• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1983 Penny weighing 3.1g Found, now nothhing?
1 1

94 posts in this topic

On 9/19/2012 at 8:05 PM, CampysCoins-migration said:

A Little Help Please

Before you say where's the picture, I am making sure I actually have something of value first. If I do and someone has an offer, I will post the video of me placing it on a scale as verification. I haven't been collecting long, just since I inherited my grandpa's small collection and found some coins so beautiful, I picked up the hobby. So, about two months ago, in talking with a few "coin collectors", they asked me to look for a 1983 penny weighing 3.1g. I probably have weighed about 100 '83 pennies, all 2.5 or 2.6 depending. But not today. Today I pop one on and bingo. 3.1 Very excited, I jump online and can find the following three statements about it...

So, what is it. I have one. It's the honest truth. Will deliver tonight haha!

Put it on a scale and take a picture.  Then I might believe it. That's 

3 hours ago, WoodenJefferson said:

doh!

LMAO ROFL the slap is killing me more than my embarrassment. I missed the topic was about the 1983 since two days prior I found both pennies and google said the 1982 pennies had value. my 10 year old daughter read my face, after telling her the details she was excited, had to tell her not to get her hopes up to high cause she was already making plans. No not for spending, more of; using that money for full custody, that's what she wants. doesn't matter, slowly but surely we'll get there.  Thanx for the Laugh.

I make plenty of mistakes that are brought to my attention, I consider it a learning experience and not offended.

It looks like some of those pennies are  a LARGE date 1982d and a SMALL date 1982 with no mint mark.  Not worth much unless a  doubled die variety . 

I didn't see a 1983 weighing in at 3.1. 

What your looking for is :

a small date D 1982 penny weighing in at 3.1 

or

a 1983 penny weighing in at 3.1

neither of which I saw in the pictures. You have large date and small date 1982's, yet not the rare mint mark matching the weight and date . 

9 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Good luck to you and your daughter.

Ditto. I have not collected since well 1982ish and the learning curve  is challenging and mistakes only make us better. Good luck and remember... Have fun. That's why we do this!

On 6/3/2018 at 11:33 PM, Rikki said:

Ditto. I have not collected since well 1982ish and the learning curve  is challenging and mistakes only make us better. Good luck and remember... Have fun. That's why we do this!

Everyones comments are appreciated. agreed with mistakes makes us better. I told my daughter every copper penny she finds I'll pay the 2.5 current price and if will round off to the nearest hundreds. she's a math wiz for her age. she said "sounds like fun"

On 6/4/2018 at 12:24 AM, shazlehurst said:

It looks like some of those pennies are  a LARGE date 1982d and a SMALL date 1982 with no mint mark.  Not worth much unless a  doubled die variety . 

or

neither of which I saw in the pictures. You have large date and small date 1982's, yet not the rare mint mark matching the weight and date . 

Like this one

IMG_20181125_234102009.jpg

If you want to see a real transitional planchett check out the blog post on this website titled 1945 cyclonite. I just posted my 1983 brass planchet today and it weighs 2.97 grams not to be confused with a 1983 bronze planchett weighing 3.1 grams. I am still coin roll hunting for one of those. I will try to post any transitional planchetts I find in the future their. I have two in my collection so far. Happy coin roll hunting. 

🐓:  Are you going to tell him, or should I?

Q.A.:  How old is it?

🐓:  The last reply: two years; the thread, ten.

Q.A.:  He just got back. Everybody's happy to see him. He's just adding to the conversation. Let it ride!

On 6/3/2018 at 9:24 PM, shazlehurst said:

or

IMG_0294.JPG

On 10/21/2022 at 7:42 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

IMG_0294.JPGThe only way it will be worth anything is to have it authenticated by a TPG. Until then you just have a 1983 cent in an unverifiable picture.  Worth one cent without verification.  

Did you get an XRF scan? XRF will penetrate the 8 micron thick copper plating and will easily show if it's a zinc or copper  blank.

Take a closeup pic of the coin. It's usually pretty easy to tell if there are plating anomolies.

I would think somebody with a potential 4-5 figure coin would do more than just post "look at my blog".  Let's see some good pics and XRF data. 

Edited by Oldhoopster

On 10/21/2022 at 5:41 PM, Oldhoopster said:

IMG_0294.JPGThe only way it will be worth anything is to have it authenticated by a TPG. Until then you just have a 1983 cent in an unverifiable picture.  Worth one cent without verification.  

