.

I had one woman call me "Rude" for kindly asking here to pay for an item after the fourth day. She said that she would leave negative feed back if it were not for her being a Christian. Well Thank God For Christianity!

Oh... and btw; the only thing that I think you might wat to change in the future is using words like "slight'. That is a very subjective description and prone to such as this happening.

Bottom line though is if they were decent folks they would have returned it immediately for a full refund or after it came back from PCGS as damaged just bit the bullet and strike it up as a learning lesson.

Blocked by me also. Thanks

On April 3, 2013 I sold a raw Mercury Dime on E-Bay for $52 (see auction link below).l

Who thinks I should have been more clear in my description? Furthermore, who agrees with the buyers negative feedback?

I do. I don't.

To me, "slight album slide mark" does not equate with or amount to "damage" of the type which typically results in a no-grade. So it sounds as if you might have understated the severity of the flaw.

On the other hand, the buyer had an opportunity to inspect the coin, shouldn't have made his feedback dependent upon the opinion of PCGS and should have contacted you before leaving negatve feedback.

I am looking at the reverse and see a couple areas that could be problems.

Above the I in PLURIBUS and below the ME in AMERICA is an odd mark / line / hit - not sure whatr it is - too big for reeding marks from a dime, planchet defect?

the lower edge from 4:30 to 8:00 is rounded - grease filled die? or did someone file off some silver? the lower E of one is also weak. The edge has an odd line under the O of one.

clowntown seems to be an accurate user id for that guy, rather odd to leave neg after submitting - if they wanted a PCGS MS67FB, they should have bought it that way....

Unless the photo is hiding something, I don't see anything that would keep PCGS from grading the coin.

The seller should have contacted you first. The problem could have been resolved before any comments, negative or positive, were made.

I think since the buyer had it in hand and was able to inspect it, it downtown matter what PCGS said. He should have left a feedback after examining it HIMSELF.

you did more than enough by mentioning the damage area (basically telling home where to look), and you actually said in your description that it's a great "album coin" - which translates to "better left raw" in my understanding.

I am looking at the reverse and see a couple areas that could be problems.

Above the I in PLURIBUS and below the ME in AMERICA is an odd mark / line / hit - not sure whatr it is - too big for reeding marks from a dime, planchet defect?

the lower edge from 4:30 to 8:00 is rounded - grease filled die? or did someone file off some silver? the lower E of one is also weak. The edge has an odd line under the O of one.

clowntown seems to be an accurate user id for that guy, rather odd to leave neg after submitting - if they wanted a PCGS MS67FB, they should have bought it that way....

I don't know how you concluded that the buyer wanted a PCGS MS67FB example. For all we know, if the coin hadn't been deemed "damaged" by PCGS, he wouldn't have left negative feedback.

I don't, as none of us know what the damage PCGS saw either...

the buyer wanting a PCGS graded example should have bought one - they clearly did not see any damage when they got coin and packaged it for submission.. for all we know, it may grade at NGC or even PCGS on another day .. it is all speculation .. sorry if I offended you

It sucks, but it happens. I got negative feedback from some one that bought a $400 pair of glasses from me for $40. A screw fell out .... It happens!!!! But you gotta roll with the punches.

On April 3, 2013 I sold a raw Mercury Dime on E-Bay for $52 (see auction link below).l

I do. I don't.

To me, "slight album slide mark" does not equate with or amount to "damage" of the type which typically results in a no-grade. So it sounds as if you might have understated the severity of the flaw.

On the other hand, the buyer had an opportunity to inspect the coin, shouldn't have made his feedback dependent upon the opinion of PCGS and should have contacted you before leaving negatve feedback.

I used the terminology "slight" because the slide mark was very difficult to see. You needed a loupe to see it and you had to tilt the coin in the correct angle in order to see it. That said, the damage while hidden to a novice collector would not escape the eye of an experienced collector or professional grader given that it was on the focal area of the obverse.

The purpose of my statement that the coin would make an excellent album addition was tantamount to an admission on my part that the coin would not grade.

I just don't understand these people who buy stuff on E-Bay.

I do. I don't.

I used the terminology "slight" because the slide mark was very difficult to see. You needed a loupe to see it and you had to tilt the coin in the correct angle in order to see it. That said, the damage while hidden to a novice collector would not escape the eye of an experienced collector or professional grader given that it was on the focal area of the obverse.

The purpose of my statement that the coin would make an excellent album addition was tantamount to an admission on my part that the coin would not grade.

I just don't understand these people who buy stuff on E-Bay.

I'm confused, as the way you describe the slide mark, it doesn't sound severe enough to merit a "damage" opinion.

But either way, to me, it was not clear from your description that the coin would not grade. If that was your intent, why didn't you state that in your description?

