• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Negative Feedback for a raw coin that the buyer submitted to PCGS

42 posts in this topic

I can understand Mark's thoughts on the description but that really depends on what the problem is...which I can't really tell from the photo.

However, buy sending the coin to PCGS the buyer pretty much used up his 7 or 14 day return privilege in doing so. It should be the buyer's responsibility at that point. Frankly, if this "clown" had any skills whatsoever he should have been able to tell the coin was "damaged". I mean, how do you even know PCGS rejected the coin? Maybe it actually came back MS64 and he wanted an MS65? What proof is there?

jom

How do you know the buyer didn't have "any skills whatsoever"? I know plenty of extremely sharp graders who have received no-grades at the grading companies. And often, for coins which later graded.

I can understand Mark's thoughts on the description but that really depends on what the problem is...which I can't really tell from the photo.

However, buy sending the coin to PCGS the buyer pretty much used up his 7 or 14 day return privilege in doing so. It should be the buyer's responsibility at that point. Frankly, if this "clown" had any skills whatsoever he should have been able to tell the coin was "damaged". I mean, how do you even know PCGS rejected the coin? Maybe it actually came back MS64 and he wanted an MS65? What proof is there?

jom

How do you know the buyer didn't have "any skills whatsoever"? I know plenty of extremely sharp graders who have received no-grades at the grading companies. And often, for coins which later graded.

None. I guess I was just a bit upset at the buyer since he seems to wants to have his cake and eat it to. They took NO RESPONSIBILITY at all. The listing never said it would grade at PCGS...in fact it said it was a good "album" piece.

I mean, really, Mark do you know of any sharp graders that do the "slab game" that would pull this kind of ? Most I know would take their hits and misses as part of the "game".

That being said, if this guy was a "sharp grader" and he missed this how can they expect Lehigh to be able catch it to put it in his listing?

jom

jom

None. I guess I was just a bit upset at the buyer since he seems to wants to have his cake and eat it to. They took NO RESPONSIBILITY at all. The listing never said it would grade at PCGS...in fact it said it was a good "album" piece.

I mean, really, Mark do you know of any sharp graders that do the "slab game" that would pull this kind of ? Most I know would take their hits and misses as part of the "game".

That being said, if this guy was a "sharp grader" and he missed this how can they expect Lehigh to be able catch it to put it in his listing?

jom

We haven't seen the coin in hand, and shouldn't judge the buyer on his grading skills. That's a separate matter from his behavior, which I think was poor.

If a no-grade on the coin was a virtual slam dunk, it was priced high for what it was. Thus I believe the description should have been more transparent regarding the damage. I say that despite the fact that I have done business with and like the seller.

The buyer needs to assume the risk, if sent for grading, unless the seller agrees otherwise. How many of us have seen coins with scuffs and/or scratches, either mint-caused or post mint? Most all. Some have graded, while others haven't. It is a subjective dice roll, at best.

We haven't seen the coin in hand, and shouldn't judge the buyer on his grading skills. That's a separate matter from his behavior, which I think was poor.

If a no-grade on the coin was a virtual slam dunk, it was priced high for what it was. Thus I believe the description should have been more transparent regarding the damage. I say that despite the fact that I have done business with and like the seller.

I agree on all counts. I overreacted a bit.

The buyer needs to assume the risk, if sent for grading, unless the seller agrees otherwise.

The buyer also broke the coin out of the whatever "holder" it was in (paper possibly) to submit so why wouldn't that be considered by eBay here? eBay is just way over the top in how it handles these things....

Whatever the case, now that sellers are getting many of these questionable negs on their feedback maybe potential buyers won't assume the worst about the sellers. So a couple of negs won't be so much of a stigma on seller's reputations...it's just part of the business. (shrug)

jom

I agree on all counts. I overreacted a bit.

The buyer needs to assume the risk, if sent for grading, unless the seller agrees otherwise.

The buyer also broke the coin out of the whatever "holder" it was in (paper possibly) to submit so why wouldn't that be considered by eBay here? eBay is just way over the top in how it handles these things....

