• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Toned Peace in Legend-Morphy Auction

228 posts in this topic

WOWZAH!!!

Jerseycat, Mumu, and others have been saving up for this piece I bet!

I bet Mark Feld will bid and win this OR if he gives it his thumbs up, Ankur will kill the competition :D :D

WOWZAH!!!

Jerseycat, Mumu, and others have been saving up for this piece I bet!

I bet Mark Feld will bid and win this OR if he gives it his thumbs up, Ankur will kill the competition :D :D

:signfunny:

It does have a CAC green bean, so Ankur might be in the running! lol

My guess is that this coin will go for moon money. While it is "colorful", I don't particularly care for it. (shrug)

While very colorful I dont feel that "must have" feeling over it. I have seen other people's P$ for which that feeling would be strong but I dont think I'd pursue this one even if it was an MS 63 looking to crack the 500$ range.

coinsarefun posted this in another forum about the history of this coin:

"I strolled through coinfacts and see that this coin started out as a 64, graduated to a 64+ and now resides in a 65 holder."

Does that change anyone's opinion about the color premium?

I know with toners they sometimes look like the photo, but other times they aren't even close. Looking forward to seeing this one in hand at the PCGS show later this month.

I have been told by someone who has seen this coin in hand, that its very marked up under the toning on both sides. For what it's worth.

You can see heavy activity on Lady Lib's neck and chin and a very large gash between T and Y in liberty. That gash alone would keep any coin not owned by a rich famed collector to a 64 at best.

I have been told by someone who has seen this coin in hand, that its very marked up under the toning on both sides. For what it's worth.

You can see heavy activity on Lady Lib's neck and chin and a very large gash between T and Y in liberty. That gash alone would keep any coin not owned by a rich famed collector to a 64 at best.

Based on the photographs and the thick toning, I don't know how anyone can devise an accurate grade on the basis of the photograph alone. The marks that you allude to do not necessarily preclude gem status (unless I am overlooking several marks).

Based on the photographs and the thick toning, I don't know how anyone can devise an accurate grade on the basis of the photograph alone. The marks that you allude to do not necessarily preclude gem status (unless I am overlooking several marks).

I realize seeing a coin in hand and so on...but were on the internet so here's how I go about it.

100643_obv.jpg

Even looking at the color pics I wasnt sure this coin was a 65. Thanks Mumu for the B&Ws which more clearly show the marks. Now knowing the grade history, it becomes more apparent that its more than likely a solid 64. I dont know if the grade was given because of who owned the coin or it was just given a "bump" for color...

It will be interesting to see how deep someone gets buried in this coin...

In addition to the toning (which I don't personally find very attractive), there are definitely some hits I would say preclude a grade of "gem". Even the rims look beat up. In addition, there are a smattering of very black spots that I really don't like. Under the "D" in "GOD", in the flowing hair, and at the top of Miss Liberty's head.

I know many will say "but with toning like that, the technical grade is secondary". And, for those people I say, have at it! It's all yours. The opening bid is a multiple of what I'd pay for it. (shrug)

Even looking at the color pics I wasnt sure this coin was a 65. Thanks Mumu for the B&Ws which more clearly show the marks. Now knowing the grade history, it becomes more apparent that its more than likely a solid 64. I dont know if the grade was given because of who owned the coin or it was just given a "bump" for color...

It will be interesting to see how deep someone gets buried in this coin...

How do you plan to determine "how deep someone gets buried in this coin"? You sound as if that is a much easier, precise and more objective process than I am aware of.