• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opportunity knocks.... alas.... not enough money.

33 posts in this topic

I'm in the minority, I guess. I don't find it attractive.

Lance.

I think some of us are following the old maxim that if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all.

Lance.

I think some of us are following the old maxim that if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all.

Well said.

Lance.

I guess I'm part of that minority too. Perhaps if you absolutely have to have a naturally toned Peace dollar, this coin at this price is for somebody with a lot of money to burn who does not mind getting buried in a coin he really likes. Gray Sheet bid for a 1923 Peace dollar in MS-66 is $425. Does the no very attractive toning (IMO *) make this piece worth almost 13 times bid? Not in my opinion. To me not having the money to buy this piece is a blessing in disguise.

I wonder what CAC is willing to pay for it? That would be the acid test if you want to know what this coin is worth.

* Not very attractive - white spots in the toning, darker colors that might not be breathtakingly showcased by the luster under them and a reverse that looks like an MS-63 to me. For 13 times bid a coin has to sing, dance and do handsprings to even get a second interview from me. And at that price there is a 99% chance that it would still flunk.

I like the other toned Peace dollar in the NGC MS-63 holder that was posted in this area earlier better. I'm not a fan of either, but I'd take that over this piece especially for the price.

Lance.

I guess I'm part of that minority too. Perhaps if you absolutely have to have a naturally toned Peace dollar, this coin at this price is for somebody with a lot of money to burn who does not mind getting buried in a coin he really likes. Gray Sheet bid for a 1923 Peace dollar in MS-66 is $425. Does the no very attractive toning (IMO *) make this piece worth almost 13 times bid? Not in my opinion. To me not having the money to buy this piece is a blessing in disguise.

I wonder what CAC is willing to pay for it? That would be the acid test if you want to know what this coin is worth.

* Not very attractive - white spots in the toning, darker colors that might not be breathtakingly showcased by the luster under them and a reverse that looks like an MS-63 to me. For 13 times bid a coin has to sing, dance and do handsprings to even get a second interview from me. And at that price there is a 99% chance that it would still flunk.

+1. Bill has said it all.

As I'm learning about coins, I looked this up and found a $650 price tag, a far cry from $5500! I thought the spots would detract from the coin as well.

I also did a quick google on CAC and kind of chuckled. So PCGS grades the coin, most admit one of the strictest graders, yet along comes another group who says "Yep that's the correct grade", slaps a green holographic sticker on it and that entitles said owner to multiply the price by 8-12 times? CAC seems rather redundant. Meaningless to me.

The high price isn't because of the CAC sticker it's because of the toning and the fact that it's rare to see a Peace dollar with that type and amount of toning. With that said...the splotchy nature of the toning does not lend itself to that price tag in any stretch of the imagination. I can respect the attempt and someone may indeed buy the coin which is their right but there certainly could not be any upside potential at that price and I have seen much better coins out there with lower price tags.

The high price isn't because of the CAC sticker it's because of the toning and the fact that it's rare to see a Peace dollar with that type and amount of toning. With that said...the splotchy nature of the toning does not lend itself to that price tag in any stretch of the imagination. I can respect the attempt and someone may indeed buy the coin which is their right but there certainly could not be any upside potential at that price and I have seen much better coins out there with lower price tags.

thanks for the comment on the CAC. Wasn't sure why the price was so elevated. I like toned coins too, but this one just doesn't appeal to me.

That is very unique toning and I really like it, dont mind the splotchy spots as that is booming luster busting thru the color and I like that look, but wow 5500? My bid at auction would be 1000$ and I have bid strong before on coins i like IMO. That is rather aggresive/ambitious pricing.

I agree with the majority on this one... yes, its a nice coin.

Is it worth $5500 ? Not to the majority of us. I did notice

that it had a CAC sticker. I normally don't bother discussing

this feature - but from what I have heard, CAC is extremely

conservative with giving out their stickers on Peace Dollars.

I don't collect the series - I only have a few [ all dated 1921 ]

and I seriously doubt I'll ever attempt to complete a set.

If the coin were listed for half its listed price, I still wouldn't

think anything of it and just agree, yes, its a nice coin.

This thread just goes to show there is something out there for everyone. I do NOT like that coin whatsoever but others do. Which is great!

As to the price I'm thinking it's way too much but should I really be commenting on that since I clearly don't like the coin? Probably not....

jom