• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1983 Penny weighing 3.1g Found, now nothhing?
1 1

94 posts in this topic

A Little Help Please

Before you say where's the picture, I am making sure I actually have something of value first. If I do and someone has an offer, I will post the video of me placing it on a scale as verification. I haven't been collecting long, just since I inherited my grandpa's small collection and found some coins so beautiful, I picked up the hobby. So, about two months ago, in talking with a few "coin collectors", they asked me to look for a 1983 penny weighing 3.1g. I probably have weighed about 100 '83 pennies, all 2.5 or 2.6 depending. But not today. Today I pop one on and bingo. 3.1 Very excited, I jump online and can find the following three statements about it...

Yeah, the legendary 83. 6 years I've looked, and nothin. Heard they are out there

The coin is a farse. Not one penny from 1983 weighs 3.1g unless its covered with .5 in dirt

There are a bunch floating around, they have no value what-so-ever

So, what is it. I have one. It's the honest truth. Will deliver tonight haha!

Edited by CampysCoins

'All 1983 cents were minted on zinc planchets coated with a thin layer of copper. The last solid copper cents were minted in mid-1982, and there are no reports of any copper blanks accidentally being mixed with the zinc ones in later years.

Bottom line: as far as anyone knows, there was no repetition of the accident that allowed some copper cents to be minted back in 1943.

actually according to "the cherry pickers guide to rare error coins and die varieties" there is a rare variety of 1983 cent that were mistakenly struck on solid copper. the copper coin should have a weight of 3.1 grams. If you find a solid copper 1983 penny it is rare and valuable. the last one found sold for 15,000'

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_a_copper_penny_of_1983_a_valuable_coin#ixzz26yaddOen

What ever you do DO NOT SELL that coin! It is extremely RARE! Its what we call in the coin collecting business a RIPPLE! I have been a coin broker and appraiser for 25+ years! I have never seen one but heard of two in private collections! The first sold at auction for 15k 7 years ago and the 2nd coin sale was not revealed to the public! Pictures are tough to come by because you cant really show weight of a coin! My recommendation keep it!......Or find a HIGH END coin auction house! Could be worth six figures1

A Little Help Please

Before you say where's the picture, I am making sure I actually have something of value first. If I do and someone has an offer, I will post the video of me placing it on a scale as verification. I haven't been collecting long, just since I inherited my grandpa's small collection and found some coins so beautiful, I picked up the hobby. So, about two months ago, in talking with a few "coin collectors", they asked me to look for a 1983 penny weighing 3.1g. I probably have weighed about 100 '83 pennies, all 2.5 or 2.6 depending. But not today. Today I pop one on and bingo. 3.1 Very excited, I jump online and can find the following three statements about it...

Yeah, the legendary 83. 6 years I've looked, and nothin. Heard they are out there

The coin is a farse. Not one penny from 1983 weighs 3.1g unless its covered with .5 in dirt

There are a bunch floating around, they have no value what-so-ever

So, what is it. I have one. It's the honest truth. Will deliver tonight haha!

Honestly Campy, I live on the west coast and I'm about to go to bed. Coins are my life! I just joined this site today and found this thread fairly interesting. Not to offend you but without some sort of proof it is tough to take you seriously. Morgan O and 1983 D 3.1g??? If you do have both of those coins you could be looking at two nice paydays! Good nite

Just to be accurate:

1) There were never any 100% copper Lincoln cents struck.

They were 95% copper 5% zinc & tin.

2) If you have it show it.

I would if I had it.

3) Never would cost $600 to slab, unless you have a walk thru at a show.

Normal about $30+ or -.

4) In spite of the large type above, the piece is worth what it is.

Regardless of the 6 figure estimates

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

If you have reason to believe that it's an authentic 1983 cent of the .950 copper composition, you should submit it to NGC for certification. There is an extra $12 fee for mint errors which you'll need to include, but it would certainly be worth it if the coin is proved genuine.

'All 1983 cents were minted on zinc planchets coated with a thin layer of copper. The last solid copper cents were minted in mid-1982, and there are no reports of any copper blanks accidentally being mixed with the zinc ones in later years.

Bottom line: as far as anyone knows, there was no repetition of the accident that allowed some copper cents to be minted back in 1943.

actually according to "the cherry pickers guide to rare error coins and die varieties" there is a rare variety of 1983 cent that were mistakenly struck on solid copper. the copper coin should have a weight of 3.1 grams. If you find a solid copper 1983 penny it is rare and valuable. the last one found sold for 15,000'

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_a_copper_penny_of_1983_a_valuable_coin#ixzz26yaddOen

I believe there are probably just as many, if not more of the 1983 error cents. The problem is that most people don't know they exist.

Everyone and their grandmother know to look for 1943 copper (and to a lesser extent) 1944 steel cents. Those errors are also MUCH easier to spot. This coin would look just like any other 1983 Lincoln until you weighed it, which makes all the difference.

-Paul

Just to be accurate:

1) There were never any 100% copper Lincoln cents struck.

They were 95% copper 5% zinc & tin.

2) If you have it show it.

I would if I had it.

3) Never would cost $600 to slab, unless you have a walk thru at a show.

Normal about $30+ or -.

4) In spite of the large type above, the piece is worth what it is.

Regardless of the 6 figure estimates

Even show walkthroughs aren't that expensive.

I sold it already, sorry I'm just getting back to the forum. Why would I lie about the grading fee? I even called PCGS. Go to pcgs.com and click service fees. Then look at ultra rarities.... $600 as I stated and yes, at $250.... "Even show walkthroughs aren't that expensive."

I was hearing from some coin dealers that it was worthless and others said it should go to auction. Still others said there are probably 1000's but no one knows to weigh them. He said the advertisement by the auction house may cause people to start which would drop the value. He offered me $100. Then, I went to a pawn shop in Gilroy, Ca and showed the owner, he said hold on, brought a scale out, weighed it, it showed 3.0g. He weighed a 89 penny, it said 2.5 and a 87 penny and it said 2.5, then an 84 and it was 2.6. He then grabbed an 81 and a 77 and both weighed 3.1g. He said he needed to make a call, came back and offered $3,000 cash on the spot and I hesitated none in saying deal. Did I make a bad decision?

You are incorrect about the $600 grading fee...that fee is charged for known ultra rarities which you do not know you have yet, in fact can never be, because I do not think it is in the same circle as say a 1913 Liberty nickel or even a 1804 silver dollar.

I say just for the record, that I think most of this story is BS, unless you have definite proof, but til then I remain skeptical.

Stranger things have happened, but when they do, the people claiming offer proof, I have seen none.

I do not like my leg pulled

You are incorrect about the $600 grading fee...that fee is charged for known ultra rarities which you do not know you have yet, in fact can never be, because I do not think it is in the same circle as say a 1913 Liberty nickel or even a 1804 silver dollar.

I say just for the record, that I think most of this story is BS, unless you have definite proof, but til then I remain skeptical.

Stranger things have happened, but when they do, the people claiming offer proof, I have seen none.

I do not like my leg pulled

+1

I thought it was real, till the OP insisted on not providing pics, video or any other kind of proof, then suddenly didn't have the coin anymore cause he sold it for $3K (after talking about 6-figure prices).

Waste of time

Wondering if this post still has any life left since last post was back in 2012. I have both 1983 pennies. one with D other plain. weighs 3.1 grams. Google mentions it's worth could be $15,000.00 was about to say until I learn how to post a picture... but scrolling a little more found it. lets see if it works. 

82D_82plain.jpg

82D_3.1grams.jpg

82plain_3.1grams.jpg

82plain_2.4grams.jpg

09_2.5grams.jpg