Did you get an XRF scan? XRF will penetrate the 8 micron thick copper plating and will easily show if it's a zinc or copper  blank.

Take a closeup pic of the coin. It's usually pretty easy to tell if there are plating anomolies.

I would think somebody with a potential 4-5 figure coin would do more than just post "look at my blog".  Let's see some good pics and XRF data. 

Its not a for figure coin its probably zinc coated. I called the bank today to get more circulated boxes to search for a real 3.1g 1983 bronze cent. I will try to take better pictures though I have a nikon but I misplaced my disk drive so I cant really use the camera to upload picks.

On 10/21/2022 at 10:49 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

Its not a for figure coin its probably zinc coated. I called the bank today to get more circulated boxes to search for a real 3.1g 1983 bronze cent. I will try to take better pictures though I have a nikon but I misplaced my disk drive so I cant really use the camera to upload picks.

You have me confused. If you don't believe it's a copper planchet, why did you spam multiple old threads with this?  You keep posting about transitional errors. Why?

There are many extremely knowledgeable numismatists on this forum that can help you.  But don't play games.  That's the quickest way for a new collector to get ignored

BTW. Only a handful of transitional 1983 planchets have been authenticated out 775,000,000 minted.  You have a better odds of hitting the Powerball than you do of finding one

On 10/22/2022 at 10:41 AM, Oldhoopster said:

....You have a better odds of hitting the Powerball than you do of finding one

[You do realize the gentleman @pigeonman333rd was directing his comments to was last heard from four years ago today. To be fair, if the patron Saint of Numismatics finds it in his heart to forgive my trespasses, and shows me favor via Powerball, with a drawing few hours nigh at 11 p.m. to-nite, I shall be in a most benevolent mood. Gotta be in it to win it!]  :whistle:

Ha Ha Ha What's up I was at work at 11pm. I've been trying to buy up all the rolls of unc 1998,1999, and 2000 wide am cents so less are certified because I got alot, in my mind their not rare if they can certify them all. I got to retire on something. 

20221023_015611.jpg

On 10/23/2022 at 4:58 AM, pigeonman333rd said:

Ha Ha Ha What's up I was at work at 11pm. I've been trying to buy up all the rolls of unc 1998,1999, and 2000 wide am cents so less are certified because I got alot, in my mind their not rare if they can certify them all. I got to retire on something. 

20221023_015611.jpg

What are we looking at in your pic? It's known that the 2000 WAM is the most common of these varieties with the 98 and 99 being common as well.. Here is some additional info on WAMs and CAMs http://lincolncentresource.com/wideams.html

On 10/23/2022 at 9:01 AM, Oldhoopster said:

What are we looking at in your pic? It's known that the 2000 WAM is the most common of these varieties with the 98 and 99 being common as well.. Here is some additional info on WAMs and CAMs http://lincolncentresource.com/wideams.html

What about the 2000 s close am proof reverse? That link is a good resource but they don't mention the 2000 close am proof reverse. Further more I know their not rare that picture is a book that I have filled with mostly 2000 wide am cents but theirs a half a page of 1999's and a page of 1998s and two pages of 2000 close am proof reverses. The point is if they are all horded the population stays low. The value will go up in years time. The second coins I did this with are the 2009 copper satin cents. I bought in at .36 cents a piece and bought 5000. The problem with all of these is that they are modern cents and not many people collect them. If you find any information on 2000 S close am reverse cents it would be greatly appreciated.  

These are all investments for another generation of collectors not me man. I figure if people new how many their actually were they would stop collecting them. The red book I thought was a good resource to find mintages that are low but I was wrong. I had seen that the 2014 s proof cent was low mintage in the 2014 red book but by 2020 the red book had a higher mintage for the coin. I bought 400 at 2.00 a piece and it was the worst investment in modern small cents I ever made. I figure all this junk will be worth something when I am dead and gone. I will never sell any of them they are for the future penny collector. 

On 10/23/2022 at 12:24 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

What about the 2000 s close am proof reverse? That link is a good resource but they don't mention the 2000 close am proof reverse. Further more I know their not rare that picture is a book that I have filled with mostly 2000 wide am cents but theirs a half a page of 1999's and a page of 1998s and two pages of 2000 close am proof reverses. The point is if they are all horded the population stays low. The value will go up in years time. The second coins I did this with are the 2009 copper satin cents. I bought in at .36 cents a piece and bought 5000. The problem with all of these is that they are modern cents and not many people collect them. If you find any information on 2000 S close am reverse cents it would be greatly appreciated.  