I think the negative feedback should be used when someone intentionally tries to rip someone off, or they are knowingly trying to sell an item that isn't what they say it is. If the buyer has questions about it, there is a place for questions to be asked. The buyer obviously wanted a coin that would grade, so why didn't he ask if the slide mark would prevent it from grading. I am new to the online transactions, and still don't fully trust them, but if I am not sure about something, I ask. Another obvious hint that the coin might not have graded would be the price. I don't know the value of this particular coin, but if you know that a coin you are looking for should sell between three and five hundred dollars in the condition that you want, you aren't going to get it in an auction that ends at $75. There are just too many people on there that know the value, and will try to get it if there is the possiblity that they themselves can turn a profit on it. Sounds like what this guy wanted to do, and in the end he paid what the coin was worth, and didn't get the steal he was looking for. Rather than take the scolding from his wife for buying another coin, he blames the seller for misrepresenting.

I think the negative feedback should be used when someone intentionally tries to rip someone off, or they are knowingly trying to sell an item that isn't what they say it is. If the buyer has questions about it, there is a place for questions to be asked. The buyer obviously wanted a coin that would grade, so why didn't he ask if the slide mark would prevent it from grading. I am new to the online transactions, and still don't fully trust them, but if I am not sure about something, I ask. Another obvious hint that the coin might not have graded would be the price. I don't know the value of this particular coin, but if you know that a coin you are looking for should sell between three and five hundred dollars in the condition that you want, you aren't going to get it in an auction that ends at $75. There are just too many people on there that know the value, and will try to get it if there is the possiblity that they themselves can turn a profit on it. Sounds like what this guy wanted to do, and in the end he paid what the coin was worth, and didn't get the steal he was looking for. Rather than take the scolding from his wife for buying another coin, he blames the seller for misrepresenting.

In this case, the buyer paid a price that corresponds to the approximate value of an MS65FB example. And that was before his grading and postage fees. I see no indication that he was looking for a "steal".

I agree with Mark. I think in the future, if you think there is something that would stop a coin from grading, You may want to add that from now on. Not saying that it would, it would just be your opinion.

I have two opinions about this situation. The first being, that the buyer probably reviewed Paul's established feedback prior to making an offer for this coin and did not fully understand what paul was subtly trying to communicate. I think there should have been perhaps a more free exchange of information between Seller & Buyer. This could have and should have been better handled by both parties. As things go, sometimes what we consider our best efforts often fall short of the expectations of others. ....it happens! Finally, I think the buyers NEGATIVE is inappropriate.

I do. I don't.

I agree with Mark only to the extent that if you knew the mark on the chin was severe enough to keep the coin from grading then I think slight slide mark may not have been a strong enough warning. If you thought the coin would still grade based on what you saw in hand then I thin slight might have been sufficient.

Of course the negative was completely uncalled for...in my experience with similar types of issues with Ebay they will side with the buyer simply because they don't have a clue about coins. Your one saving grace may be the amount of time it took from point of sale to the leaving of negative but since it's really the buyers opinion...Ebay doesn't require any proof that they are correct in their opinion.

If an experienced numismatist/collector/seller/dealer gives an opinion and describes a coin for the purpose of a possible monetary transaction, should the description of the coin being offered be as critical and in depth as the numismatist describes or gives an opinion on from time to time about other coins?

The slide mark is clearly visible across the obverse of the coin. I'm not sure I would have described it as slight - however, you did describe it and showed pictures of it. Yes, the damage is clearly enough to preclude problem-free grading. However, the joker should not have left negative feedback with no warning for a problem which you disclosed.

The slide mark is clearly visible across the obverse of the coin. I'm not sure I would have described it as slight - however, you did describe it and showed pictures of it. Yes, the damage is clearly enough to preclude problem-free grading. However, the joker should not have left negative feedback with no warning for a problem which you disclosed.

I think that's the biggest issue here.....the buyer is certainly allowed to be upset if he felt slighted by the transaction but to not reach out to you for a possible resolution is simply childish. If they would have contacted you and you told them to pound sand I could see the negative.....but no communication is certainly unfair.

My 2c here is that the buyer was a real piece of work for not contacting the seller first to work it out.

AND I also feel that the seller made it clear enough (to me at least) that his opinion is that this coin is NOT TPGS submission material.

I can understand Mark's thoughts on the description but that really depends on what the problem is...which I can't really tell from the photo.

However, buy sending the coin to PCGS the buyer pretty much used up his 7 or 14 day return privilege in doing so. It should be the buyer's responsibility at that point. Frankly, if this "clown" had any skills whatsoever he should have been able to tell the coin was "damaged". I mean, how do you even know PCGS rejected the coin? Maybe it actually came back MS64 and he wanted an MS65? What proof is there?

jom

Offer a full refund. Then you'll find out what his true colors are

But just for what he paid you, his grading fees are his problem.