Whatever the case, now that sellers are getting many of these questionable negs on their feedback maybe potential buyers won't assume the worst about the sellers. So a couple of negs won't be so much of a stigma on seller's reputations...it's just part of the business. (shrug)

jom

I saw that the seller also had a NEUTRAL feedback from a different transaction. It stated that it was b/c seller didn't leave positive feedback FIRST until buyer left him positive. That is RIDICULOUS and so unfair given the new eBay rules. Why would a buyer do that?? People are just ignorant sometimes. Sellers can't leave negative but they can sure leave NONE. Buyer only spited himself.

Ironically, I divulged that the coin was damaged in my description of the coin in the BIN listing: A supremely lustrous blast white GEM BU Mercury Dime with full bands. Slight album slide mark across the jaw line. A dynamite album coin.

Who thinks I should have been more clear in my description? Furthermore, who agrees with the buyers negative feedback?

I see nothing in that description that indicates that the coin is damaged. You've called it a GEM BU and then mention a "Slight album slide mark across the jaw line." That would make me believe that the coin were MS65 with the slide mark, but without it the coin would have graded much higher.

We also don't know what PCGS saw to call it damaged. It could be the slide marks or it could be something else that isn't clearly visible in the picture. Also, PCGS could have screwed up. I''ve had them call coins damaged only to grade the next time. I've also had coins that were obviously damaged and sent in for genuine only holders come back with grades. Weird things happen.

As for the neg, just reply to it and move on. eBay is not going to to anything about it. Your first neg always sucks. By the 10th, you don't give a mess anymore. The feedback system is so flawed that it is useless. I've got at least half a dozen negs from buyers who claimed non-recepit and I refunded. They still left negs! Non-paying bidders have left negs and eBay won't remove them! :facepalm:

Ironically, I divulged that the coin was damaged in my description of the coin in the BIN listing: A supremely lustrous blast white GEM BU Mercury Dime with full bands. Slight album slide mark across the jaw line. A dynamite album coin.

Who thinks I should have been more clear in my description? Furthermore, who agrees with the buyers negative feedback?

I see nothing in that description that indicates that the coin is damaged. You've called it a GEM BU and then mention a "Slight album slide mark across the jaw line." That would make me believe that the coin were MS65 with the slide mark, but without it the coin would have graded much higher.

We also don't know what PCGS saw to call it damaged. It could be the slide marks or it could be something else that isn't clearly visible in the picture. Also, PCGS could have screwed up. I''ve had them call coins damaged only to grade the next time. I've also had coins that were obviously damaged and sent in for genuine only holders come back with grades. Weird things happen.

As for the neg, just reply to it and move on. eBay is not going to to anything about it. Your first neg always sucks. By the 10th, you don't give a mess anymore. The feedback system is so flawed that it is useless. I've got at least half a dozen negs from buyers who claimed non-recepit and I refunded. They still left negs! Non-paying bidders have left negs and eBay won't remove them! :facepalm:

FWIW, that's exactly how I see it.

On April 3, 2013 I sold a raw Mercury Dime on E-Bay for $52 (see auction link below)

1940-S Mercury Dime GEM BU FB (Full Bands)

MD1940-SGEMBUFB_zpsdf218420.jpg

On May 17, 2013 with absolutely no warning or communication from the buyer, he leaves me negative feedback (my first) that says: Per PCGS, coin was damaged.

"Slight album slide marks" should not result in a damaged no-grade, and I would not have assumed this coin was not gradable from the description provided.

It was wrong of the buyer not to communicate with you and to wait for PCGS to tell him there was a problem before taking it out on you.

I don't really care about the negative feedback but I don't want to lose my FVF discount either. FWIW, I think PCGS got it right but the damage is not easy for a novice to see. I will assume that the buyer is a novice if he didn't see the slide marks and decided to submit a $50 coin for grading anyway.

On April 3, 2013 I sold a raw Mercury Dime on E-Bay for $52 (see auction link below).l

I do. I don't.

To me, "slight album slide mark" does not equate with or amount to "damage" of the type which typically results in a no-grade. So it sounds as if you might have understated the severity of the flaw.

On the other hand, the buyer had an opportunity to inspect the coin, shouldn't have made his feedback dependent upon the opinion of PCGS and should have contacted you before leaving negatve feedback.

I only read the first couple of responses. But normal slidemarks are not "damage". Rather I think there counting wheel damage on the reverse, upper right field.

Still, that bidder is a flaming idi0t.