From the Lincoln Cent Resource link I posted.  They don't say much but if you had actually read the link, they do mention the 2000-S CAM.  

From the link you didn't read

Furthermore, discovering something like a 2000 S Close AM would be truly rare.  

Not in my book their not rare they are modern coins. Maybe in 100 years time they will have a value. I don't pay much for them though I buy them in rolls at bargain prices. I bought 50 2000 s close am proofs at .50 cents a piece. Some day in about 100 years some one will find my hoard and what a thrill that will be. I have stored with them all the counterfeits I have found from a coin roll hunt in wiliston Vermont. The counterfeits are 1943 copper cents with no vdb and no hairline a bunch of 1944 steel cents all counterfeit all things that are worthless but you can't throw a counterfeit back in change. I kinda gotta keep it all stashed and it will die with me before I sell it for less then I paid for it. Not to change the subject but did you know their are coin shops that have a four for a dollar bin here in Oregon that have lots of the 2014 s proof cent, and thats the day I found out I paid to much for them. 

Those things are at my sisters house in vermont stashed away with the other minute treasures. I have started a new book for adding to the hoard later. I am currently in oregon collecting more junk but I can try some day. I may be able to get more of them I saved the seller on ebay. I thought all of the wam clam was only semi precious has something changed. I don't have any 1999 or 1998 s close am proofs. The ones I got came from silver proof sets saved by the seller. It was in the add.

On 10/23/2022 at 12:24 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

is a book that I have filled with mostly 2000 wide am cents but theirs a half a page of 1999's and a page of 1998s and two pages of 2000 close am proof reverses. 

Im not usually one to say anything but Im calling BS. That many rare coins and bought them for 50 cents a piece. Rolls and pages full of them. Then asked to show proof and they just happen to be stashed a few states away where cant just get a picture of them. If I had luck that good Id play the powerball and hit it 10 times in a row. Just one of those 2000 s close AM cents are very doubtful. Then to have 50 of them that someone sold for 50 cents a piece. Its just hard for me to believe. Probably hard for anyone else on this forum to believe also. Even all the other CAMs and Wams that are a little more common but still semi rare. Id believe someone having a couple or something like that. But to have rolls and pages full is beyond belief for me. Youd have a better chance proving to me that bigfoot is real. 

On 10/24/2022 at 8:35 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Im not usually one to say anything but Im calling BS. That many rare coins and bought them for 50 cents a piece. Rolls and pages full of them. Then asked to show proof and they just happen to be....

I see a more pragmatic problem. The last time anyone tried to corner the silver market, driving the spot price to nearly $50/oz., we know how that turned out [Hunt bros./1980].  And publicizing your strategy on a nationwide Forum before a live studio audience, well, it only takes one attentive member to muse, "Hey, wasn't that the passenger pigeon that flew the coop one day only to return and regale us with a similar tale?..."  🙄 

On 10/24/2022 at 10:57 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I see a more pragmatic problem. The last time anyone tried to corner the silver market, driving the spot price to nearly $50/oz., we know how that turned out [Hunt bros./1980].  And publicizing your strategy on a nationwide Forum before a live studio audience, well, it only takes one attentive member to muse, "Hey, wasn't that the passenger pigeon that flew the coop one day only to return and regale us with a similar tale?..."  🙄 

It's not whether he is trying to corner the market, it's whether he actually has them.  So far, no pics of any CAM or WAM.  The Lincoln Cent Resource site said the 2000-S CAM is "truly rare", yet this guy claims to have pages of them.  Without any pics, what do you think the odds of this guy having a large number of them, versus the guy can't accurately tell the difference between CAM and WAM.  I'm betting on the latter.

He was given the information and links to some great pics on Lincoln Cent Resource to identify CAM and WAM from both the spacing and initials. Now he disappeared after the story the coins are in another state.  Reminds me of the kid in Jr High that said he had a hot girlfriend who lived in another state.  Yeah, right.

So far, he has provided no evidence that he is capable of identifying CAMs and WAMs.  How many of his hoard do you think are misidentified?